Each Of 360's CPU cores are 10 times more powerful than Xbox's CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alpha_Spartan said:
I think I'm going to tell my Xbox 360-less freinds. "You know, this console has 3 main processors and each of them is 10 times more powerful than one Xbox processor."

I can see their faces light up: "Damn!"

thats like 30 Xboxes !!!1111!!

Only the fact they use the number 10 means you have to take this with a grain of salt ..why not 7 or 8 times as powerfull or something?

3roxor said:
Only the fact they use the number 10 means you have to take this with a grain of salt ..why not 7 or 8 times as powerfull or something?

We understand what they meant. And what they meant is actually correct.

ok well the original Xbox CPU, the Intel 733 Mhz, was rated at 3 Gflops. but more recently in the Xbox vs Xbox360 comparison, they rated the Intel 733 Mhz CPU at 1.5 GFLOPs.
That's because with the issue rate, you can't actually get 4 FLOPS per cycle in spite of having 128-bit 4-field vector registers. Typically, the peak FLOPS rating for Xbox is said to be 1.466 GFLOPS.

If you're to go by the 115.2 for Xenon, that's 12 FLOPs per cycle per core, which puts one core at 38.4 GFLOPS peak. So if you're just comparing peak numbers, each core is more like 26x the performance. All the same, if you're comparing real world performance, I doubt you'd see a 10x improvement per core or per thread. Whatever else the Celeron in Xbox was, it was also at the time, the culmination of Intel's years of work to squeeze as much single-threaded performance as possible out of x86.

ShootMyMonkey said:
That's because with the issue rate, you can't actually get 4 FLOPS per cycle
Yes you can.
The P3 architecture could issue mul+add every cycle, yielding 2Flops/cycle with no SIMD and 4 with, respectively.

Anyway Sony should do this type of PR too.
Each Cell PPE/SPE unit is 50x more powerfull then the main processor of current PS2. :LOL:

All the same, if you're comparing real world performance, I doubt you'd see a 10x improvement per core or per thread.
Actually I have little doubt that clock for clock, P3 beats PPX core in general purpose performance, so that difference would be less then 4.3x per core.

scooby_dooby said:
Pfff...sony shoots higher than that! Didn't you hear that the PS3 willl be 1% as powerful as the human brain?
http://consolewar.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140936

"n what will likely become one of this generation's hype-fueled catch phrases, Ian Pearson, head of the futurology division at British telecommunications company BT, was quoted as saying the PlayStation 3 has the processing equivalent of "one percent as powerful as a human brain" to Yahoo! UK."

So is that a new division of Sony?

"each 10 times more powerful than the single chip in the current Xbox...says P.J. McNealy, analyst for American Technology Research."

I didn't realize PJ worked for MS. ;)

scooby_dooby said:
"each 10 times more powerful than the single chip in the current Xbox...says P.J. McNealy, analyst for American Technology Research."

I didn't realize PJ worked for MS. ;)

I understand he's Bill Gates' very own personal mime on the weekends, so technically... ;)

liverkick said:
"n what will likely become one of this generation's hype-fueled catch phrases, Ian Pearson, head of the futurology division at British telecommunications company BT, was quoted as saying the PlayStation 3 has the processing equivalent of "one percent as powerful as a human brain" to Yahoo! UK."

So is that a new division of Sony?

nope , just the traditionnal path to cognitive dissonance.selective info + amalgam.truth don't count .just making points on the perceptual field.

:LOL:

"One day in the Futurology Division at British Telecoms"

- Oi guys, wanna see me new invention?
- Wot is it Steve?
- It's this new thing innit, it makes tea better and faster!
- Rarr!! Show us innit! Now we can have a cuppa every 10 minutes!
- Oi did u see the rugby last night, it was hectic innit! Rarr look at Jordan's tits, they keep growing!!
- Naaaaaaa man she's butters!!!

Nooooo it surely cannot be....how could a state-of-the-art 2005-spec 3.2Ghz core realistically be more than 2x as fast as the legendary performance monster, a 733MHz Celeron? This has got to be that disgusting PR hype again!

Please don't use the word "powerful" to describe processors.

Except maybe their power consumption ;)

Anyway, I can think of tasks where one x360 core should be about 10 times as fast as the Celeron, so where's the problem?

Nooooo it surely cannot be....how could a state-of-the-art 2005-spec 3.2Ghz core realistically be more than 2x as fast as the legendary performance monster, a 733MHz Celeron? This has got to be that disgusting PR hype again!

I wasn't aware that "more then 2 times" and 10 times were the same thing..

I agree with most people here, this is just hype and nothing more based on pointless numbers.

I realise he's being sarcastic. However he's acting as if people here are being unreasonable not to believe that each 360 CPU core isn't 10 times faster then XBox's CPU.

That would make the CPU 30 times as fast... Why would people waste their time with X360 when PS3 will be 1000X more powerful than PS2?

/sarcasm

/runs very fast

london-boy said:
:LOL:

"One day in the Futurology Division at British Telecoms"

- Oi guys, wanna see me new invention?
- Wot is it Steve?
- It's this new thing innit, it makes tea better and faster!
- Rarr!! Show us innit! Now we can have a cuppa every 10 minutes!
- Oi did u see the rugby last night! Rarr look at Jordan's tits, they keep growing!!

You forgot to include the phrases "hectik" and "naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa man" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back