Duel core AMD CPUs don't loose performance in games

RussSchultz said:
dual. D.U.A.L.

DUAL.

You do not want dueling cores. Bad for performance.

I got the joke after looking both words in the dictionary. :LOL:

Fixed header just for Simon :LOL:

Are those dual cores faster for games? Because, if they are not, what use do they have except for servers?

DiGuru said:
Are those dual cores faster for games? Because, if they are not, what use do they have except for servers?

Many things. Everytime you want to do 2 CPU-demanding things at once, u should be able to do it at the same speed as doing them separately. Should.

london-boy said:
DiGuru said:

Many things. Everytime you want to do 2 CPU-demanding things at once, u should be able to do it at the same speed as doing them separately. Should.

Like what? Except for video ripping, I don't think you ever use things that eat all CPU capacity.

DiGuru said:

They'll be helpful for Xbox 360 and PSX3 ports. My most anticipated game right now is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Bethesda has already stated that it's going to be very optimized for SMP due to its cross-platform development.

Personally, I think the dual-core A64s are a little too expensive at the moment (or they would be if they were available ;) ). Luckily you can get a Socket 939 board now for a single-core cheap which will then accept dual-core when they become cheaper earlier next year. I'd imagine more SMP capable games/apps will be available then too - good point about ports from Xbox360/PS3 probably being multi-threaded automatically.

london-boy said:
Everytime you want to do 2 CPU-demanding things at once, u should be able to do it at the same speed as doing them separately. Should.
Well, that assumes you're not memory bandwidth-bound of course. ...Which isn't THAT hard to accomplish really, not in today's PCs anyway with their multi-GHz CPUs and single-digit GB/s memory subsystems.

DiGuru said:
Like what? Except for video ripping, I don't think you ever use things that eat all CPU capacity.
I'd appreciate another CPU when a virus or spyware scan kicks in while I'm fragging, but it's obviously a luxury to non-professionals (much like gaming in general).

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:
Everytime you want to do 2 CPU-demanding things at once, u should be able to do it at the same speed as doing them separately. Should.
Well, that assumes you're not memory bandwidth-bound of course. ...Which isn't THAT hard to accomplish really, not in today's PCs anyway with their multi-GHz CPUs and single-digit GB/s memory subsystems.

The Opteron dual-cores are equally fast or faster than an equvialent 2XX system.

Bandwidth have never been nearly as important for K7/8 as for the P4s. Latency is king and for that the remedy is cache and an IMC.

i can't believe that these new dual chips cost more than xbox360 and perform much much less. even the presler generation looks disappointing...

kopio0 said:
i can't believe that these new dual chips cost more than xbox360 and perform much much less. even the presler generation looks disappointing...

um the dual chips most likely cost around the same as the x360 cpu or less . Remember what we pay is no where near the cost of what it takes to make them

Back