Family Guy

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
As usually I'm late to the party and over enthusiastic once I get there, me and the wife just discovered Family Guy a couple of weeks ago and so of course I grabbed 'em all and we've been working our way thru.

We're in the beginning of season 4 now, and I even understand how season 5 is really season 4 episode 11-. GREAT show, Stewie and Brian keep me in fricking stitches!

Anyone else into?

digitalwanderer said:
As usually I'm late to the party and over enthusiastic once I get there, me and the wife just discovered Family Guy a couple of weeks ago and so of course I grabbed 'em all and we've been working our way thru.

We're in the beginning of season 4 now, and I even understand how season 5 is really season 4 episode 11-. GREAT show, Stewie and Brian keep me in fricking stitches!

Anyone else into?

My wife and I have been in love with family guy for years. :)

Nite_Hawk

Addicted.

Check out the movie and American Dad too, they're just more of the same.

Been a fan for years. Got to love their comeback quote:
Peter: Everybody, I got bad news. We've been canceled.

Lois: Oh, no! Peter, how could they do that?

Peter: Well, unfortunately, Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We've just got to accept the fact that Fox has to make room for terrific shows, like "Dark Angel", "Titus", "Undeclared", "Action", "That '80s Show", "Wonder Falls", "Fastlane", "Andy Richter Controls the Universe", "Skin", "Girls Club", "Cracking Up", "The Pitts", "Firefly", "Get Real", "Freaky Links", "Wanda at Large", "Costello", "The Lone Gunmen", "A Minute with Stan Hooper", "Normal, Ohio", "Pasadena", "Harsh Realm", "Keen Eddie", "The Street", "American Embassy", "Cedric the Entertainer", "The Tick", "Louie", and "Greg the Bunny".

Lois: Is there no hope?

Peter: Well, I suppose if all those shows go down the tubes, we might have a shot.
Not their most subtle joke, but pretty much spot on.

MuFu said:
Addicted.

Check out the movie and American Dad too, they're just more of the same.
I saw the movie, after catching their recent FCC episode it was the first thing I checked out...then I got all of 'em and started watching them in order.

Zaphod-That was the opening of season 4 episode 1 and it made me spit coke all over my monitor! :LOL: Family Guy was cancelled at the end of season 3, correct?

One thing, I HATE that Stewie says "Laugh and cry!" in the opening now instead of "F-ing cry!". :(

EDITED BITS: Oh, and both my kids are home sick today with something they gave me so it's a great thing to have at least 10 more episodes of it to watch. Y'all say "American Dad" is worth checking out too? :-|

digitalwanderer said:
Y'all say "American Dad" is worth checking out too? :-|

Not quite as good IMHO but if you like FG you'll like it.

What amazes me is how many voices Seth MacFarlane does - Peter, Brian, Stewie, Quagmire, Tom Tucker and loads of extras. :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
No it hasn't Nate, I got the first season right here and it's very clealy "F-ing cry" or "Effing cry" if you prefer.

Even my wife noticed the change.

Actually one of the commentaries on the DVD says that it is laugh and cry. I think it has always been laugh and cry. I don't recall which commentary though.

digitalwanderer said:
Zaphod-That was the opening of season 4 episode 1 and it made me spit coke all over my monitor! :LOL: Family Guy was cancelled at the end of season 3, correct?
Yes. They had two half (the first and last) and one full production season that aired from 1999 to 2002.

As for subtlety: They often are. Lot's of the best jokes are offhand references that are just banter if you don't know what it is in reference to. I think i 'get' jokes on each repeat viewing that I hadn't realized was there, or thought was funny on another level.

digitalwanderer said:
No it hasn't Nate, I got the first season right here and it's very clealy "F-ing cry" or "Effing cry" if you prefer.

Even my wife noticed the change.
I think you need to download some better copies. No difference here. (R2 DVD, as well as some old DivX copies.)

Someone over at EB just told me something that freaked me a bit:

Wyodiver at Elite Bastards said:
"On the morning of September 11, 2001, Seth MacFarlane was booked on American Airlines Flight 11 to fly from Boston to Los Angeles. His travel agent, however, mix-uped the departure time and he arrived at Logan Airport a half-hour late. Flight 11 was hijacked by terrorists that morning and was crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center. "

Link:
http://www.tv.com/seth-macfarlane/person/57171/summary.html
:oops:

radeonic2 said:
I noticed a difference also.. with dvd;)
R1 or R2? There are differences between the sets and this could be one. When does this change occur? Sounds likely that they might remaster the introduction when Mila Kunis replaced Lacey Chabert (uncredited) as Meg for the second production season (after 15 episodes were produced). Episodes from the first and second production season then aired somewhat out of order as the second broadcast season.

Anyway: Always sounded like 'laugh and cry' to me and, besides, 'f-ing cry' is horribly unimaginative lyrics and doesn't fit the theme.

Zaphod said:
R1 or R2? There are differences between the sets and this could be one. When does this change occur? Sounds likely that they might remaster the introduction when Mila Kunis replaced Lacey Chabert (uncredited) as Meg for the second production season (after 15 episodes were produced). Episodes from the first and second production season then aired somewhat out of order as the second broadcast season.

Anyway: Always sounded like 'laugh and cry' to me and, besides, 'f-ing cry' is horribly unimaginative lyrics and doesn't fit the theme.
R1
I know the lyrics always have been laugh and cry but it easily can be mistaken for effing cry, hence the rerecording.

Back