Europeans: your x360 impressions so far please.

Guden Oden

Legend
I picked mine up at about 11:50, one and a half hours late because the banks screwed up a money transfer for me, and I had to spend a lot of time trying to find out what the heck happened, and then standing in line withdrawing cash from my savings account to make up for the lack on my card account.

Along with the premium version, I got an extra joypad, teh wifi adapter and, due to lack of other interesting titles, the limited collector's edition of PD0 in a black tin can. As price was the same as the standard version it was a no-brainer picking this version. Anyway, all that apparantly differs is the packaging, and a making-of disc that I haven't checked out yet. :)

After unpacking the thing - and getting annoyed at Microsoft for some shoddy packaging - I started setting up the dashboard stuff, and my live account, all of which went fairly smoothly. USB keyboards are supported for text input, but it has no clue of different national key maps, so whenever I try to type an accented character I get brackets and shit instead... Meh.

My impression of the hardware so far is a bit mixed, but overall positive. It's evident MS isn't really used to design consumer electronics. The aircraft carrier-sized harddrive thing sitting on top of the console (assuming it's vertical) for starters looks just plain bad, and on my particular unit, the standard celluloid tape that protected the sheen on the metal siding left A LOT of glue remains when pulled off that refused to be easily removed! GAAHHH. The harddrive should absolutely have been INTERNAL. No point in having it sit schlepped on top in a plasticy-looking tub that looks completely different to the rest of the console.

Second thing that makes me scratch my head is MS's decision to have the extremely thick video cable, along with optical out, rear USB port and ethernet jack to sit at the top of the unit when vertical. That's just plain incompetent design. Look at PS2 and PS3. Cable jacks located at the bottom half of the unit.

Well, at least the power cable is at the bottom... Lol... Jesus christ. One could power a city block with that thing! ;) It even locks in place with two small plastic hooks. At least it'll stay in the socket! Monster-sized power brick is cool, IMO. Literally. It gets just slightly warm for me, no sign of extreme heating. It also looks fairly unobtrusive, I have it sitting next to my x360 so I can see the neato green LED.

Component cable is mighty impressive. Very solid, but having the optical cable hanging down across the rear fan-vent along with everything else again speaks of MS's lacking experience. They made the casing concave this time so it won't look so fugly and copied sony's vertical concept, but didn't think it all through. Tsk, tsk. While I'm complaining, I might as well mention the dumb hatch on the front covering the USB ports. Point of that being...? Assume I want a wifi adapter - which occupies the rear port - and the XBL camera, that hatch's going to be permanently open and looking fugly. Not to mention all the poor bastards with wired controllers... MS should have just put the ports on the case itself and not bothered with the stupid cover thingy.

Sound level wise, the fans aren't all that LOUD really, but they have a fairly noticeable and slightly grating sound frequency which makes the sound level more intrusive than might perhaps have been the case using other fans. Not sure if it's the console itself or the PSU that is the culprit, I'll have to investigate... Soundwise as well, the DVDROM lacks a rubber seal around the tray like NEC for example equips its units with. This is fairly effective in keeping at least some noise inside the drive. And the eject button is also very stiff. Stiff to the point of making the console slide backwards when pushed if the console is horizontal I would think. Another fairly ill-thought-out design decision ergonomics-wise IMO. Not that I really plan to use it all that often, but still. Oh well, at least the chrome detailing on the premium unit looks cool! :)

Booting up the machine doesn't really take me back with graphics splendor. The X logo looks alright as it flies around a bit, I can see some color banding on the sphere up close, probably 16-bit buffer rounding errors. He he. Just kidding.

CD player and the Jeff Minter-designed VLM thingy is alright. Nothing spectacular, I really expected more I must say, AVS on good ol' Winamp can do so much more by a competent preset designer. Of course this thing runs monster fast in comparison and at monster rez (720P at the moment). AVS chugs badly at high rez as experienced AVS afficionados know only too well, but sometimes there is curious slowdown anyway in the VLM despite all the processing horsepower in the 360.

Geometry Wars is crazy. I just had to buy some stupid MS points and purchase this game... Actually, Geometry Wars is NUTS. Extremely impressive, and if just a small example of what we can expect from xenon/xenos particle power, then we can expect great things indeed! There's stuff flying around ALL OVER the screen!

Actually, GW is the only actual game I've played so far on my 360. :oops: I did scope out that racing game whatsitscalled, PGR something, at an EB Games store and it didn't impress me much. They do some kind of motion blur thing on the edges of the screen, but framerate looks a bit shite, particulary on reflections on the cars, and there's pretty bad texture aliasing in the game as well in a few cases (barriers on the sides of the london city level), and slightly less obvious aliasing on the shadows over the road surface. Clumsy. Rushed title. I won't buy.

Oh! And the controller is also really heavy! Man, I thought some of you said it was lighter than the S-controller. What's that one made of then, tungsten compared to the 360's lead? Heh! Now I'm gonna play some more GW, and then load up PD0 and check that out. I'll post again if my console overheats and crashes!

:LOL: haha thanks for the impresisons.

