DPI madness

epicstruggle said:
So whats the big difference between 2400x600 and 1200x1200? Which will look better?

epic
I should imagine it'd be the 1200x1200. It should think that you'd want the resolution to be as high as possible in both directions.

Simon F said:
I should imagine it'd be the 1200x1200. It should think that you'd want the resolution to be as high as possible in both directions.

They also might be doing something goofy to get the 2400x600 number. You may only be able to get that on special paper or under specific circumstances. The 1200x1200 one sounds like a better way to go. Granted, there are always other considerations to keep in mind too.

Nite_Hawk

Simply put: when the resolution is 600+ dpi, the only possible noticeable difference is in dithering grayscale and the smoothness of the fonts.

I would recommend you get the cheapest Brother, like the DCP-7010D, as they're the best in price/quality at the moment. And the only reason to buy a more expensive one would be if you want to print 10,000+ pages each month. The thing to look at in that case is the cost of a toner cartridge versus the pages it can print. The printing engines are probably the same in any case, with the paper options and toner cartridge being the main differences.

Edit: or the MFC-9180 if you want a fax as well (which you probably do).

Last edited by a moderator:
The seller listing the brother printer claims a faster print speed as well, though I really have no idea how true that is. Something to keep in mind. Really for b/w laser printing DiGuru is correct, for most things 600dpi will probably be enough.

Nite_Hawk

Btw, if you are going to look at other all-in-one's as well, do make sure you get a real paper tray. It's a major hassle if you have to put a few pages in by hand all the time.

Back