DX10 Video, HD Video, and 4GB RAM Notebook Purchase Advice

Berek

Regular
As mentioned in the title of this thread I'm looking to purchase a notebook with DX10 video and 4GB of ram, sometime this spring/summer. I will be leaving for China around July so I'd like to get something that will last me for a few years and do everything, especially play the latest games. It'll be all purpose, so a large hard drive and DVD and HD DVD playback will be crucial as well.

I understand DX10 or HD-DVD playback notebooks aren't even out yet. Nor are decently priced 4GB of RAM offerings. I've seen mentioned that DX10, specifically the G83M I believe it was will show up this spring? The G83 I believe is a mid-range offering from Nvidia. I would like the G80M, a full powered notebook offering, but as long as the G83M is significantly better than current offerings (7900gtx or gs...), then I won't complain.

Anyone have information on when these DX10 mobiles will be released and how powerful they will be in comparison to existing notebook video? Also, 2GB seems to be the max for notebooks in most custom setup cases. Is 4GB even worth it with Vista and near future games? I am thinking that it'll be useful in future game and multi-tasking situations, so I'm trying to balance my purchase with convenience, price, and longevity.

HD DVD playback is something I'm hoping to get thrown in right away as well. Although here perhaps an external solution is possible...

My current price range will be somewhere between $1800 - $2600. I'm looking at probably a future Dell offering, although those white styled mini-keyboard layouts for their Inspiron mid-range line are really not very stylish IMO. I've had a Sager before and was relatively pleased with that, except for the terrible fan noise on it... Sager 8890.

Thanks in advance anyone for any foresight.

No solid info on any timelines, just yet...

But for 4 gigs of memory, purchasing direct will easily cause the price to jump to over $3000. I've priced out current Dell laptops and easily surpassed that mark. I have no doubts that newer models will cost even more.

What about "indirect", whatever that might be? :p.

Isn't 4GB going to be needed soon for the latest games? 2GB has been out for awhile now, and while it seems sufficient now I would imagine some more reasonably priced higher offerings this spring/summer, because of Vista and more intense games.

Thanks. If you find any info about any of the points in the future please respond here or let me know through a PM or whatever. I'm eager to get a laptop, but I really hope one with at least the DX10 video will be available by this summer before I leave.

What about "indirect", whatever that might be? :p.
You buy a system with a less memory and do your own upgrading with DDR2 SO-DIMMs from a hardware retailer of your choosing.
Though it begs the question why you insist on 4GB of memory. It is, pardon, a little on the ludicrous side of high end, I'm not even sure they make chips with the densities required to cram so many bits in your usual two SO-DIMM slots.
Whenever you're booting a 32 bit Windows incarnation (to play a game), you can also rest assured that at least one of the four gigs is unused, idle and lost doing nothing at all, due to certain software idiosyncrasies.

IOW 2GB is high-end enough IMO, and far easier to get.

You buy a system with a less memory and do your own upgrading with DDR2 SO-DIMMs from a hardware retailer of your choosing.
Though it begs the question why you insist on 4GB of memory. It is, pardon, a little on the ludicrous side of high end, I'm not even sure they make chips with the densities required to cram so many bits in your usual two SO-DIMM slots.
Whenever you're booting a 32 bit Windows incarnation (to play a game), you can also rest assured that at least one of the four gigs is unused, idle and lost doing nothing at all, due to certain software idiosyncrasies.

IOW 2GB is high-end enough IMO, and far easier to get.
Why isn't a 64-bit Windows an option? And while 4GB might be hard to physically get into a laptop, it's not impossible, and nor is it honestly ludicrous depending on your workload. You'll find plenty of people that'll say 2GB is little more than a realistic comfort zone for a hard-working PC these days, and that 4GB is more than just desirable if it's obtainable.

Why isn't a 64-bit Windows an option? And while 4GB might be hard to physically get into a laptop, it's not impossible, and nor is it honestly ludicrous depending on your workload. You'll find plenty of people that'll say 2GB is little more than a realistic comfort zone for a hard-working PC these days, and that 4GB is more than just desirable if it's obtainable.

