Main Rig Dead, Advice on new one ?

Spoken like a true follower of the teachings of the gaming gods...

edit: just counted my savegames stored in my documents only (not the ones stored in the games folder) equal 2.64gb

Past performance doesn't always predict the future.
While true, but...c'mon! This is Intel we're talking about here. You look up "reliability" in a dictionary, you'll find their logo there. :)

Not saying Sandforce stuff can't be good either, of course. Just that the blue team takes reliablity far more seriously than anyone else in the SSD industry simply because they can afford to. Oh, and they have their reputation to defend too of course.

Being known as the most reliable guy does bring in a lot of business, after all.

Thanks for the input guys. Alright I think I am gonna go with the i7 2600 (I don't think I need the k-version since I'm not going to OC) for now and upgrade to SNB-E when that thing is finally out.

I've look at Fractal Design XL, that thing looks neat and bigger. I'm going to go with it instead of the Define R3.

As for SSD, the Intel 510 Series is like $600 for 250 GB. That's really expensive. So can it can sustain the read and write at once or does performance drop when you read and write on the same drive ? Any good review ? I am still skeptical that I need it, because image and video processing is still mostly CPU bound.

Also the mobo which chipset should I choose ? Z68 or P67 ? What's the difference ?

I am going to drop the GT520 and use the build in GPU on the i7 2600 instead. I think it should be sufficient. Going to place the order early next week.

Sandy Bridge E uses a different slot, so you'll be screwed if you try that...

1. See this... 980X is a waste of space.

2. When AVX support picks up then the 2600K will make the 980X look even more stupid and over rpiced.

3. AMD/Nvidia now offer full GPU accell for certain applications, so multiple GPU's would have some use outside of gaming.

1. Many of those tests show a significant difference in the places that this matters.

2. Has AVX been introduced into these video encoding apps or not? Video encoders tend to get new instruction set support before anything else. If they're already there, then you'd be wrong. If they aren't, then I would be wrong. In other words, there's not enough info on this to judge.

3. Video encoded with GPUs have worse image quality because of the nature of the apps themselves. Hell, most apps when it comes to their Nvidia support are just CUDA frontends to Nvidia's built in video conversion!

If you're gonna go down the encoding on GPU path, you'd be best with a 2600 rather than any AMD/Nvidia GPU. The encoder on there is way better.

The best bet is still CPU encoding, of course.

V3, my advice to you is to wait a few months for Sandy Bridge EP, given you can't upgrade from SB to SB-EP on the same motherboard. They use different sockets. If you absolutely cannot wait, build a cheap 4 core system(A Core i5 2400, 2500 or 2500k would be best here). Phenom II X6s are pretty much way too behind to make a real difference. They have Core 2 Conroe IPC, which is three gens behind(Core 2 Penryn, Core ix Nehalem/Westmere and now Sandy Bridge)...

Back