Europeans: your x360 impressions so far please.

Guden Oden said:
It's because you're american; you americans have a bizarre taste for everything tacky. Just look at all the fake wood panelling that appears on your cars, TVs, etc. ;) Same as sticking a big chunk of silver-sprayed plastic and chrome metal on an otherwise white console. Tacky as fuck. You don't see Apple doing the cheap-looking silver spray and chrome metal stuff now do you? :)

I'm canadian though.....:p

Guden Oden said:
It's because you're american; you americans have a bizarre taste for everything tacky. ...snip
Pretty sure Scooby is Canadian. :D

edit: Scooby beat me to it :)

but yes we Yanks have bad taste. :devilish:;)

Like I'm supposed to know a canadian by smell or something? ;) He doesn't state his heritage in his profile so how could I know, heh.

Anyway, PD0 seems to be QUITE the proverbial overcooked ham. Or perhaps equally proverbial turkey.

And either my DVDROM is faulty (yayyyyy!) or the disc has errors, because there's first a pause, and then stuttering both in the intro movie and the ingame music. The disc spins down, and I hear the lens rapidly banging against the hardstops as it attempts to refocus. Can't be good for my drive I think.

The machine is a NOISY mofo by the way! DVDROM isn't quiet at all. :( With music, it's bearable, but with all sound muted one really hears how damn much noise this thing makes. Nintendo, PLEEEEASE RESCUE US! :D A few minor changes would really have made a big difference with noise on the 360, including some absorbing mats inside the console and a flap with rubber seals covering the DVDROM tray when closed.

As for PD0... Damn, this game is a HORRIBLE showcase for anything 360-involved. It's so incompetently designed and executed I can't but help shuddering. Framerate is CRAP, it's not V-synched - tons of tearing all over the place - and graphics aren't particulary complicated either. Terrible coding!

Amusingly enough, I have a shadow, but no body! Well, except for the gun hand(s). When walking so that my shadow is cast on a wall in front of me, I can clearly see my character's hand waving the gun about, yet on the screen the hand (and the gun) remains perfectly still the whole time. Apparantly me and my ghost image aren't fully synchronized! :LOL: Rare is as incompetent as I remember them...

What a waste of money. Blah! Better go back to geometry wars methinks, because I reeeeally don't want to start believing there's some kind of a pattern developing here between PGR's bad framerate and PD0's also bad framerate. That'd suck. I suppose I have to chalk this up to yet another badly managed project (can't call it RUSHED when it's been under development for five friggin years give or take)...

Positive thing to keep in mind tho is that the PSU isn't heating up even during real gameplay conditions, nor does the DVD get particulary hot either after getting ejected. Speaking of DVD, I just noticed four rather strongly visible and very straight scratches across the disc surface. As I never bothered to check if the disc was scratched before I inserted it I can't be sure it wasn't caused by the 360, but I doubt it. It doesn't look like the kind of scratch caused by the tray opening/closing, but rather the disc being rubbed under force against some kind of surface or such.

Oh well, at least I can scratch (no pun intended!) the theory my box might be faulty then! And it did manage to read music CDs flawlessly earlier today.

Back to the store with the game tomorrow. Wonder if they'll let me trade it back in considering it's rather crap? *Makes mental note: never buy another rare game ever. Rare SUCKS.

Umm, you will be missing an excellent game if you don't check out Kameo.

By far the best game at launch IMO, has occupied probably 95% of my playtime.

My buddy just bought PD0 and says it sucks ass as well, I'm not gonna buy it, I'll just borrow his when he's done. BUt ya, check out Kameo man, it's excellent.

Grabbing the demo off of Live now. Taking for-fricken-EVER to download tho... And the bloody thing can't multitask either. Three cores and I can't feckin play some Geometry Wars or even watch a DVD while the game ever so slowly trickles in. I really thought the 360 would support this. Dang it, I can't even access the config menus if a game is running, and that is very weird IMO.

And I just noticed the game is completely unloaded from memory without asking the player if the game DVD is ejected while running. So if you wanna fuck with your brother or somesuch, just pop out the disc after he finally beat that annoyingly hard boss, but before he's had a chance to save. :rolleyes: Idiocy! GC properly asks the player to close the lid again. Some PS2 games do that too. Others just hang when they try to access the optical drive. :LOL: I'd expected progress to have taken us a little further than that tho with the 360. It really should show a "put the game back in!" notice, and if the player declines THEN unload game and exit to the menus...

