Ethics as it pertains to returning broken stuff

Is returning a broken Xbox360 to a retailer like Costco bad?

• Stealing is always something I look down upon no matter the circumstance

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • In a situation like this I find it acceptable, but only if Microsoft would not take it back

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Microsoft is to blame, and if they would not take it back, well, "sorry chum"

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I want a third solution which I will outline in my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pakotlar

Banned
So the issue is summed up in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1139988

Basically this kid had a broken xbox360 that was out of warranty, so he bought a new xbox360 and returned the old, broken unit to Costco. I've heard of this being done before, so that wasn't much of an interesting event. It was the responses that followed that surprised me. People wrote things like, "Your friend is a criminal" and, "That isn't a friend worth keeping".

I don't think that doing something like that is very ethical either. But I come from a third world country where I learned that fair doesn't often exist in this world, and it is really up to you to look out for yourself.

The xbox360 is not something necessary to this kid's existence, and therefore does not really fall under my survival of the fittest mantra. But I was surprised that in that forum, not a single person brought up the point that this guy spent more than 400 dollars on a system that broke on him in a year, from a company that sends out a lot of faulty hardware. I just got an xbox360 too, and my system is already having issues and it has been less than a month. I can very well imagine that mine too will break out of warranty.

So my question is, what would you do? I don't think it is very fair to steal from a proxy corporation like Costco [when you are really targeting Microsoft], but at the same time, I do not think it is up to a user to absorb the cost of faulty manufacturing. Yes it is "unethical", but where does ethics end and practicality begin? The xbox360, regardless of the warranty period, has an expected lifetime of 5 years. It is not such a cheap item for people to constantly re-buy, and re-buying a unit that consistently fails before its expected lifetime is over (for a unit thats mtbf is consistently lower than what is considered ok) smells to me like consumer extortion. I do not think it is reasonable for this device to consistently be failing within a year's grace. I construe this as a liability that Microsoft should financially absorb, not the consumer.

In this case, I certainly wouldn't condemn my friend for his lateral practicality, although I would have suggested that he try bitching and moaning to Microsoft about it first. However, if that did not work, I would consider something like the Costco swap reasonable. Certainly not something that I would lose a friend over.

And my final question is, who are these guys that throw away friends like that? Clearly the eastern European concept of friendship is different from the American one. A friend is not something you throw away over something like what this guy did.

I'd love to hear you guys chime in. Please write what you chose on the poll and why. What should the friend have done?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the 360 was faulty, then the fact that the kid didn't have a longer warranty doesn't excuse MS from producing a product that should last for much longer than that.

personally I think the costco swap is reasonable, because all Costco will do with the unit is return it to Microsoft as part of an RMA batch, and MS will refurb, trash it, etc, (this is usually the case, who knows though, costco might resell it to some unlucky SOB) so its similar to returning to MS

the complaining to MS idea makes sense too, its similar to this guide I read on dumpster diving (of all things...) that said ask before you dive, if they say no, its not like you're going to listen, but if they say yes, you've gained something, so it only has a positive outcome (because if you didn't ask, and they would've said no anyways, you're still going to get in trouble if you're caught (because ignorance to the law or rule doesn't exempt you))

as far as the product breaking, yes, a year of effective life is crap, given that i've seen 80286 based machines running solid for 20 years, monitor, printer, modem and all, so its not impossible to build "state of the art" hardware and have it last for longer than 12-14 months, it just takes a desire to produce quality products (something that the IT industry really needs to get back to...)

my best guess at "throw that friend away" is an alteration on survival of the fittest, in other words "CYA" (cover your a**), don't be guilted into something by associating with someone who's a "black sheep" according to american social standards, which require people to play perfect little roles and be perfect little "clones" of one another...to a degree (and on that note, i think i'm gonna go pick up a nice new nomex suit)

I'd definitely not do that swap, and I don't think it's a stretch to call someone who did it a criminal.

If a friend did it? Well I'd certainly give him a hard time for it. It wouldn't be enough to end a friendship, but he would probably be "degraded" a notch or two. And a friend that often did that kind of things, would need some really good sides to not be demoted out of friendship.

But practically, it wouldn't be a problem in this case. Since it would be under a 3 year warranty here. That's a non-negotiable law in Sweden.

Two years in Italy (and in all EU countries too, at least).
Anyway, the whole thing sounds pretty trivial to me...

You forgot to mention the kid had a CORE system and picked up a PREMIUM system at costco then stuck the broken CORE system in the PREMIUM box and returned it netting the kid a "free" $100 upgrade.

In that case it is stealing no if, ands, or buts about it.
Too bad the kid will probably get away with it.

In Europe, there is a two year minimum warranty on anything that is expected to last at least that long. And there is a "fair trade" policy as well: no matter the length of the warranty, if something breaks down before the end of the expected lifetime of it (or the part), you can reclaim a partial warranty for that as well. So, if the Xbox360 has an expected lifetime of 5 years, and it breaks down after two, you can claim three-fifths of the repair costs from the store you brought it from or the manufacturer (as you've already "consumed" two fifths).

