Dvorak keyboard, anyone use it?

Was gonna attempt Dvorak...but then i gave up. But I do agree that the qwerty keyboard requires a lot of finger movements all over the place...

But the DVORAK keyboard is a creation of the US government :?

Well, I guess its not like the US government is short on instances of cutting off its nose to spite its face :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm still using dvorak, though I'm now actually working fulltime & have to use Qwerty there, which is a pain.
Keep meaning to ask about being allowed to change my keyboard.
Have to alter the 100% compatible bit as there seems to be the side issue of administrative rights on a PC that isn't yours :?

I am about the same speed with both now, which is probably a bit slower than I was on qwerty to begin with as I tend to forget which pattern I'm using mid word a bit...

Still haven't gotten around to remapping ctrl x,c & v to more sensible locations.

So are there really gains in typing then using dvorak? Cause I think I am fast enough at qwerty without making mistakes...but after a certain point I tend to hit backspace a lot....I really would like to be able to break through that barrier, but it seems like too much of a paint to pop out all the keys and swap them around...and then there is the learning curve and in trying to forget the old style of typing...hmm...maybe I should buy a dvorak keyboard when I build my machine and see how it goes from there...give myself a month or 2 of solid dvorak only typing and see if there are any improvements.

I know the world's fastest typist can't even use QWERTY, and only uses Dvorak. She was clocked at something like 210WPM error free, or some equally insane number.

For most people I don't think there would be much if any speed advantage, mostly just a reduced finger movement/RSI risk.

I'm pretty sure I am more or less limited by the speed at which my brain is able to select the correct impulses to send to hit the right key.
(I like to think that I just have lots of pipelines to go with the aparently low clockspeed of my brain :oops:)

Apparently the 2mths of dvorak only is the preferred method of swapping.

Popping the keys out is generally going to be less hassle than finding a dvorak keyboard that you can buy I should think.

My wife uses Dvorak. We bought key labels from somewhere and handled it that way. Show both the Dvorak and QWERTY values.

She loves it, and started using it for carpal tunnel reasons --and finds it helps quite a bit.

you know, i've always wanted to try dvorak, so i'm glad you started this thread, and thanks to the contributors. i never realized M$ (edit: you know sometimes i'm GLAD they're M$. this is a nice feature. tho, knowing linuxheads, they probably have it too, ne?) had it built in as an input method, so i assumed i'd need a hard-wired keyboard, which i'd then be unable to duplicate in any new environment. well, since i don't work in corps anymore, and since it's that easy, i'm going to give it a shot! =) ....now it could just be the emerging shanghai in me, but i could swear the $10 +s/h they ask over at http://hooleon.com seems a little stiff. anyone found them cheaper? i'm too lazy to make them, i think, but they strike me as like, a $2.50 item you drop in a standard letter envelope, to me... ;)

Do it yourself. Just lift all the key covers off the keys and put them back in the right Dvorak places. If you don't break anything, it doesn't cost you any money.

I went out & bought a new el cheapo keyboard to do it on just incase I stuffed it up but I haven't touched the old one since.

DiGuru said:
Do it yourself. Just lift all the key covers off the keys and put them back in the right Dvorak places. If you don't break anything, it doesn't cost you any money.

heh... i'd certainly considered it, but i'm worried my girlfriend will kill me. also, i think i might have a use for qwerty on occasion. or i'm just being paranoid. either way it seems worth $10 to buy stickers, it just doesn't seem like stickers should be worth $10. ^^; china makes you cheap!

i just ordered a matias tactile pro keyboard (hooray for USB compatibility!!!), meaning soon i'll have one spare keyboard. perhap i'll modify that one.

Back