PD0 did not impress me, but CoD2 did :oops:
GW is crazy good...

XBL Arcade could be a real treat while waiting for 2nd gen games.

Oh and the HDD was kept external to be a giant removable memory card with all of your Live settings and downloads/demos to be transferable to a buddy's machine.

Also they plan to sell harddirves wiht a larger size.

Did you check out the demos? Madden, need for speed, kameo, and nba live are available for download through xbox live.

and yeah geometry wars is crazy,

The tape on the HDD was stupid, I still have glue on mine. How you can say it looks bad is beyond me though, it looks tight, nice crome finish around the edges that matches the chrome DVD tray, as well as a nice chrome "HDD" emblem on the very top, extremely slick IMO.

Oh, and people who say the 360 controllers with batteires are lighter than the XBOX controllers are smoking something, I've held both and with batteries the 360 controller is noticeably heavier. WIth that said it feels great, and the S-controller now feels a little flimsy or cheap in comparison.

Hi, has the 360 launched in europe aswell? yesterday I went to Badajoz (spain) and visited all their major stores and didn't saw anything indicating a 360 launch, publicity or something like that. was it only launched in some countries?

edit - I'm sorry, I realized I just start talking about something different than what the thread starter wanted, probably best to ignore my question

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up mine this morning, but had to go to work right after that, but I had little time to mess around with it and I LIKE IT!. The new menu interface is slick and easy to use and it seems to work. I picked up PDZ, Kameo, CoD2, King Kong and Condemned, and Play and charge kit. PDZ was hard to find, I went through four stores before I found it!. Well nuff said, let's play.

First thing i have to say is that the system is very loud for a console.
On dashoard and dvd playback is very quite but as soon as you start a game fans start spinning fast.

Beside that i am very pleased, everything is beatiful.

Just one rant : where the hell are the VGA cables ? :(
Almost none at all here in Italy. Can't use my 37' LCD (1366x768) because it has only vga and dvi, no component :( .

Dave Baumann said:
Need a better TV... :(
You're broke too, heh?

My problem is that I can buy a 70/80 cm HDTV Ready TV... But if I do I won't be able to pick up a X360 (Or any other games for my actual systems...).
That's a huge" problem" for me now. the worst was that I was supposed to get the X360 for free, but there was a screw up and now I have to shell out for it. :cry:

I'll probably end up playing it on a 852 X 480 screen for quite a few months...

Dave Baumann said:
Need a better TV... :(

Same , i'm stuck playing 480 i as the colorsteam inputs (480p on toshiba) are missing the metal shields and its all coming up green :(

Lucky me i can buy one next year , hopefully with a price drop. Get a nice 27-32inch lcd 720p tv for like 800 or under

Excuse me while I go fucking shoot myself. What a nightmare! Even smelly, bucktoothed British bastards have an Xbox 360 and I don't!!!!

Just kidding...you Brits aren't bastards. ;)

Got mine today, together with a 2nd controller, 2 battery packs and cable, the VGA adapter and 3 games (Kameo, PD0, PGR3). Earlier this week, I had already bought Ninja Gaiden Black, Jade Empire and DoA3 for backward compatibility.

Since I don't have an HDTV yet, I decided to plug it into the second VGA socket of my 22" monitor. I've a pretty large computing desk, so room is not an issue, even for the monster brick. Air flow is pretty good around the desk.

The system impressed me a lot, as long as I was able to play, that is. To make a long story short, my unit freezes when playing some games for too long (in the case of PD0, too long is around 10 minutes). Heat must be the culprit, because if I get a crash and restart playing just after (even another game), another crash is bound to occur soon.

I called MS support, they were pretty nice but their technical people were a bit overloaded today, so they will call me back tomorrow to diagnose my problem and organize an exchange for my unit.

I'm not mad at MS, that's what you get for buying at launch day I suppose. I will become mad if they customer support is not responsive and helpful, though. Anyway, I can play PGR3 and Kameo for decent periods of time so there is still some fun to be had. Strangely enough, BC-games make the system crash pretty quick as well.

I really love the integration of Live in all games, the dashboard, the micropayments and XBL Arcade (Geometry Wars is a killer app, screw PGR3 :) ) and most of all the controller. It even beats the GC controller for me (perhaps a little bit too heavy with the battery pack, but not really a problem).

Little problem, I saw some advice on the Internet (eh) and formatted my hard drive (someone claimed his freezing problems in PD0 were caused by the HD and a format cleared his problems). I lost Hexic, which there is no way to redownload. And there is no install CD. Clearly an oversight from MS on this one.

So right now, I'm a bit disappointed that I got a flaky system (eh), stade 2 (anger) will come if my unit is not repaired/exchanged quickly by MS.

I don't have a 360 on pre-order and am in no rush to buy one -- maybe in a few months when the price/stock has stabilised and more games are available.

I haven't been keeping up with specific games and features development either, unless there is crossover with related PC titles, such as Quake 4 and COD2. Saying that though, I popped into Cardiff on Thursday for some shopping and noticed quite a few Xbox360 demo stations in various stores (Game, Virgin and Dixons), although I had first seen one of these stations in a game store in my local town last week. I had the opportunity to try out the system in a few stores and was rather impressed.

