E3 Winners, Loosers & Suprises

Ozymandis said:
It isn't luck, it's skill. Wipeout has an added depth because of the variety of weapons you can use. Although for the record I thought Fusion was pretty mediocre, Wipeout XL is to this day my pick for best futuristic racer.

I haven't played much Wipeout, to be honest.... don't know exactly how its weapons system works.

But in Xtreme-G, for example, weapons are pickups, and most of the time it's luck when you hit someone =) or luck that you get a homing rocket, or something... which gets annoying.

Same in Mario Kart 64, though with sufficient driving skill and your own good luck with items... well, let's just say, I've never lost in one-on-one Wario Stadium, except against people who use the uber shortcut ^_^ I can even recover from being zapped at the giant jump!

F-zero is also totally without style, and graphically was an embarassment on the n64 :cry:

Well, duh. But name 2 other N64 games that sustain 60fps at all times, no matter what happens, even when 30 vehicles are right in front of the camera. :)

But how is it without style? The tracks are all extremely well designed, and I still want to know if anyone else thinks F-Zero X might be using some kind of HOS to get the tracks that super rounded...

Saem said:
When I saw that shot of Geist, I thought it was a better looking counter-strike.

Better looking? That shot looks pretty god-awful to me. Anyone has a link to more shots of this game?

Hey did u guys know that Wipeout 64 sold better than any other Wipeouts? Yep even the first PSX game. Anywho..Ozy yes F-Zero GOTS. Good gracious this thing is unstoppable. Trust me when I tell you the 'mainstream' press and mags loved this game. Just wait till the mags voering E3 come out. The lines were huge and it's still obviously uber popular with hardcores and casuals. The Arcade link up is very cool. And the sheer speed and graphics are insane. Nothing on the floor that was playable was as graphically beautiful as F-Zero GX. Speaking of the mags and press MK:DD will probably come away with a few mentions. The pics I saw showed huge lines. And the reports were it was stretching into other booths. As far as fun this thing shows that MK is still kart racing king. MK:DD was really EAD's saving grace at E3.

Geeforcer: here

nintendoconf_051403_084.jpg

:?

Call me insane, but this picture doesn't look too great either. I will install Qtime and take a look at the video. I am missing something here? Should I pay attnetion to a certain part of the image?

DemoCoder said:
Perhaps Viewiful Joe might be ok but can't couldn't they come up with a less gay name?

Actually if you understand the game's concept and its hilarious style, you'll understand what Viewtiful Joe stands for. Taking the name at face value isn't going to magically explain the concept.

Uh huh. Since Viewtiful is not a real adjective or word, I'd like you to explain it then. Oh, I see, a cell shaded platformer crossed with power ranger concepts explains everything...I better call up Merriam Webster immediately and have them add a new definition.

DemoCoder said:
Uh huh. Since Viewtiful is not a real adjective or word, I'd like you to explain it then. Oh, I see, a cell shaded platformer crossed with power ranger concepts explains everything...I better call up Merriam Webster immediately and have them add a new definition.

Dude download a video clip from Capcom's website and you'll be enlightened. Until then, you won't have a clue. Just swallow your pride and download the video clip. ;)

Some people just think they know it all...from art to style to 3d graphics :LOL:

There IS a reason for the unconventional title...

personally,

GOOD STUFF: Half life 2, MGS3, GT4

BAD STUFF: no FF12 no NICO no even-fake-but-at-least-we-see-some-eye-candy-next-generation-demos-of-what-we-can-expect-from-ps3-or-xbox2...

Democoder

Yep you can have any opinion you want. Doesn't mean I can't tell you what an ignorant opinion I think it is.

Note, that's the opinion that someone else is on drugs for thinking that F-Zero GX was GOTS not your opinion on HL2 being game of the show.

I'm not even going to bother discussing F-Zero with you. Its obvious that you've made up your mind on that. Also considering some of the things you've said about the game I'd be wasting my time arguing (your arkonoid comment for instance). You don't like futuristic racers, lets just leave it at that.

Ozy

F-Zero "GoS" at E3 2003? That's an opinion, but I think that's laughable.

Its no more laughable then your opinion that HL2 was GOTS really. I mean we're talking about person opinion here. F-Zero GX looks awesome and plays brilliantly. It surpases anything an F-Zero fan could have hoped for. Considering that surely you can see how any big fan of the series has every reason to make F-Zero GX his/her favourite game of the show?

Geeforcer

Better looking? That shot looks pretty god-awful to me. Anyone has a link to more shots of this game?

Geist isn't a particularly visually pleasing game, although god-awful is a little unfair I think :) I've seen the video's and while it looks a little rough, its still quite nice looking. I don't think any of the pics so far do the game justice, especially the one arhra_ posted. Besides the interesting thing about the game is the idea behind it not the visuals.

hey, I'm a big fan of Nintendo games, but I have to be realistic, I want HL2 a helluva lot more than I want F-Zero GX. I will say this though, I was NEVER a fan of F-Zero, hated the SNES game, Hated the N64 version even more... but I do have some interest in this one, it looks more refined in the gameplay dept.

