Eurogamer: An insider confirms the existence of Xbox Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a troll... ;)
Well I would be surprised if somebody was to choose a piece of equipment based on such a criteria, now nothing exits in a vacuum if a competing product exists offering the same functionality and overall performance for the same price I would also be surprised if someone does not choose the later system.
Choosing between the 360 and the PS3 was not about a power brick, the PS3 for a good while was more expensive, games were not running as well, etc.
The 360 power brick is a pain in the ass if you ask me, so is the one for my Alienware (way tinier though), I hate them but I've to deal with them.

If an angel came down from hell and wanted to be my sexy wife, I'd be prepared to let it go if she like Nu-Trek more than Star Trek.

But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be better is she didn't have a power brick attached.

You mean you didn't read that article on the internet that must be true that said the number 1 reason for people choosing the PS4 was because it didn't have the brick?

But what i0f it's bigger than a shoebox?

Depends on who's shoes.

Myself, I'd be fine with an external brick the size of the current Xbox Oneor even a 1900 Watt UPS tower.

Sounds like nonsense (at least the 10TF part) but if they are really going to put out 10 TF, PS4K is done for. Power wins in the core.

But yeah, sounds pretty iffy.

I think MS has come to realization that customers don't mind having an external brick.
I guess the reason MS or Nintendo like an external PS is that it simplifies multiple countries electrical certifications when launching a worldwide product, but it's definitely more expensive to use an external power supply at very high power levels.

And this one would be a LOT of wattage. The standard design from china and taiwan power supply manufacturers tends to max out at 220W for external ones (so at most 150W console with efficiency margins). Above that it's really custom and could get expensive.

The higher the power, the more expensive an external PS will be compared to an equivalent internal PS. All sort of difficulties happen with very high currents combined with a long cable and connector. They could move to a 24v design to solve this, but then it's the motherboard that gets the doubled current in the mosfets and caps, and EMI issues, etc...

Sounds like nonsense (at least the 10TF part) but if they are really going to put out 10 TF, PS4K is done for. Power wins in the core.

But yeah, sounds pretty iffy.
Sony would just drop the price, which they will have plenty of room to do in a console with half the transistor budget (than a 10TF Xbox). AMD intends to stick to 14nm at-least through 2018 according to their roadmap. Does Microsoft value the console market enough that they would be willing to sink billions in a price war?

Myself, I'd be fine with an external brick the size of the current Xbox Oneor even a 1900 Watt UPS tower.
Well, your UPS tower better not have ~40kgs of lead-acid batteries stuffed inside of it, because nobody would be able to carry a console like that home. ;)

External bricks really are a pain in the ass. I hate them with a vengeance. A big reason my wuu sees as little action as it does is because it has not just one brick, but TWO. Unbelievable. If all other factors stay the same except xbone was the power and performance of PS4, I would still buy PS4 because of the way slimmer casing and internal power supply.

Some people appreciate well designed hardware, as opposed to some bullshit cobbled together and slapped into a huge-ass ugly plastic box with vent slats spread out all over it.

PS4K has more to fear from a monster under its bed.

Really? Are you speaking specifically of the United States or generalizing about the world market? If MS can come up with a US-centric business model then perhaps but otherwise I don't see it.

Maybe it's a pure network streaming console and it's 10TF of Cloud Graphics Computing power?

The DF Xbox architects article will make for an interesting re-read once we know where the new machines are going hardware wise.

Does Microsoft value the console market enough that they would be willing to sink billions in a price war?

I hear what you're saying but if you're Microsoft you can't go small anymore. You're existing platform is languishing in both sales and performance. PR wise the Xbox brand teeters on the edge of irrelevance for the rest of this generation, with no possible chance of catching up with the market leader. Now just ask yourself, If you're MS, do you release a marginally improved console that will generate NO buzz within the industry or any enthusiasm with gamers who are still treating your console brand with caution?

Now these rumored specs do sound crazy. But that's just it, Microsoft NEEDS to do something crazy. 5x-6x NEO crazy? Not going to happen. But they're probably not going to play it safe either. They can't afford to be concerned with console parity anymore. That thinking was at the root of all their engineering choices with the X1. They were more concerned with what Sony was going to do than what THEY should have been doing. Expecting and counting on your competitor to do the same or less than you is not a strategy. Not being able to properly verbalize your own policies and hoping everyone will just understand didn't work either. Placing a rather advanced motion sensor in your retail box and then providing absolutely no support it for was one thing. But making that device the reason your platform is $100 more than your competitor and not providing any gamer incentive for it is broken strategy. Sony was ready for them, they were caught flat-footed. Gamers saw through the smoke screen, the rest is history.

They won't repeat the same mistakes. The next Xbox will probably be more hardcore than anything Sony or Nintendo are planning if Microsoft is as desperate to change the narrative as most think they are.

I don't know what's coming but I guess it's in Panos Panay we trust. I'm not saying the man is a wizard, but he did a damn fine job engineering the Surface. I'm sure whatever he and his team is cooking up will be substantial.

I hear what you're saying but if you're Microsoft you can't go small anymore. You're existing platform is languishing in both sales and performance. PR wise the Xbox brand teeters on the edge of irrelevance for the rest of this generation, with no possible chance of catching up with the market leader.
MS let Windows Phones die recently. 73% sales decline if I remember correctly. And WP is much more important market.

Really? Are you speaking specifically of the United States or generalizing about the world market? If MS can come up with a US-centric business model then perhaps but otherwise I don't see it.

I think you may have misread my post. I was joking that the PS4K has nothing to fear from a phantom competitor that will never exist in the form being described by this rumor.

MS let Windows Phones die recently. 73% sales decline if I remember correctly. And WP is much more important market.

So is that your way of saying Microsoft shouldn't even try to change the narrative that's been shaped around them this generation? I can tell you that won't happen with a Slim or a 1.5 They have to go big next time if they want to get the monkey off their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back