Elder Scrolls Online Officially Announced!

There is no way this will be good.

I'm a huge fan of both MMO's and TES, so I'm curious to see the marriage of them both. I'm reserving judgment until more news comes in. It's definitely newsworthy, though.

They're gonna have to make each region of Tamriel WAY bigger than anything seen so far in a TES game to work as a MMO.

Also, MMO market is pretty saturated as is, especially with regards to fantasy games, and I suspect many players are getting a bit burned out on the whole MMO subscription model too. Not sure how big a success they expect to be able to actually make here.

They're gonna have to make each region of Tamriel WAY bigger than anything seen so far in a TES game to work as a MMO.

Also, MMO market is pretty saturated as is, especially with regards to fantasy games, and I suspect many players are getting a bit burned out on the whole MMO subscription model too. Not sure how big a success they expect to be able to actually make here.
I think that single player RPG players and MMO players are quite a different crowd. The MMO people I know don't really play single player games at all. I think a quality TES MMO is very likely to make Bethesda a lot of money because they are reaching out to millions of new customers. Also, if all of the goofy companion mods for Oblivion and Skyrim are a hint at anything, I think a lot of TES players want to play with groups of people.

Fantasy is tired to me too, but it sells to people like sports and military shooters do. People apparently can't get enough of Tolkienesque. Maybe that STALKER MMO will be glorious? ;)

I'm not sure whether to be excited or not as it could very well mean the end of single player TES games, despite being set a millennium before Skyrim.

Skyrim the old republic ;)

Or perhaps Guild Scrolls, the Tera Republic?

i-5SpGRMQ-X2.jpg

If they make it free to play in some ways I am for it. I refuse to pay a monthly fee now, but it would be fun to explore the world. I was part of tamriel rebuilt and just creating the huge expanse to run about in was entertaining.

Aren't there regions of the map that were never actually in any of the games, like Blackmarsh, Summerset Isle and Eleswyr? I agree with Grall in the sense that they would have to seriously expand upon existing locations, in terms of physical size. But, who knows; Maybe the devs will take a few liberties and increase everything drastically. A lot of people are divided on how to feel about this announcement, many claiming it would destroy the SP element entirely. Then again, one of the biggest complaints I hear from friends/read online about the series in general is it's lack of cooperative play or multiplayer. So maybe a new spin on things will be a nice change.

Potential upside: 1) established brand, though established gameplay mechanics won't transfer to the MMO formula without considerable tweaking/changes. 2) lots and lots of lore. Metric fucktons of lore to tap into.

Potential downside: 1) The ES brand centers around that your toon is special, unique. The MMO throws that right out. 2) possibly being developed for consoles too? Thanks for limiting the visuals to what you can squeeze into 512mb in 2013, assholes.

I'm indifferent. I'm actually against it if this means no more single-player ES games in the next 10 years or so.

Interesting...I had banned mmo's just because of the extreme time sink that they are, but might be tempted to try this assuming it could be played semi normally and not require scheduling 6 hour blocks at a time to play it.

I think that single player RPG players and MMO players are quite a different crowd. The MMO people I know don't really play single player games at all.
That's just your anecdotal evidence though. I'm not sure how far that pattern goes beyond your own circle of friends. Methinks MMO players are largely a subclass of gamers in general, with some overlap here and there, such as the new "casual gamer" breed, and so on.

I think a quality TES MMO is very likely to make Bethesda a lot of money because they are reaching out to millions of new customers.
Not new. They'd be competing for a piece of the same customer pie as with every other MMO, including the big dog heavyweight champ WoW, which is going on 8 years right now and still has around 10M subbers. That's like 100x more than most of the other subscription-based MMOs. :LOL:

Although I don't agree with the direction Blizzard's taken the direction of the game lately, you just can't reach anywhere near the level of polish a game such as WoW has in a recently-launched product, yet the yardstick IS those old, established MMOs.

Also, if all of the goofy companion mods for Oblivion and Skyrim are a hint at anything, I think a lot of TES players want to play with groups of people.
Going from my personal experiences with over half a decade of WoW under my belt, he average intelligence and reliability of any random MMO player is probably way below that of a goofy Skyrim AI follower... ;) Not comparable, really.

Maybe that STALKER MMO will be glorious? ;)
Hm, Stalker isn't my thing, with the way that game turned out in the end. The concept sounded cool early on in the game's development, but the result was just pap IMO. What I would have loved was WH40k MMO, but since THQ is so busy imploding/self-destructing these days we're never going to see it. They've already announced they're re-gearing the game into a single-player/online team game, but I bet they'll go bankrupt before actually being able to finish it.

Hm, regarding the actual topic of the thread... I just read on Joystiq that the MMO is going to take place ~1000 years in the past compared to Skyrim.

I wonder, does that mean there will be Dwemer in the game, or had they all disappeared already by then?

An MMO that removes all the qualities that defines Elder Scrolls and makes it unique and then dumps the remaining IP onto a static and lifeless environment with statues for NPCs and uniformly dispersed mobs invisibly tethered only to be hacked down by a rudimentary quasi-"real time" single click combat system.

Can't wait.

An MMO that removes all the qualities that defines Elder Scrolls and makes it unique and then dumps the remaining IP onto a static and lifeless environment with statues for NPCs and uniformly dispersed mobs invisibly tethered only to be hacked down by a rudimentary quasi-"real time" single click combat system.

Can't wait.

haha you just nailed it, thanks.

Hm, regarding the actual topic of the thread... I just read on Joystiq that the MMO is going to take place ~1000 years in the past compared to Skyrim.

I wonder, does that mean there will be Dwemer in the game, or had they all disappeared already by then?

AFAIK, the Dwemer have been gone for ~3500 years in Skyrim so no, they're long dead even during that time period.

I'll hate this if it means no more single-player Elder Scrolls game, as that fact also made me hate SW:TOR (and even Galaxies) when it meant no more single-player KOTOR games, and WoW when it meant no more Warcraft games.

There are two factors why I probably will never, ever play a MMORPG:

1- I want the NPCs to be actors in the story, I want them to at least "try" to be life-like. I don't want them to "know" they're characters in a videogame. I want them to act as if their life depended on the situation, talk as if they're living in the game. I want them to be scared when faced with a threatening situation,

I don't want to have my game infested with high-pitched and weakly-moustached teens making jokes about my mother every time I do something wrong, constantly jumping around and trying to place their characters into something that resembles a sex position, leaving in the middle of a situation because they have to go to school or their mom called them to dinner.

One of the things about (good) RPG videogames that attract me the most is that they take me away from reality during the time I'm playing. I really enjoy that "time-off" during those ~6 hours/week during which I turn into a "gamer hermit".
Therefore, I don't want to play a RPG that brings into its world any kind of reality other than my own.

Sure, I also play party games and a couple of coops but that's a social event for me, that I play with family and friends. That's not more of a "gaming experience" than it is a social one.

2 - My social + professional life wouldn't allow me to spend enough time leveling up a character that's strong enough to "make a difference".
I'd never be competitive enough for that, as I've never been competitive enough in a multiplayer game of any kind.
And I don't want to, either. If I have to spend time "leveling up", I'd rather do it in real life where the perks I get are a lot more rewarding.

I would be completely oblivious to this announcement, if history didn't tell me that so far, every franchise turned into a MMO has pretty much killed all future single-player sequels.
Then again... it's being made by ZeniMax and not Bethesda Game Studios.. So BGS is still free to do their thing..

Isn't ZeniMax just the parent company/publisher and not an actual development resource?

Back