F.E.A.R. 360 video

Cool, the framerate seems stable for the most part. I'm diggin the instant action mode. :D

I wonder if soft shadows are still in. I know in the PC version it was a pretty huge performance hit.

Also I wonder how they are doing AA.

I really liked FEAR on the PC. Thought it was an above average FPS. But I didn't really care for the bullet time stuff. I almost never used it unless I HAD to.

inefficient said:
I wonder if soft shadows are still in. I know in the PC version it was a pretty huge performance hit.

Also I wonder how they are doing AA.

I really liked FEAR on the PC. Thought it was an above average FPS. But I didn't really care for the bullet time stuff. I almost never used it unless I HAD to.
I don't think it had much AA. Would they turn it on if there is HDR?

Presumably, they're building upon the engine used for Condemned on the 360. Xenos supports AA & HDR. It's just a matter of developer support & performance impact. We'll probably just have to wait and see. Is there a tentative release date?

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of you haven't played this, you need to. I've had it since it came out a year ago for the PC and it's simply incredible and one of the best games I've ever played. Aside from the amazing graphics, the physics in this game were top-notch and so realistic that you could swear it was really happening. On top of all this, that little girl was pretty freaky--she kept following you everywhere through the game.

Sierra put a lot of work into this game, and it showed.

The added HDR sounds interesting since that isn't something that was on the PC version. FYI, soft-shadows weren't compatible with AA on the PC version, either. If you enabled AA it disabled the soft-shadows.

I hope they release a demo of this on Marketplace soon. I probably won't buy it since I already own it on the PC but I'm still really curious.

FYI, Sierra was the publisher. Monolith was the developer. Day 1 Studios is doing the porting to the 360.

It'd be great if the instant action had a co-op element to it.

I smell PR. I remember hearing some of the same stuff from Venom's port of Human Head's Prey. Now to their credit Condemned looked very good on the 360 and ran well, so they have a base engine to work with that already ran well.

But there is some definate PR in there like the 360 has "a lot more horsepower... [and we realised we had] some more room to work with" and when we "brought [Fear] over to the 360 we had extra room" for effects like HDR and he claims they also resed up some of the particle effects. But the big claims: "Fear altogether looks better on the 360 than PC" and "you turn all the detail sliders up for on the PC and then we added more" and that is what the 360 version is. So there is some PR here, although if Condemned is put in view I guess they could be taking all those base effects at 720p and adding HDR, but he sure adds a lot of warm fuzzies to woot up his game.

I do wonder what AA settings they will be using and likewise soft shadows. The video does show some dynamic objects casting shadows on other dynamic objects, so that is nice. On the other hand it looks like some of the wall textures were lower resolution.

The textures, at least some wall textures, looked like they had lower resolution. The footage looked smooth for the most part with a couple small hiccups, I wonder what their target framerate is.

ZiFF said:
This game is coming to PS3 also. Just not yet announced.

Source?

Alstrong said:
FYI, Sierra was the publisher. Monolith was the developer. Day 1 Studios is doing the porting to the 360.

Right. I need to start making that distinction, especially since I'm an aspiring game programmer/developer. :smile:

...you turn all the detail sliders up on the PC version of FEAR...we brought that over to the 360 and still had some more room, so we added features, like HDR.

hrm...

Yeah, Monolith has job postings for both PS3 and Xbox360. And the "sequel" won't be named F.E.A.R. per se, but it will be in the same universe. :)

Huh, I know Monolith is doing another game in the Condemned universe, but this is the first I have heard that they are taking that same aproach with Fear.

kyleb said:
Huh, I know Monolith is doing another game in the Condemned universe, but this is the first I have heard that they are taking that same aproach with Fear.

yes it was made public knowledge awhile back. They could not use the F.E.A.R name as that belongs to their publishiers now...

Hardknock said:
It's coming to 360 aswell.

Yeah? Well Wii is getting the third one!:p

Acert - I could see them upping the detail in this game while hitting a smooth framerate as farcry saw a pretty good improvement over it's pc counterpart in a fairly short timeframe. Though as you pointed out they will probably also turn down the detail on some textures to fit 360's env better.

Back