Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 1 baby life is more valuable than infinite ants' lives, I extrapolate

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • I beg to differ(explain)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • other(explain)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Think of how much money in biodesial you could make by collecting and killing all of the world's ants! If I had to let a baby be born to do that, then so be it! :D

zidane1strife said:
That is correct. I guess I should have elaborated more. </p>
The example I'm making is this. Pressume there are ants and all the other what have you, the ecosystems nice and all. Yet we decide to bring a baby(say it reproduces asexually or that we mean a few babies.) into this world, once we bring one more are very likely to result. The grown babies are powerful enough to stop pretty much anything the ants can do, and keep bringing up babies. Eventually this act could endanger the whole ant species if not all life on the planet(e.g. like humanity's done). Is it worth it bringing the baby into the world in such a scenario? Do you consider the baby to be as worthy or even worthier of this world than anything that came before it? Cause bringing the baby entails the possibility of destroying every living thing that came before it. If you consider the baby, or humanity unworthy of coming into being in this world, I'd like you to elaborate more :devilish: .

Suppose rather than a baby and ants, we have humanity and the next stage in evolution. We know that if we bring such a higher being into this world, it could entail more of its kin will come into this world. Such beings once they develop could endanger the entirety of not just humanity but the whole world, and it would be beyond our power to do anything about it, just like the ants. Thus if you agree that humanity is worthy of coming into this world despite the possibility it'd endanger all other lifeforms, do you also agree that a higher lifeform is worthy of coming into this world? Knowing that it entails the possibility of the destruction of all lifeforms preceding it, including humanity. If you don't consider it worthy, please elaborate.

I guess it boils down to diminishing returns :)
If that superhuman baby can replace or instigate a change for the improvement of humanity, then why not.
but if the cost is humanity itself, then I would pass on that idea...
I guess the real test here is who's willing to play God :)

zidane1strife said:
When humanity is placed in the balance and at the other end is a true living Godlike entity, toward which side does your balance tilt?

Also no question, humans of course. Because that's where we are. Perfectly legit. Don't you think the ants would say the same? From their perspective, it would be just as legit.

Our discussion can not be purely od phillosophic nature, because the natural selfishness and the survival instict will always lead to the same decision - humans are the most valuable species to humans.

LunchBox said:
I guess it boils down to diminishing returns :)
If that superhuman baby can replace or instigate a change for the improvement of humanity, then why not.
but if the cost is humanity itself, then I would pass on that idea...
The point is humanity could end up being part of the cost, though it's not guaranteed.
It's like with the dev. of humans, the extinction of the species that precedes a higher one is always a possibility.

Knowing this would you be in favor or against such? Humans could be left alone, get the best possible living conditions, be kept as equals, pets or even toys, etc... Probably a little of each.;)

I guess the real test here is who's willing to play God :)

Yes who's ready to play god with gods knowing they may actually end up dead or worse...

_xxx_ said:
Also no question, humans of course. Because that's where we are. Perfectly legit. Don't you think the ants would say the same? From their perspective, it would be just as legit.

Our discussion can not be purely od phillosophic nature, because the natural selfishness and the survival instict will always lead to the same decision - humans are the most valuable species to humans.
Yet humans have chosen the gods, hell even crude symbols of made-up ones, above fellow men so many times throughout history... What would men do faced with real ones? Do you not think many would be those that would value them more than their own kin?

Last edited by a moderator:
zidane1strife said:
Yet humans have chosen the gods, hell even crude symbols of made-up ones, above fellow men so many times throughout history... What would men do faced with real ones? Do you not think many would be those that would value them more than their own kin?

Surely there would be some, just turn on your TV. But I wouldn't and I also think the majority of humans would choose life over death. But if those beings were really that powerful, it's not like our opinion would make any difference to them.

_xxx_ said:
Surely there would be some, just turn on your TV. But I wouldn't and I also think the majority of humans would choose life over death. But if those beings were really that powerful, it's not like our opinion would make any difference to them.
Indeed, our opinion wouldn't make much difference towards them, but what of towards fellow humans, what would they say of bringing such into this world? Many'd be those who'd embrace them and call them here. What would you think of those fellow men, would you embrace their cause or would you oppose it?

As long as they're not seemingly directly in contact with us, it's no biggie, but once you've established contact... Things change for we all simply begin to be at the mercy/whims of another/others.

edited

I would place much less value on babies than adults. In an adult there has been a huge investment of time, effort and love, it's a sentient self-aware being. Babies have the potential to become so but they're really no more self-aware or intelligent than a dog, monkey, pig or dolphin.

Ants have nearly no value to me whatsoever. You'd have to kill enough ants to start making a difference to me personally for me to even consider killing a babie over X ants.

(I never really had the "cuteness" response to things with huge eyes and 'round' features. )

Back