PS3+HD price speculation: Cast your vote / Analysis

Price for a PS3 + HD (see detailed package below) in the US at launch day?

• Total voters
MasaC said:
Replace the component cable with standard AV cable. Remove the head set, the network cable and the remote. Replace the DVD unit with a HD-DVD unit and replace the 20 GB HDD with a 60 GB HDD unit. How much more would that cost to produce?

Probably quite a lot more. Your assuming the rest of the systems are "equal" though, also..they're not.

My point is also that if estimating how much Sony could charge for PS3 relative to 360, you not only have to look at manufacturing cost, but what 360 charges for those features - the value placed on them by your competition. The wifi is a classic example - probably quite cheap for MS to manufacture, but it costs the consumer $100. And that's all the consumer cares about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laa-Yosh said:
It's okay to calculate the price of the PS3, but I think that getting a machine onto a shop shelf costs a bit more then the hardware components. Does the retailer make any money on it? How much is the packaging? How much does it cost to ship the console from the assembly plant to the shop? These all add up to some money as well...

I'm not in a position to provide firm comment on the retailer issue, maybe someone else could offer a better explanation, but I have always assumed that in the razor blade model the retailers tend to have zero to negative margins on the actual hardware.

My magic crystal predicts $399 (in US).

PS3 can't be seen to be more expensive than 360, that way Sony can shout that they are offering a superior product at same price. And who knows MS may also drop 360 price. And also BR movies (and standalone players) will be costly at PS3 launch, launching PS3 at $399 will encourage people to buy costly BR movies.

And who knows Sony could offer cheaper BR movies with PS3 at launch. :???:

My guess is they will sell the PS3 like the PSP, the base system and with a value pack.

Base PS3 + Controller = $349

Value Pack ( HDD + 32 MB Memory Stick + HDMI) = $49.99

PS3 all sold as value pack at launch = $399.

They will also have another value pack $99 in a couple months = 60 GB HDD + 64MB Stick + HDMI Cable + Controller + Remote

Speng.

$399

For such a supposedly intelligent forum, there are a lot of dumb guesstimates here.

PS3 WILL SELL FOR $399....no more and no less, and that is with an HD.

Now here's why.

Firstly, this new Nov. launch thing gives sony extra time to mass manufactor units for launch. That means, that manufactoring costs will be lower per unit than if they did the Jap launch earlier and and the US launch in Nov. I'm willing to bet they have close to 3 to 4M units for the world wide launch. Producing such a huge number of consoles in such a short time will obvouisly decrease the cost per unit.

Secondly, you people need to realize that first impressions are everything. By launching at a $450+ price everyone tags the PS3 as too expensive. Also you have to expect that by Xmas, the X360 premium may be prices at $299 to counter Sony.

You obvoiusly can not have two similar consoles selling at a $200 price difference! Especially when the only immediate advantage is blu-ray.

Thirdly you all are way overestimating the blu-ray impact. Yes it may every well cost $100+ at launch, but c'mom people. How long do you expect it to cost so much? In a few months that cost will half. You can easily consider that huge blu-ray cost to be R&D because that is exactly why it it costing so much.

Also, the cell, the RSX and the ram are not any more expensive that what MS is paying for in the 360. Blu-ray and the other little features are the only real difference.

It is a more than worthy gamble for Sony to realease at $399

I expect no higher.....mark my words.

Rajeev for such bold accusations though as to the reasoning of the rest of the forum, your own logic is flawed. Now leaving the whole debate as to the actual price point behind us, I think you paint too broad a stroke when it comes to manufacturing expenses. Certainly a delay in the onset of manufacturing will probably benefit the initial cost to produce Sony will face, but you seem to bring economies of scale into the picture in a slightly inappropriate way. Truthfully I have to say that Sony will be producing no more or no less than they would have been producing before this: as many as they can non-stop once manufacturing begins. What does it matter if you have a production run of - say - 3 million, and you start selling those consoles after the 1 millionth one has been produced vs the 3 millionth? The advantage here is the advantage of certain technologies possibly being more mature when manufacturing begins, not any advantage of scale. Stockpiling doesn't reduce costs to manufacture, and the cost per unit is still what it is. The first units produced will be more expensive than the units produced later on; date of sale will not effect those manufacturing costs once manufacturing has begun.