Basically this kid had a broken xbox360 that was out of warranty, so he bought a new xbox360 and returned the old, broken unit to Costco.
This sounds rather a lot like fraud to me. Which is a felony last time I checked.

If the store bothers to check the serial numbers on the stuff they receive he's toast.

I don't know if the 360's estimated lifetime really is 5 yrars o rnot but that does not warrant committing crimes. I'd say to the kid the guarantee had ended. Tough shit. Don't buy any more microsoft stuff if you think what they make is junk.

They haven't monopolized the consoole marke.t Yet anyway. There are other choices.

Peace.

So clearly he broke the law. End of freaking story. What's worse is he abused Costco, a company that is extremely forgiving with regards to warranty, etc. In fact they've had to beef up their checking just because people would abuse them. Its not right and believe it or not this stuff does come back around and can effect everyone. I'd say this is much more common than it would seem.

What % of X360's (early ones, I presume) really have had problems? What data supports the claim that the MTBF is 'consistently' (repetitive, ins't that?) below "expected" (and what is expected anyway?)?. What data supports the claim that he would need to keep rebuying the console, instead of just this once? What is the mean price of repair by MS instead of simply trashing and rebuying?

Lots of questions there, but going on the provided information, here's my opinion: what the guy did was unethical and criminal. Shit happens. If you seem to have bad luck with lots of shit happening, or don't like gambles (where short warranties apply) then get the extended warranty. Otherwise, take your gamble like everyone else and know that sometime during your life some piece of electronics is going to fail just outside the warranty period. Fact of life. Shit happens. Doesn't give you the right for fraud, and certainly not a free upgrade theft and fraud on top of that.

You forgot to mention the kid had a CORE system and picked up a PREMIUM system at costco then stuck the broken CORE system in the PREMIUM box and returned it netting the kid a "free" $100 upgrade.

That's very different IMO. If he took it back and it broke due to poor design/quality, that's one thing - and forgivable IMO. Stealing a Premium from a Core is theft, though, no doubt about that.

Is it illegal? Yes it is. Is it unethical? Not in my opinion.

Let me elaborate. Most of the law system is constructed in such a way, so that big companies always have the upper hand. And even if the customer has the upper hand, it simply costs too much for the customer to try and get through the entire legal process.

Now, IMO there isnt any reason why an xbox 360 shouldnt last at least 2 years. In europe, we have such a warranty(it is demanded by law). In the US, you dont have such a warranty. Is it because that kind of warranty is illogical? No, of course not. An electronic device of that type shouldnt have any problem lasting at least 2 years before breaking down. But in the US, companies have obviously a bigger saying when it comes to laws than in Europe.

I could go on and analyse ethics, but this isnt the point. The point is, that this kind of electronic device can and will last more than 2 years. If it doesnt, then there is obviously something wrong with it. If there is something wrong with it, then its obviously the manufacturer's problem, not the customer's.

If he did that, then obviously he is stupid cause he could have easily get caught. And its immoral too.

He broke the law and cheats others out. This isn't always a issue with the "big guy". This stuff often time comes right back around and hits everyone else in the face. Perfect example is Costco and how they had to change their computer policy because they were having people cheat them out constantly. That's a massive issue and frankly anyone who contributes to it can shove it IMO.

I think the kid is right. You buy a expensive product wich imo is supposed to last atleast 4 years. Now stupid laws dont really product consumers enough so I think the kid is right. In the end it will be only MS who is losing money and that is their own fault because they should just make sure their machines last for a decent time.

I think the kid is right. .. In the end it will be only MS who is losing money and that is their own fault because they should just make sure their machines last for a decent time.
It's not just MS losing money it's also the store he defrauded. So the losses get pushed onto th eother customers which could well be you or me.

You want to pay extra because some little prick cheated himself to a working better console?

Maybe you say it's no biggie because it's just one guy. But if thousands of people pull stunts like this all the time it will sure show up in the statistics somehow. Either by higher prices or even crappier warranties or both.

It's not robin hood stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. It's one alwbreaker enrichening himself and himself only on the expense of everybdy else. Nothing ethical about that and nothing excuses that kind of behavior.

Peace.

You think it's MS loosing money?
Just because Costco didn't check that it was the right version, doesn't mean that MS won't.
Most companies would check, but it seems that Costco is an exception.
So the end result is that Costco will have to pay for it.

Even more stupid move since the other people in the thread says that MS actualy done warranty repairs on out-of warranty XBOXes.

My post above was based solely on what pakotlar said, I didn't read the link. If the kid switched from CORE to PREMIUM, then he's definitely a criminal.

pakotlar said:
Clearly the eastern European concept of friendship is different from the American one.
Friendship? Don't know. But your concept of ethics is definitely different from a lot of people's.

I think the kid is right. You buy a expensive product wich imo is supposed to last atleast 4 years.
In your opinion. Since when do people's opinions about what should and should not happen allow them to circumvent the law (which, ironically, is how people's opinions about these types of things are ultimately expressed)?

Oh.

Well if that's true, then that's very different.

Back