ExtremeTech - Leaked nVidia Driver Doubles 3DMark03 Score

This is actually a very well put together article from ExtremeTech.

They report their findings and did a number of things (such as the demo/rail test and tried a few D3D and OGL games)... they also didn't make any baseless or unfounded accusations, just reporting the "skinny"

I'll look forward to their revisiting the topic when they have more time to do some research. For now, it's quite a head scratcher what is afoot in these drivers, although most people have a pretty solid hypothesis at this time. :)

FUDie said:
They probably just disable the clip planes when the camera leaves the normal path.

-FUDie

Clip planes are gone from GT4, but there's still a big ass one in GT2.

Sharkfood,
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your post's over @rage3d,
some of your recent debates have plastered a smile on my face ;)
Good stuff......

DaveBaumann said:
FUDie said:
They probably just disable the clip planes when the camera leaves the normal path.

-FUDie

But Dave, you've said yourself that they didnt offer any performance gains by being there. Has your conclusion changed?

micron said:
DaveBaumann said:
FUDie said:

-FUDie

But Dave, you've said yourself that they didnt offer any performance gains by being there. Has your conclusion changed?

Maybe Dave uncovered something new.

DaveBaumann said:
FUDie said:

-FUDie

Amend that to "visible clip planes are gone from GT4" and I'll stop pestering you ;) Remember: If you can't see it, it's not cheating! (TM)

:LOL:

-FUDie

micron said:

Wait a second. If the clip planes didn't boost scores at all, then why would NVIDIA have put them in?

K.I.L.E.R said:
micron said:
DaveBaumann said:
FUDie said:

-FUDie

You should pm him K.I.L.E.R......waite a second... :D

micron said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
micron said:
DaveBaumann said:
FUDie said:

-FUDie

You should pm him K.I.L.E.R......waite a second... :D

No thanks. He's busy. :)

Dave can be scary .. I mean have you ever seen how he looks in the morning :?: Yea neither have i .... but i bet its scary .... mabye something like this :devilish: hehe . Na seriously just pm him and ask or i'm sure he will post it in this thread if he can .

jvd said:
Dave can be scary .. I mean have you ever seen how he looks in the morning :?: Yea neither have i .... but i bet its scary .... mabye something like this :devilish: hehe . Na seriously just pm him and ask or i'm sure he will post it in this thread if he can .

I'm too scared to PM him. Most likely I would just annoy him.

DaveBaumann said:
FUDie said:

-FUDie

Did you check if the improvement in FPS (GT4) was there in the "free camera mode" also ?

Futuremark dug their own grave by releasing that PR document, the benchmark is useless unless used for testing stability on Pc's. I removed it and never looked back, others should do the same.

Credability is tarnished, when the 5900 takes the top spot on the Orb, we all know how they did it and it will be a 'sour' win for Nvidia fans.
Like cheating in anything, sports, car racing...the feeling you get when winning legit is far better than a 'cheat' win.

After this fiasco, and what was uncovered in 3Dmark 2001 also (something I always knew what was going on), and the lack of backbone demonstrated by Futuremark, allowing bullying from a IHV that is not even on their Beta program was a disgrace for ALL fulltime members.

The industry is really in awfull shape since this entire FX line-up has been released, even the game developers of Stalker require 'babysitting' from Nvidia to get their game to work right.

As consumers, we can make a difference..and its starts with the $$$ in your wallet.

StealthHawk said:
Ok, why should Futuremark release a new patch just for one unofficial driver? NVIDIA already leaked 44.65 which restored their 3dmark03 scores, what's new with 44.67? I've heard some speculation that 44.67 will be the next official release, but for now it is "just another leaked driver," correct?

I quite agree that FM should only release such patches subsequent to official driver releases from nVidia. I also think any web site using "leaked" nVidia drivers not officially released by the company should be hanged by the short hairs until dead...;)

Back