Corsair has an answer to those 2GB single SODIMM needs, apparently:
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/pr/PR_2GB_SODIMM.pdf (warning, PDF link).

There's also a new line for Mac's:
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/pr/PR_Mac_Memory.pdf

Sure a 64 bit version is an option, it's just that depending on the games that need to run on the machine, it might be a better idea to run them on a 32 bit version, for performance or other reasons. That needn't and shouldn't be the exclusive system; multiboot would IMO fit the profile of a well-equipped multi-year trek.

I can't say I'm doing work that cries for more than 2GB, I'm not even sure I'm using one gig for "work" myself, but to each their own I guess. I just wanted to point out that there are limitations to what a 32 bit OS can do, which I thought would be relevant here, due to the high-priority put on gaming.

When I buy a laptop I assume it will automatically come with Vista 64 bit. All I know is that 2GB is standard now and I use 2 sometimes for certain games, especially when I have stuff running in the background. If 3 were possible I'd go for that, but notebooks seem limited in the configuration.

I like your idea on buying from another source, the problem with that though... don't they always do dual channel configurations? I'd need them to add a 2gig stick anyway so I can buy another and there is actually room in the notebook for it so I don't waste money on that 2gig. Otherwise somehow get them to not add any memory or an extremely small amount, like 256meg.

That all is unless notebooks include more than 2 slots today... typically they seem to limit it to 2, but if there are more, than that helps to solve my potential concern.

I'm mostly concerned about DX10 video performance above all else. I need that to be the best it can be when I do buy the notebook.

Well, BRiT pretty much said it: it's not likely you're going to stay under $2600 USD for what you're asking. 4GB of RAM and a decent C2D processor to match the video card are not going to be cheap, and keep in mind this is likely going to be a 15-17" laptop.

Why isn't a 64-bit Windows an option?
As zeck said--and according to AT's recent Vista performance tests--if it's gaming you're after, ye be advised to steer clear of 64-bit Windows. Yarrr.

I got nothin' against 4GB, though this sounds like a case where rolling your own is the smartest option. And by rolling I mean buying and installing "aftermarket" RAM. Just get the least amount Dell will sell you, and replace it (resell it or keep it for a pee-cee emergency).

If it's longevity you're after, a 17" laptop might be more desirable if only for a built-in num pad. You could always buy a USB add-on, of course, but that's one more thing to schlep. OTOH, the lower the screen res, the "longer-lasting" the video card will appear to be. :)

I thought HP offered HD-DVD as an (expensive) option, though I don't think you'll be burning any HD-DVDs. I know there's a ~$650(!) desktop BR drive out now, but not if it's available in notebook form. I guess you could slap it in an external casing, or similarly buy the 360's HD-DVD drive if bulk doesn't concern you. That's one piece of PC kit that'll likely drop in price more than anything else in the next year or two, so I'd get a nice DVD writer for now and up-res later.

But, yeah, C2D is where it's at for gaming, and even though you're not apparently too concerned with form-factor, I'd still try to lean toward a true desktop rather than a DTR (which I'm guessing Sager still specializes in). So, go for a mobile C2D, too, not a desktop variant, if only to minimize fan noise.

Alrighty, thank you for the responses. I'll keep the windows version in mind as well. Do you think 64-bit games are of or will be of any benefit in the next few years?

Alrighty, thank you for the responses. I'll keep the windows version in mind as well. Do you think 64-bit games are of or will be of any benefit in the next few years?

Doubtfull you can run 32 bit apps in 64 bit vista, but the reverse is not true. So until 64 bit Vista becomes the norm it's unlikely.

I think a missing comma is what did ERP in... As in:
Doubtful, you can run 32 bit apps in 64 bit vista, but the reverse is not true. So until 64 bit Vista becomes the norm it's unlikely

Makes much more sense now with the comma :)

Missing comma it was.
Damn you puntuation!!!!
Sorry I've been using a Frog pad at home, so sometimes I get weird typos or missing punctuation.

Back