Eeek! 80s flashback!

Guden Oden

Legend
Not too long ago I visited my parents, and my mum noted she'd found my collection of scented erasors. I remember buying these around 83, 84 maybe, in a toy store that was housed in an old crumbling building in a huge room that had used to be a stage or possibly movie theatre long ago. I also heard it having served as a bowling alley at one time or another. It was musty and overly pompous in a way, filled with ornamentations and painted motifs, old fading glittering glitz on the walls and ceiling.

All the erasors were displayed on a shelf next to the cash register. There were tons of different ones, most of them quite unspectacular. I used to scour through them, picking the ones that looked the coolest and buy them 3 for SKR15 or something like that, I can't remember. It was cheaper if you bought them three at a time anyway. I had two potted cactii, and some sodacan shaped ones, and various fruit imitations and a rainbow-colored heart, and three milk bottles (white, brown, black; don't ask me what the black one was supposed to contain!), and so on.

It was a major trip down memory lane sorting through them all again, and I actually brought 'em all back home with me. They still have a lot of flavor (though I doubt it's possible to differentiate the coke erasor from the strawberry one - if it ever was I guess), and I remember how I mostly picked erasors that said "made in japan" on them, rather than "made in hong kong", because japanese erasors didn't crumble when you touched them, the hong kong ones did. Some of the erasors came with plastic caps or containers with them, and it seemed the rubber of some of the erasors has some kind of softening chemical in it that over the years made the plastic melt and become all gooey when they touched. I had to tear some of them apart, very weird!

I also started thinking of other 80s things, like Miami Vice, or the pop group Aha. And weird poodle-like hairspray hairdos. :D

And today, for the first time in like 20 years I again heard the name Tempestt Bledsoe. Jeez! What's more 80s than the Cosby Show? And scented erasors...

Oh yes, I remember the smelly rubbers of the 80´s.
But here it was a girls' thing, but that's ok Guden, we've always thought of the swedish guys a bit girly here in Finland :D

Back