Vysez said:
You're broke too, heh?
Well, you see, I keep tyring to persuade the wife that a nice 37"-42" HDTV Plasma would be a good, sensible, purchase (even actually reclaiming some living room space in relation to the old 32" Widescreen CRT) but she seems to think there are far greater priorities such as a new garage roof and some such. I shall keep trying but she does appear to be digging her heals in a little over this one. <sigh>

Seriously, is there anything more you want to complain about Guden? LOL! I haven't seen this much complaining in ages. Just take the thing back already and spare us your tirade.

I've dropped by the local walmart yesterday's afternoon. No kiosks ... they still had 3 'tard packs, the premium boxes were gone. When I picked up the box of one core system I underestimated the weight of it and ripped the plastic handle loose. They had no peripherals at all, no vga cables, no component cables. Haha, so no impressions from me ;)

Dave Baumann said:
Well, you see, I keep tyring to persuade the wife that a nice 37"-42" HDTV Plasma would be a good, sensible, purchase (even actually reclaiming some living room space in relation to the old 32" Widescreen CRT) but she seems to think there are far greater priorities such as a new garage roof and some such. I shall keep trying but she does appear to be digging her heals in a little over this one. <sigh>

Who needs a roof to keep you warm when you can bask in the beautiful warmth of a new plasma!

DeathKnight said:
Seriously, is there anything more you want to complain about Guden?
Oh come on, lemme have my fun will ya! You expected me to write only the GOOD stuff I experienced or what? This is a serious endeavour, consoles are life and death you know! :D (And Kameo had downloaded overnight, I'm gonna test it later today.)

I'm currently checking out the DVD playback ability, and the console does in fact noticeably quiet down in DVD mode. One of the fans seem to be turned off (the top one, in vertical position).

Some people have reported lacking video quality and such with grainyness in dark regions etc, but I've no complaints so far, only having watched about 20 mins of War of the Worlds on it. I'll have to see how it handles Sin City, if there's no immediately noticeable issues with that movie I think I'll be satisfied with retiring the PS2 as my primary DVD player...

Oh one thing. The mini-remote that comes with the console works fine, but it requires rather precise aim when using it. My Sony remotes are strong enough so I can even aim at the opposite wall of my PS2 and for example pause/unpause the disc, if I have to go wash out my teacup or something and don't want to miss any dialogue due to the running water. :)

The Console

Heavy bugger. Size is pretty much the same as the old Xbox (except that that had the power supply internally) but the pretty newfangled design makes it look much smaller. Power brick is big, but not huge (slightly bigger than my Mac Mini power brick).
Noise is the same as my old 1.4 Xbox until you insert a game disc. Then it goes a bit mental. You don't really notice when playing games, but when the music is off during the loading screen, it's making a fair bit of ruckus.

Project Gotham 3

Good soundtrack (like a configurable car CD changer with different music styles to choose from). And it looks really nice in motion (the motion blur makes it feel really smooth) and the HDR / exposure is really great. No AA I could discern, and I looked pretty closely. Single player is standard PGR2 with a few new variations (time vs. kudos), which serves me well.
Online is a blast (thanks chaps!), but what really impressed me is that all of the tracks we were driving felt great, in contrast to PGR2 there seems to plenty of jumps / elevation changes (special mention to the parking garage in Tokyo and the ramp before the sharp right corner in London).
On the handling, it feels very similar to PGR2 to me. I think there's a bit more sideways action going on, but overall rather similar. That said, I sold PGR2 together with my Xbox about 3 months ago, so I cannot really go and check.

Kameo

Best looking launch game from the 3 I've got. The first level and the overall attention to detail (character design animation) is very nice. Yes, you can see they tried to make it colourful. Yes, they tried to cram every effect known to mankind in there (imagine the ICO shadows looking like the Shadow Trolls... o_O). Yes, the variation of some of the "puzzles" isn't too great, i.e. instead of puzzles there is something which would be parts of the solution of a bigger puzzle (for example in Zelda).
But still, I think it's a good game (so far — having finished the Tree Monster) and some of the vistas presented during gameplay are most impressive.
And it's not too easy (have the hints turned off).

