Dual pci express. Only for SLI? Useable by others?

sexualrug

Newcomer
There are rumors going around about an ATI sli-like solution. So, I now wonder:

Is the dual pci-express configuration of the nforce4/new via board only compatible with an nvidia SLI system or can the slot be used for other purposes (such as an ATI solution)?

Thanks in advance.

Given that even NVIDIA SLI solutions are few and far between at the moment, I would say that its probably best to wait to get a bit more understanding on everything just yet!

I just thought that there must have been some information indicating whether the dual PCI express is doing something special or if it is just a pair of slots that can be used for anything.

Guess I was wrong :oops:

sexualrug said:
I just thought that there must have been some information indicating whether the dual PCI express is doing something special or if it is just a pair of slots that can be used for anything.

Guess I was wrong :oops:

I'm not sure on this but i think dual pci e boards are two 8x slots instead of a 16 x slot . Or was it a 16x slot , a 8x slot and a 4 x slot . for sli . instead of 3 4x slots ?

Hmm eh nevermind me hehe

well, whether it is 16x or 8x does not really matter to me as long as I can fit any number of cards into the slots.

Basically, I am contemplating an upgrade and was wondering whether the investment in an SLI board could at some time be used with non-nvidia cards. I would think that would be the case if there wasnt some special limit or some such on the slots in the nvidia boards.

It is fairly clear that SLi is made so that you could stick x2 ATI cards in there later, however the question is whether the ATI solution will work in dual mode in an Nvidia/Via Chipset, or will they have some proprietary thing to make folks buy their chipset? Well we don't know as of yet, and for that you will have to wait a good long while. It seems that Sli boards will be available in about a month and maybe at that time ATI will say whether a SLi board will work with their future solution.

And from what I read I think the speed depends, like it is 16x for one card in slot with card and slower in other slot, or with two it is 2x8x or something like that I beliefve it changes.

Back