I do however have a LOT of excitement for RS3, its probally my second most wanted game from the show(mainly because the coop missions really excite me, and I have wanted a game to do the Endor Speeder bike levels right since I was a kid..)

that isnt saying anything against Nintendo, its just, Halflife has been the best purchase for me I have EVER made.. the mods have kept me entertained for about 5 years now, and in that 5 years, I dont think I have gone more than a week without playing a halflife mod of some form or another.

HL2 deserves game of show, I dont know that I could put Fzero above the other great titles such as Halo 2 and MGS3... I want Fzero more than them, but thats just me

Heh, it's hard for me to choose a GOTS. Hell, best booth is also tough..

Lemme just say this: Nintendo booth, Microsoft booth, Capcom and Konami.. and then Doom III and Half-Life 2.

That's my "GOTS". ;)

tagrineth said:
I haven't played much Wipeout, to be honest.... don't know exactly how its weapons system works.

But in Xtreme-G, for example, weapons are pickups, and most of the time it's luck when you hit someone =) or luck that you get a homing rocket, or something... which gets annoying.

Same in Mario Kart 64, though with sufficient driving skill and your own good luck with items... well, let's just say, I've never lost in one-on-one Wario Stadium, except against people who use the uber shortcut ^_^ I can even recover from being zapped at the giant jump!

The weapon system in WipEout is just like in Xtreme-G I guess: pick ups. Weapons are needed though to win a race (WipEout Fusion) most times though because the AI is very challenging. BTW; WipEout Fusion is the fastest thing I've played thus far. It's a shame that when many ships use weapons all at the same times that the framerate drops. At least most of the time framerate is always constant so it's not that bad. I think SCE-Liverpool should re-design the ugly ships if they make another one... some tracks were stunning and the music as always... awesome.

Phil said:
The weapon system in WipEout is just like in Xtreme-G I guess: pick ups. Weapons are needed though to win a race (WipEout Fusion) most times though because the AI is very challenging. BTW; WipEout Fusion is the fastest thing I've played thus far. It's a shame that when many ships use weapons all at the same times that the framerate drops. At least most of the time framerate is always constant so it's not that bad. I think SCE-Liverpool should re-design the ugly ships if they make another one... some tracks were stunning and the music as always... awesome.

That's what I meant... getting the right pickups is just as much luck as it is skill. Same with Mario Kart - yes, a seriously awesome driver can still win even if he/she has poor luck with weapons, but even if you're a god, if you get nailed by the right items at the right times, there's nothing you can do.

Like in MK64, I always thought the most aggravating thing ever was getting hit with a red or spiny shell right before crossing the finish line and losing first place as a result.

That's what I meant... getting the right pickups is just as much luck as it is skill. Same with Mario Kart - yes, a seriously awesome driver can still win even if he/she has poor luck with weapons, but even if you're a god, if you get nailed by the right items at the right times, there's nothing you can do.

Like in MK64, I always thought the most aggravating thing ever was getting hit with a red or spiny shell right before crossing the finish line and losing first place as a result.

Well, that's true in a way - but the added weapons make it way more challenging. Besides, the game is not dependend on weapons, as you can disable them and race it for pure speed and skill. It's very hard though, as the AI is damn good and you need to race near perfect to catch up with them (because you always start from the last position). Besides, the board computer actually warns you if a contender has a lock on you and is ready to fire off - so, with the necessary skill, you can try to counter those attacks. Still though, with the online challenge and for the really skill-orianted players, you can disable weapons.

Besides, disabling weapons has one advantage: no slowdowns at all. IMO, thanks to the very challenging gameplay and zone-mode - it's the best wipeout in the series.

Phil said:
Well, that's true in a way - but the added weapons make it way more challenging. Besides, the game is not dependend on weapons, as you can disable them and race it for pure speed and skill. It's very hard though, as the AI is damn good and you need to race near perfect to catch up with them (because you always start from the last position). Besides, the board computer actually warns you if a contender has a lock on you and is ready to fire off - so, with the necessary skill, you can try to counter those attacks. Still though, with the online challenge and for the really skill-orianted players, you can disable weapons.

Besides, disabling weapons has one advantage: no slowdowns at all. IMO, thanks to the very challenging gameplay and zone-mode - it's the best wipeout in the series.

And once you disable weapons, it basically becomes an F-Zero X clone. =)

F-Zero X doesn't have any slowdowns either.

How many vehicles on the track at a time in WO Fusion?

I've played both.

WipeOut is like SEGA GT

FZero is like Daytona

I have the PowerVR version of WipeOut for the Videologic Apocalypse 3dx for PC. 8)

Back