Europeans: your x360 impressions so far please.

Oh, my... I just checked the prices for some of the peripherals... 1000kr for a harddrive attachment, I couldnt believe my eyes! (www.siba.se), I still cant! 1000kr is the price difference between a Core and Premium. So now I am left wondering, what the advantages of a harddrive will be for games (not live! demo stuff etc)

Oh and last time I checked there wasnt any xbox2 kiosk anywhere. Hopefully the situation has changed now, I wanna take a look atleast!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a demo kiosk at the EB Games store on the lower level of Femmanhuset. And MS has set rediculous prices for all 360 peripherals, SKR700 for the wifi adapter, OMGWTF. SKR300 for a 64MB flash memcard, and so on.

And SKR649 per friggin game! Jesus wept...

At least Geometry Wars was really really really cheap in comparison (roughly SKR55 I think). ;)

Guden Oden said:
There is a demo kiosk at the EB Games store on the lower level of Femmanhuset. And MS has set rediculous prices for all 360 peripherals, SKR700 for the wifi adapter, OMGWTF. SKR300 for a 64MB flash memcard, and so on.

At least Geometry Wars was really really really cheap in comparison (roughly SKR55 I think). ;)
The WiFi adapter is really solid though, and worth the money. I was having all sorts of trouble with my connection, bit the bullet and paid out the money for the adapter. It's worked flawless since then. It may be a bit more than your typical A+G USB adapter, but the premium is worth it at least.

.Sis

i actually like the look of my 360.....

it's certainly the best looking console yet imo (mind you, that's not a particularly competative field), or at least it is when it's standing up.

controller is awesome too... loving the wireless! and the on/off via the controller is just too cool for school.

i'm happy with it, for sure.... now i just need to get my hands on a damn vga adaptor! oh, and kameo demo i downloaded from live really suprised me - i'm actually tempted to buy it when before i had absolutely no intention to, so i recommend the download.

Guden Oden said:

649kr? Dang!

Well that means Ill have to go to EB Games tomorrow :) um, today.

300kr for 64mb is a lot, except, ps2s memcards go for 350kr officially and that is only for 8mb. (And Nintendo does the same AFAIK) I dont like it, but I understand that MS wants to make money and not compete with Sony on all accounts.

dubyateeeff said:
300kr for 64mb is a lot, except, ps2s memcards go for 350kr officially and that is only for 8mb. (And Nintendo does the same AFAIK) I dont like it, but I understand that MS wants to make money and not compete with Sony on all accounts.
PS2 card prices haven't dropped since launch I think, when flash mem was still quite expensive, and are annoyingly overpriced. But 64MB for £18 is still a rip-off these days (250 KR from Play with £5 off RRP) considering I just spent £18 to get a 512MB SD card from Play. Support for standard flash-storage mediums means lots of existing cards too small for photography are still useful. I'm very glad (and shocked!) PS3 is going that way, and hopefully Revolution will too, with at least SD and CF support, though with such a small case fitting on lots of connectors will prove tough.

No good launch game.
Console having problems, friend's one is damaging the DVDs...

My conclusion is that X360 is a wait console, until Revolution & PS3 are released, and you don't even want one if you already have a good PC.

And I was excited about it before the launch... pretty sad.

I will, of course, reconsider it a year after launch, that's the minimal amount of time that must have gone before I buy any given console.

Learn French with Sony: Carte Mémoire is the french word for rip-off

Shifty Geezer said:
PS2 card prices haven't dropped since launch I think, when flash mem was still quite expensive, and are annoyingly overpriced.

49.90 friggin Euros... That's like 1 Million dollars or something with the actual change.

Note that you can find cheaper ones at Carrefour, for instance.
But still, the MSRP is still crazily overpriced.

I still don't believe that the PS3 could use any solid state memory (MMC, MS, SD, CF, USB keys, HDD) for game saving. It's way too suspicious.

Vysez said:

49.90 friggin Euros... That's like 1 Million dollars or something with the actual change.

Note that you can find cheaper ones at Carrefour, for instance.
But still, the MSRP is still crazily overpriced.

I still don't believe that the PS3 could use any solid state memory (MMC, MS, SD, CF, USB keys, HDD) for game saving. It's way too suspicious.

