Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan

At times like these, people like to make bold statements to try and hitch a ride on current events to celebrity. I would take any radical ideas with a couple pinches of salt.
Yeah, that was pretty much the worst-case scenario. Not impossible but extremely unlikely.

As for the power plant, there have been reports that fallout is worse than on 3-mile isle. No official confirmation yet though.

Yeah, that was pretty much the worst-case scenario. Not impossible but extremely unlikely.

As for the power plant, there have been reports that fallout is worse than on 3-mile isle. No official confirmation yet though.

At worst the radiation levels at the site have been 1015 μSv, which equals to about the radiaton you get anywhere on earth during one year, but instead you get it in one hour.
After the explosion which blew the outer reactor building to bits and pieces, the radiaton levels fell down to 70.5μSv rather quickly.

edit:

The Fukushima incident has been rated (for now) on the INES scale (International Nuclear Event Scale) to 4 (Accident With Local Consequences), while Three mile island was rated 5 (Accident With Wider Consequences) and Chernobyl was rated 7 (Major Accident).

Last edited by a moderator:
hoping the death can be minimum and hoping the technology/technique/method of the "What to do then stunami come" can also be "ported" from japan to Indonesia.

my country have poor government in economy in education and so on. So when disaster like that happend its always awful (like the tsunami in Aceh region)

The problem is there is not much you can do. You can build buildings strong enough to survice a earthquake or build dikes strong enough to avoid flooding during a heavy storm but there is nothing that will stop a wall of water. At best you can give out warnings but than we get the situation in Japan where people only have 10 ~ 15 minutes to evacuate which is too short or like in Indonesia where people just didn't want to leave their small piece of land because it's all they had.

The Fukushima incident has been rated (for now) on the INES scale (International Nuclear Event Scale) to 4 (Accident With Local Consequences), while Three mile island was rated 5 (Accident With Wider Consequences) and Chernobyl was rated 7 (Major Accident).
Just as some guy on BBC just said it's very likely that Japanese government doesn't release the full information at the moment as it doesn't want to panic people in already rather dire situation. It'll probably take days or weeks before we get a proper idea of what was going on there.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77025.html
The core at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's No. 1 reactor may be partially melting, the nuclear safety agency said Saturday.

Radioactive substance cesium was detected around the reactor, it said.
Of course that sais "may be" so take it with appropriate amount of salt :)
[edit]
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/76962.html
The cooling system failed at three reactors of the quake-hit Fukushima No. 2 nuclear power plant Saturday, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

The company, which has already scrambled to deal with radiation leaks at its Fukushima No. 1 plant, notified the industry ministry that the failsafe system at the No. 2 plant stopped functioning as the temperature of coolant water has topped 100 C.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JFF03.htm
TOKYO (Nikkei)--The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core.
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031231-e.html
* The value of radioactive material (iodine, etc) is increasing according
to the monitoring car at the site (outside of the site). One of the
monitoring posts is also indicating higher than normal level.

Last edited by a moderator:
B3G5T.jpg

Chernobyl 2.0 :no:

Yes I agree very unlikely, though no doubt some 'entrepreneurs' will be making money selling radiation suits etc to gullible US/canadian citizens. Actually thats a hint for someone here to make some cash, just remember my cut ;)

Yes I agree very unlikely, though no doubt some 'entrepreneurs' will be making money selling radiation suits etc to gullible US/canadian citizens. Actually thats a hint for someone here to make some cash, just remember my cut ;)

Well that photo was posted on some sites as an outright false picture. It can't be traced to any official source.

B3G5T.jpg

Chernobyl 2.0 :no:

It's fake and apparently originated from 4chan.
There was only really, really small cloud of radioactive matter released due explosion, and even that wasn't deadly - around the site the highest radiation levels ever got was around 1050 uSv, meaning you get the same amount of radiation you get usually within a year during 1 hour.

Regarding containment building, apparently its of this general design, external building is mostly just weather shelter with main containment vessel inside
bwr-mk1i.jpg

Here is best close up I've seen since the explosion, looks like bottom part made of concrete is intact with the cladding of the top blown off, generally fits the above cross section.
4764008_600x400.jpg

Scary stuff & makes the CHCH earthquake look distinctly minor.

makes the CHCH earthquake look distinctly minor.
the most recent chch was only bad cause it was shallow ~5km + very close to the city ~10km (chch is built on crap land also) i.e. bad luck
eg
the christchurch 6.3 @ 10km distance + 5km deep quake was far worse damage than the
chch quake 7.1 @ 40km distance + 5km deep of 6months ago, mainly cause damage falls off by the square of the distance (I assume, ignoring geological features), like sound

the japan quake 8.9 was ~200km away + 10km deep from the nuclear reactors.
If the 8.9 quake happened near tokyo or something I have no doubt deaths would be in the millions as it would be 10,000 times stronger than what it experienced this time

looking at this map it looks like ~200km distance is about 2.5 mag less.
thus the reactors failed at only a magnitude 6.5 earthquake (which is pretty worrying)
intensity.jpg

the most recent chch was only bad cause it was shallow ~5km + very close to the city ~10km (chch is built on crap land also) i.e. bad luck
eg
the christchurch 6.3 @ 10km distance + 5km deep quake was far worse damage than the
chch quake 7.1 @ 40km distance + 5km deep of 6months ago, mainly cause damage falls off by the square of the distance (I assume, ignoring geological features), like sound

the japan quake 8.9 was ~200km away + 10km deep from the nuclear reactors.
If the 8.9 quake happened near tokyo or something I have no doubt deaths would be in the millions as it would be 10,000 times stronger than what it experienced this time

looking at this map it looks like ~200km distance is about 2.5 mag less.
thus the reactors failed at only a magnitude 6.5 earthquake (which is pretty worrying)

1000 times worse is a gross exaggeration. I believe in Tokyo it was roughly the equivalent of a 7.0ish earthquake I believe and that was ~240km from the quake's center. The reactor in question was a lot closer ~100-110km from center I believe. Beyond that the impact of this quake is particularly massive as it shifted Japan 12 feet closer to the US, lowered Japan by 2 feet, and shorted the average day by a smidge.

Regards,
SB

According to wiki
A magnitude 8.9 is about 1.41 EJ or 1.41x10^18 Joules - Sendai Japan
A 7.0 is about 2.0 PJ or 2.0 x10^15 Joules
A 6.3 is about 178 TJ or 1.78 x 10^14 Joules - Christchurch New Zealand

Back