The Elder Scrolls Online [PS4, XO]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
All of the new features shown in the video below will be included from the get-go on the PS4 & Xbox One versions when they release on June 9. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited launches on PC today, March 17th 2015.

Elder_Scrolls_Online_cover.png

theelderscrollsonline.jpg

1365957012-tes-online-render.png

The_Elder_Scrolls_Online_(2)_1395313184.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-online-5340e9add45ae.jpg

Please, mods, if there is already a thread for this game in the Console Games forum, copy and paste this message to said thread, but I didn't find any.

You do know this game has been out for almost a year on PC and Mac, right?

From what I've read, the recent 20Gb patch largely changes many game systems to make them more fun (or less tedious - glass half full / half empty) and it's almost a new game ;-) I really liked Oblivion and Skyrim and have sunk more time into MMOs than console games over the years so have kept an eye on this.

I still can't see myself getting it. I want a new Elder Scrolls game where other dickheads aren't gong to spoil my fun.

From what I've read, the recent 20Gb patch largely changes many game systems to make them more fun (or less tedious - glass half full / half empty) and it's almost a new game ;-) I really liked Oblivion and Skyrim and have sunk more time into MMOs than console games over the years so have kept an eye on this. I still can't see myself getting it. I want a new Elder Scrolls game where other dickheads aren't gong to spoil my fun.

Yeah I'm the same. I'm a huge fan of Elder Scrolls games, along with Fallout they are the only games left that still get me to spend stupid amounts of hours on them. I've kept an eye on Elder Scrolls Online because of that but haven't made the leap. One of my favorite aspects of the stand alone game is just being able to explore the crazy vast world they lay out for you at my leisurely pace along with being able to save anywhere so I can play as much or as little as I want, and I don't know if I could enjoy it the same way if I always had to worry about other players messing things up or having to make it to save points or quest completion points. I suppose that after also having played Ultima Online, Everquest, Wow, etc that maybe I've just had my fill of time sink mmo's. But I still do have an eye on this game...although I suspect I'm really just hoping for a new stand alone game or a new Fallout game.

I hope you folks don't expect a normal Elder Scrolls experience with ES:O? The only thing similar between them is the world itself and even that isn't very similar since it's thousands of years apart.

I hope you folks don't expect a normal Elder Scrolls experience with ES:O?
No, we both want new stand alone games. New Elder Scrolls and Fallout games would be both be good but my monies on Fallout 4 at E3.

Yeah it's much too early for ES6. Besides, Fallout 4 will 98% likely be on gamebryo/whatever/old-ass-dx9 engine. Bethesda are doing their fans a disservice by constantly releasing on the aging engine and the next one better be DX12 since it will be another few years away.

Looks nice!

Don't want to think about load times on consoles, though. ;)
Are they too bad on the PC then?
Kind of.. I knew that the trailer was out last year but not the game, I thought it was a beta.
Its just gone subscription free
This has been confirmed time ago, only for consoles, did they also get rid of the subscription fee on the PC?

Kind of.. I knew that the trailer was out last year but not the game, I thought it was a beta.
This has been confirmed time ago, only for consoles, did they also get rid of the subscription fee on the PC?
It was announced awhile ago and implemented in the last week on PC yes.

I like the way all the promotional material for this game has Nords pushed to the front of every image. As if Zenimax's marketing dept. seems to think that they are the more popular race due to Skyrims mega sales. It's so obviously marketing-driven it's cringeworthy.

I mean, even if they had data to suggest that Nords were the most chosen race in Skyrim, that still doens't prove that they are the fan favourite. Especially when the entire game is designed and written around the Nords to the extent that the story would just feel weird playing as any other race.

No idea, but I have a phat SSD in my rig, whereas consoles come with wimpy laptop HDDs. If going by Destiny standards (not particularly incredible graphics, one might say), the loading will get fairly aggravating after a while. This was absolutely a contributing factor to me not bothering much with Destiny after the first week of buying it...

Yes, subs are gone for all platforms. Or maybe you can keep subbing on PC and not have to use the real money store, I'm not sure about that. Subs aren't mandatory anymore for PC, though.

I wonder if different console platform players can mix, or even mix with PC players... :p Probably not, eh?

It's so obviously marketing-driven it's cringeworthy.
It'd be better to think it was marketing-driven because of the Skyrim connection, but truth is probably that it's marketing-driven due to good ole smelly racism, sadly. The idea that a white person is the default form of human being is extremely pervasive in commercial culture and advertising.

Well Nords aren't the only white/causcasian-like race in Tamriel. Imperials and Brittons could equally be considered such, so I'd be less inclined to jump to the conclusion of racial, and moreso assume it's to do with Skyrim's success.

Eitherway, it's pretty bad.

Perhaps I can't talk though, because I've never played an Elder Scrolls game or any other fantasy RPG as anything but the generic 30-something white male trope. And I'm a black man. I'm probably part of the problem aren't I?

My impression of Zenimax is that they're your typical bean-counter-suits, shady-as-shit, money's-all-that-matters, let's-mik-franchises-until-everyone-hates-them corporation who cares little about games themselves.

They already went the MMO route, so... Next stop might be to turn Elder Scrolls Online into F2P. Get your exclusive freezing dragon shouts for as little as $5 for a pack of 100 shouts!

After that fails, I wouldn't be surprised if they force Bethesda to develop Elder Scrolls VI: Skyrim II within a single year, with half the development budget of the first game and twice the marketing budget.

Only Grall could bring the concept of racism into elder scrolls. Do you really have to dramatize everything?

Well you explain it then.

You don't think skin color is ever a consideration in these kind of situations? A company wants to project a certain image and attitude in a marketing movie, arguably the more money is at stake the more effort is spent creating that image. Look at Ridley Scott's comments on his casting choices for his bible movie for one concrete example.

No I don't think racism was a factor at all. Elder Scrolls takes into account many types of human beings based on similar geographical locations in the real world. Thus a northern glacial/snow region was based on Nordic look and background and as mentioned they're primarily trying to ride the Skyrim-hype with the nord front-and-center.

Taking any kind of bible-related movie as an example automatically fails because what modern religions consider to the the racial-type/look of their ideological patriarchs makes no sense whatsoever and the reality wouldn't make a damn cent.

Last edited:
Well Nords aren't the only white/causcasian-like race in Tamriel. Imperials and Brittons could equally be considered such, so I'd be less inclined to jump to the conclusion of racial, and moreso assume it's to do with Skyrim's success.

Eitherway, it's pretty bad.

Perhaps I can't talk though, because I've never played an Elder Scrolls game or any other fantasy RPG as anything but the generic 30-something white male trope. And I'm a black man. I'm probably part of the problem aren't I?
Now that you mention it, I think Far Cry 4 setting might have something to do with that. It is a special place, unique, an amazing game, but there is something familiar about it... if you have played Skyrim.

Back