I liked the software interface and gui, very clean and intuitive and found the controller well constructed. I was only able to play the COD2 and Kameo demos briefly. COD2 gameplay seemed very smooth and while initially playing an fps with a gamepad felt foreign, after a few minutes with the demo I found myself slowly adjusting and could imagine the experience improving with more practice, although I couldn't see it approaching the freeform effectiveness of a keyboard/mouse combo on the pc. Visually, the demo was very impressive and engrossing, especially on the high-def LCD. Although I didn't stop to look too closely, I would say that the demo was using at least 2xAA @ 720p.

Kameo was also visually appealing with its interesting, yet somewhat oddball gameplay. I saw some noticeable aliasing in certain cutscenes, but it appeared less prevalent during gameplay, which was as colourful as it was varied during the 10 minutes or so that I played. Overall, the visual leap over existing systems was quite apparent in many instances -- I found myself stopping just to look at the lovely parallax mapping! :D

Impressed with mine so far. I picked it up at around 2:30 this afternoon.
Been playing COD2 mostly, and a little PGR3. The bundle I got came with Condemned, which I haven't played yet, but I hear it's quite good.

Hardware wise, I'm quite impressed over all, though I also have most of the glue left on the hard disk after removing the protective tape :devilish:

It looks damn good on my 45" DLP screen at 720p. Good thing too, cos xbox360 is the main reason I bought the tv a few months ago. The purchase paid off ;)

Really want to get hold of Kameo now (all my local stores were sold out), which seems to be the best looking game of all the launch titles imho.

scooby_dooby said:
How you can say it looks bad is beyond me though, it looks tight, nice crome finish around the edges that matches the chrome DVD tray, as well as a nice chrome "HDD" emblem on the very top, extremely slick IMO.
It's because you're american; you americans have a bizarre taste for everything tacky. Just look at all the fake wood panelling that appears on your cars, TVs, etc. ;) Same as sticking a big chunk of silver-sprayed plastic and chrome metal on an otherwise white console. Tacky as fuck. You don't see Apple doing the cheap-looking silver spray and chrome metal stuff now do you? :)

I've held both and with batteries the 360 controller is noticeably heavier.
Even without the batteries, 360 controller is noticeably heavier than PS2 dualshock 2. And that's even including some of its cord because I didn't chop that off when I did my informal comparison. :)

WIth that said it feels great
Yeah, it's very comfy in the hands. Only niggle is the four little rubber knoblets (nipples?)on the edge of the sticks, those are kind of starting to chafe after a bit of gameplay, and they don't serve any useful purpose anyway, other than looks perhaps. They should have been axed IMO, or at least reduced significantly in size.

It's because you're american; you americans have a bizarre taste for everything tacky. Just look at all the fake wood panelling that appears on your cars, TVs, etc. ;) Same as sticking a big chunk of silver-sprayed plastic and chrome metal on an otherwise white console. Tacky as fuck. You don't see Apple doing the cheap-looking silver spray and chrome metal stuff now do you? :smile:

I like the crome on the white , it looks good . ALot better than that grating on the ps2 or that huge green ass circle on the xbox .

Guden Oden said:
It gets just slightly warm for me, no sign of extreme heating.

And that is before powering it on?! :oops:

So I was guessing you didnt actually try any real games when you said that and I guess you confirmed it later on.

Anyway, good for you, now for my question, was a VGA-connector included? (for regular monitors)

And one more, dont you think MS payed of some expert at CE to help them with the design and packaging? Anyway, they should next time ;)

dubyateeeff said:
So I was guessing you didnt actually try any real games when you said that and I guess you confirmed it later on.
Dunno what you mean by "real" games. I've only played GW so far (and quite a lot of it), but that one is pretty intense compared to most anything else out there. (*Edit: on other hardware platforms, I mean.) It doesn't heat up much at all. Only spot that gets a bit warm is right towards the end with the green LED.

was a VGA-connector included?
Nope. On the other hand, you get three power cords. One round with 2 prongs and ground contact surfaces on the sides for most Euro countries, one with three rectangular prongs for the UK and one flat one with three thin round prongs, dunno which country uses that kind of setup.

And one more, dont you think MS payed of some expert at CE to help them with the design and packaging?
I've no idea what experts they paid - if any. But having as many as three cables hanging down across the hot air exhaust from the height of 2+ decimeters is not only unsightly, it's obstructing the cooling flow as well. Not by much perhaps, but still worse than no cables at all.

picked up 3 premiums today this morning, one is already sold on ebay (to UK :p )
and second is also listed now

you cant find any xbox360 left in stores here in belgium. all litle stock (90%) went to preorders. the rest was sold in minutes.
Good luck for me they launched on friday,when most people go to work or are at school.i had 1 preorder ,and the 2 others i picked up at Carrefour, went at 9amsharp inside and crossed (so to speak) to the games division in the store

just connected my own xbox, downloading kameo now( takes a lonnggg time :( )
impressions later :)

Back