I'm not quite sure of the exact prices, but you can get the cheaper Sony memorycard pack that includes two colourful memorycards. It's a bit more expensive than the single one, but not double the price. They are ridiculously overpriced though.

in what country do you live in??
memorycards dropped a lot since ps2 launch. they cost now 24.99euro officially.
many shops selling them at 20-21euro

It's a french ad, but it must be old cause the local video shop sells them for 35€. (Official SONY 8MB memory cards)

Anyway you're going OFF-TOPIC.

Any EUROPEAN people had problems with their console hanging/crashing/rendering corrupted gfx? Any scratched discs? And no north american or anecdotal "my cousin's girlfriend's mother's haidresser's..." stories or fanperson gibberings here please. Personal experiences ONLY thank you. Keep it civil.

I've had my box freeze once on me whilst sitting in the dashboard and no game running. Screen turned black and it wouldn't respond to any button presses on the controller so I cycled the power switch and that 'fixed' it. I chalk that one up to microsoft bugs, not a hardware issue. The box has been running pretty much all weekend (most of the time playing GW, heh), no issues for me.

Oh, and my PD0 play disc was scratched, but those scratches were straight lines, not circular, so I truly doubt it was the result of the console. Must have been there when I bought the game.

It is a little worrysome (and badly designed) though that the disc touches the console's plastic frame around the tray opening when the tray open and closes if the thing is standing vertically. Like I said, shows MS lacks experience designing consumer electronics.

48 hours testing, no major problem detected. only a small problem

i couldnt get my controller to work! i took out the batteries and reinserted them and after that it lit up again in the X cirkel.. maybe bad seated batery i dont know but it worked fine before.

Would it also be owrth mentioning people's experiences with other consoles too? I've known PS2s crash a couple of times with freezes, but that's on particular games. Are some of the problems with XB360 software and not hardware? How could we tell?

Guden Oden said:
Any EUROPEAN people had problems with their console hanging/crashing/rendering corrupted gfx? Any scratched discs? And no north american or anecdotal "my cousin's girlfriend's mother's haidresser's..." stories or fanperson gibberings here please. Personal experiences ONLY thank you. Keep it civil.

I was playing with a friend who bought it the evening of the launch day (core) along with memory card and PD0.
Played a couple of hours that day, then the following morning around 3 hours, the game began to behave weird, complaining about the disk, we got it out, it was VERY hot, and had perfectly nice concentric scratchs on 12cm and 8cm (wich are two size of CDs), to me it's clear that the console did it, there's no way any human could do such a perfectly circular scratch.
The console was vertical during play and never moved...

Ty said:
Who needs a roof to keep you warm when you can bask in the beautiful warmth of a new plasma!

You mean... Who needs a roof to keep you warm when you can bask in the beautiful warmth of your new X360 advanced heating system? ;)

Guden Oden said:

Yep, my box crashes pretty quickly when playing PD0, Ninja Gaiden Black (BC) or DoA3 (BC). I can play PGR3, Kameo and Jade Empire (BC) for a longer time (although it will still crash after a while). I can play Geometry Wars or use the dashboard (music, pictures...) pretty much all day long. Probably an overheating issue, MS is exchanging my console.

london-boy said:
You mean... Who needs a roof to keep you warm when you can bask in the beautiful warmth of your new X360 advanced heating system? ;)

There's a joystiq article in which they estimate the X360 consumes more power than anything in your home except a large-screen HDTV.

They believe operating an X360 will result in $10-35 more per year in electrical bills.

That's not too bad but I don't know if they're talking about turning it on only when you play games or always having it on like MS suggests so you can watch streamed media on it or just have it available for your XBL friends to see you.

wco81 said:
There's a joystiq article in which they estimate the X360 consumes more power than anything in your home except a large-screen HDTV.

They believe operating an X360 will result in $10-35 more per year in electrical bills.

That's not too bad but I don't know if they're talking about turning it on only when you play games or always having it on like MS suggests so you can watch streamed media on it or just have it available for your XBL friends to see you.

No, it's about the power consumption in stand-by mode. Having it always on would consume much more than $35 over the whole year.

Back