Now Blu-ray. I think you're also taking this much too lightly. That $100 price difference we're throwing up has nothing to do with R&D, it has to do with higher component prices. Diodes, OPUs, etc... It's just plain more expensive to make a Blu-ray drive than another sort at this point, and R&D costs should be left off the table for BOMs anyway, as they have no place there.

I'm not saying that $399 isn't plausible for a whole 'nother set of reasons, but if you were making your estimate before based on the number of units produced before launch and/or the ephemeral R&D costs of Blu-ray not being material, you may want to reassess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt guess or vote on a pricepoint, but It's interesting hearing your thoughts on it. I'm going to bookmark this thread and hopefully I'll remember to come back to it when Sony announces their SKU and price. :)

xbdestroya said:
Rajeev for such bold accusations though as to the reasoning of the rest of the forum, your own logic is flawed. Now leaving the whole debate as to the actual price point behind us, I think you paint too broad a stroke when it comes to manufacturing expenses. Certainly a delay in the onset of manufacturing will probably benefit the initial cost to produce Sony will face, but you seem to bring economies of scale into the picture in a slightly inappropriate way. Truthfully I have to say that Sony will be producing no more or no less than they would have been producing before this: as many as they can non-stop once manufacturing begins. What does it matter if you have a production run of - say - 3 million, and you start selling those consoles after the 1 millionth one has been produced vs the 3 millionth? The advantage here is the advantage of certain technologies possibly being more mature when manufacturing begins, not any advantage of scale. Stockpiling doesn't reduce costs to manufacture, and the cost per unit is still what it is. The first units produced will be more expensive than the units produced later on; date of sale will not effect those manufacturing costs once manufacturing has begun.

Now Blu-ray. I think you're also taking this much too lightly. That $100 price difference we're throwing up has nothing to do with R&D, it has to do with higher component prices. Diodes, OPUs, etc... It's just plain more expensive to make a Blu-ray drive than another sort at this point, and R&D costs should be left off the table for BOMs anyway, as they have no place there.

I'm not saying that $399 isn't plausible for a whole 'nother set of reasons, but if you were making your estimate before based on the number of units produced before launch and/or the ephemeral R&D costs of Blu-ray not being material, you may want to reassess.

Good points there. There is a tendency to heavily subsidize hardware in order to quickly solidify a user base, as you already know. There is one benefit to stockpiling, though: intangable marketing costs fall per unit. You would be surprised how high those marketing costs actually are per unit if you saw them. If you have 1 million launch consoles and a 100 million dollar marketing campaign for you initial push...that's a 100 dollars per unit right there. If you had 3 million with the same campaign budget that's 33 dollars per console, or one third associated cost. That's a HDD included right there. They will just sell it back at cost to the users and break even on it. They will make a boatload on online distributed content with that HDD in the future. Good investment in my opinion.

What about the balancing act wrt the other manufactures of BR drives? Are they going to commit themselves to producing a player when there is a heavily subsidised one on the market? How much will they be willing to allow Sony to undersell them before they decide it's not worth it? If there is a tremendous demand for BR, how is Sony prepared to sallow the loses stemming from those who would buy a PS3 to use soley as a BR player?

nelg said:
What about the balancing act wrt the other manufactures of BR drives? Are they going to commit themselves to producing a player when there is a heavily subsidised one on the market? How much will they be willing to allow Sony to undersell them before they decide it's not worth it? If there is a tremendous demand for BR, how is Sony prepared to sallow the loses stemming from those who would buy a PS3 to use soley as a BR player?

The other BDA members are targeting a different market at launch with their standalone product. Their players will be for the enthusiasts.

Every manufacturer acknowledges that the commoditised standalone players won't be a very profitable business and have set their sights on the recorder market which offers substantially better margins.

The BDA members want PS3 to do well and drive Blu-Ray growth because in the end if things go as planned PS3 will only represent a small cross section of the entire set of revenue streams that Blu-Ray would generate.

I am going to go with a $499 price.

I think at this price (with HD), Sony will still sell out over the holidays.

When it gets to be about a month after the holidays, the inevitable game drought ensues and then the more casuals will see the $499 tag, no new games, and it could become a bit harder sell.

They HAVE to include the HD IMO.

Sony will just have to swallow some loss (rather significant me thinks).

Back