Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/22/chernobyl-cleanup-survivors-message-for-japan-run-away-as-qui/
What message do you have for Japan?
Run away as quickly as possible. Don't wait. Save yourself and don't rely on the government because the government lies. They don't want you to know the truth because the nuclear industry is so powerful.

I feel this seems a tad over the top. It will be a great chance to see just how Japan and the USSR compared in terms of transparency. When you compare 3-mile island to Chernobyl what do you think? Run away as fast as you can?

I feel this seems a tad over the top. It will be a great chance to see just how Japan and the USSR compared in terms of transparency. When you compare 3-mile island to Chernobyl what do you think? Run away as fast as you can?

Theoretically you can only be 3 miles away from 3 mile island disaster whilst still being on 3 mile island?

Theoretically you can only be 3 miles away from 3 mile island disaster whilst still being on 3 mile island?

I am sorry but I have little idea what you are asking. You have a :?: so I assume it is a question. Do a google image search if you want. In other news the aftershock they just had is more powerful than many earthquakes. That is insane after all this time. A serious bunch of shaking.

With supply about 4% of New Zealand’s annual electricity generation none realy cares. Lobists and eco-terrorists achieved what they wanted.
eco-terrorists :) actually here in NZ it was the economists that wanted them. also 4% which is up about 400% in 5 years (thus 4% and growing rapidly), the fact is since wind power has become a minor player NZ has had no power crisis's (history lesson - here in nz every couple of years the lake levels would drop down low & thus ppl had to save power or else run the risk of power cuts eg in the years 2001,2003,2006)

the reason being the cost of generation

hydro, geothermal // cheap
coal, gas // more expensive

companies try to make as much money as possible thus will use the cheaper option, until theyre forced to choose the expensive option (when the cheap option is running out, in this case water in the lakes),

now with wind power the equation looks like

wind, hydro, geothermal // cheap
coal, gas // more expensive

thus wind is always used first (thus less water is needed)

I am sorry but I have little idea what you are asking
hmmm

Any body with reliable info about the state of the Fukushima nuclear plant?
Because what I read oscillate between horrible to close to apocalyptic (like the high odds for another earthquake within 2/3 years of (lesser) magnitude the plant might not longer be in a condition to suffer are close to 100%).

Because what I read oscillate between horrible to close to apocalyptic (like the high odds for another earthquake within 2/3 years of (lesser) magnitude the plant might not longer be in a condition to suffer are close to 100%).
Nowhere on Earth is there that large a chance of a significant earthquake within 2-3 years.

Read the daily JAIF reports here :) Some 420 documents.
I catch up from time to time, summary:

The reactors are stable. Residual heat production are at very low levels.

Reactor one ańd two appears to have holes in their containment, because water levels are at the 40 and 60 cm levles respectively rather than the expected 2 meters (not a surprise since they've pumped more water into the reactors than have come out). This will complicate cleanup. The have accumulated *large* amounts of heavily contaminated water at the site.

All nuclear reactors in Japan (55 of them) have been shut down for inspection or maintenance (or destroyed) as a consequence of the earth quake / Fukushima Daichi disaster. A few is about to start up again. There will be electricity rationing in the coming summer . The energy imports have given Japan a trade deficit for the first time in a very long time.

No prefecture wants to receive any of the radioactive waste.

900 peta Becquerel of iodine and cesium has been released from Fukushima Daichi, many times more than initially estimated. For comparison the atmospheric release from Chernobyl is estimated at 5,200 pBq, of which 1,845 pBq was in the form of iodine and cesium.

High levels of cesium in wildlife / food ( rice or beef) is popping up all over northern Japan. Phones with radiation detectors are going on sale in Japan.

Silver lining: The cesium released reveals bluefin tuna migration patterns

The long term economic impact is going to be massive.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, if we can spread the word about the cesium-enriched tunas swimming around to the general public around the pacific rim, maybe we won't exterminate these magnificient fish.

...Maybe.

Now, if we can spread the word about the cesium-enriched tunas swimming around to the general public around the pacific rim, maybe we won't exterminate these magnificient fish.

...Maybe.

It would be nice if anti-nuke scaremongering did have a positive benefit for a change... ;)

...Maybe.

Yum, tuna. Mmmmmmm. Yes, save them so I can eat them. :)

Regards,
SB

Back