Perfect Dark Zero
Only played the tutorial level. Controls feel good, level looked very Halo-ish (i.e. specular lighting, metallic surfaces) but it feels very different. What I really like is the feeling of presence of your character (your shadow, or simply the smoothness of animation when going from 1st to 3rd person). Graphics are good, but not as effects-in-your-face as the beginning of Kameo. Then you get from small tunnels and confined rooms, to a huge detailed hangar with 20-30 enemies, some allies, and a lot of spider bots attacking you, and you realize there's a lot of power under the hood.
I can't really say much about the gameplay, other than it feels good (buf in spite of looks), different from Halo. I don't have a clue how to use the security hacking device where you have to push a button at the right time with rotating circle segments...

XBOX Live

Ace. Check in-game, what message you got. Ask Mapster with a voice message to re-invite you. BTW: In PGR3, when you know some of your friends are playing online, can you directly join their game somehow? I haven't managed.
I still haven't been able to download trailers / demos (but then my region is set to Germany, not United Kingdom — maybe there are different servers?). The interface is well done, but a bit jarring at times: One of the metallic overlay blades pops in left, you make a selection and the the blade pops in right. Setting up the console felt like watching a tennis match!
Similarly, when the game is calling console internal Live functionality (like "View gamercard" for example), the look changes from whatever the game looks like to the metal blade overlay.
Overall, a big (!) step forward for Live.

Wireless controller (+ slightly wired Headset) for the w1in!!!!!!

Now for the bad.....
No Play & Charge cables available in Germany. DVD-Rom noise.

Playing w/ VGA cables on Dell 20" Widescreen display + 5.1 Dolby Digital (el cheapo Creative amplifier and decoder).

Guden Oden said:
I just noticed the game is completely unloaded from memory without asking the player if the game DVD is ejected while running. So if you wanna fuck with your brother or somesuch, just pop out the disc after he finally beat that annoyingly hard boss, but before he's had a chance to save.

I know what you mean...

But I think they did it that way so "potential hacking" via a disc swap would be discouraged...

:)

Is it me or has the launch been very unrepresented in the gmaing press? eg. Eurogamer on the 1st December said 'check bakc for blow-by-blow launch accounting' yet there is none. I'm sure DS and PSP got more coverage. Considering this the beginning of the next generation of gaming, the launch in the EU seems to have failed to stir up the interest I though it'd get. I'm I just missing something or is the coverage less than usual? What about different EU national coverage? Are other countries making a bit more noise about XB360, or has it been presented with little more attention than a popular game franchise?

Dave Baumann said:

Heh, the domestication of Technus Geekus continues. :LOL: If it weren't for women we'd all be sitting in a hovel in our underwear surrounded by empty cheetos bags and $20k of electronics under an inch of dust.

Guden Oden said:
And the bloody thing can't multitask either. Three cores and I can't feckin play some Geometry Wars or even watch a DVD while the game ever so slowly trickles in. I really thought the 360 would support this.
A recent interview with the developer for GW says that he's using all three cores.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/page.php?p=cakeyinterview&f=gwre

As the grid system is rather expensive to calculate, it actually runs on the second core along with the audio system, (the first core being dedicated to gameplay and particles, the third is used to render the audio).
.Sis

first of all: i would like to thank the 2 buyers from uk . so have my xbox360 premium for free :p

anyway, the BOX is freakin heavy! heavy duty powerbrick and cable .
I was concerned when i opened up my box that I would experience problems. i heard a LOT of problems here in belgium who have problems. scratching discs, crashing boxes ... skipping videoplayback etc...
anyway
I configured my live acount, never used live before on xbox1 .
interface and all is very nice. Didnt play online yet . cause i dont have games for the moment.
wow cool! FREE downloads :) .
downloaded KAmeo , Need for speed unwanted and Geometry Wars .
I have a 100hz 32inch widescreen philips TV. KAmeo looks really nice on it! who needs HD ? :)

kameo is really nice! Every special effect under the sun is used . looks and plays very polished!
NEed for speed... : is this burnout or what?? meh ..

my kid is sick so i didnt had a lot of time with the box .. but looking forward for more :) yummie.

i need a game recomandation! any thoughts?

Back