Buying a gaming laptop MSI vs Asus GTX1060 vs GTX1070

My PC is almost 8-9 years old now and its time to get a new PC for gaming(Forza I am coming) as well as 3d gfx/video/VR work. I have a family(read a 3 year old daughter) now so I cannot sit at one place and work and have decided to go for a laptop this time, my first ever. I am noob as far as laptops and their problems and brands go.
Add to that the fact that most stuff is priced 1.5X times in India or usually not available at all -_- ! Which means I might have to instead import it from US, which brings a lot of warranty concerns.
Add to that I just quit my VR job, just had to, and am in a hurry to get this laptop so that I can make some good work again quickly and go for another job asap.
So, I am mess right now regarding buying this mythical GTX1070/GTX1060 powered laptop with a screen with good colour reproduction. I will be attaching it to my current DELL monitor at home, so can circumvent the screen problem actually as anyways a 15.6" screen is too tiny for my mutli screen work. Second, I want a good keyboard, as I am the writing-articles-type of a guy.

1) The MSI-GE62VR-6RF-Apache-Pro is available here, priced 1.5x times when compared to US, but I can get by tomorrow. Seems to be a fine enough laptop with a good keyboard. and if I buy in India I get a 2 year warranty.
2) The GTX1070 variant of this same laptop is what I would actually want but isn't available in India and the myriad issues with the 1070 laptops(both MSI and Asus) make me wary of getting them from the US and being stuck in warranties.

Anyone here has any experience with these and similar ASUS laptops? any hiccups with warranties?
Also, if everything else fails, is 1060 worth buying here? I can get that like, instantly, but is the performance difference between 1060 and 1070 worth the trouble I will have to go through in getting a 1070 based laptop and the issues that might ensue due to import+heating issues+warranty? The reports of ASUS ROG with GTX1070 going beyond 90 degrees are everywhere and MSI ones are just breaking down.

I know I sound confused. I am because I need it in a hurry and getting something so "new" in India is always a mess.

I'm no expert here, but you say you need portability but then you say you will be attaching it to your monitor that begs the question do you really need the portability ?
buying a desktop gives you much more bang for the buck as I'm sure your aware couldnt you either buy a desktop and really cheap laptop/netbook or buy a desktop and stream from it to a cheap laptop ?

Agreed.
If the issue is to have something you can easily carry and not a laptop per se, why not look at small and light ITX solutions?
You'll save a ton of money for the same kind of performance, not to mention you're a lot less dependent on per-component failure rates.

I need a laptop so that i can carry my unreal/VR work around to show it when needed.
I am totally a desktop guy, never had a laptop but a desktop wont serve my purpose in the current scenario where i have to stay mobile and keep my work going and showcase wherever required.

If i could, i would definitely spent the money to get a 1080 powered desktop.

Btw, talked to MSI here they say I have to buy it from India if I want warranty and india doesnt get the $1600 1070 variant in the near future. Asus hasn't launched its 1060/1070 RoGs here yet either.
Looks like i am stuck with buying the MSI the 1060VR one, whether i like it or not. Hopefully i will have a new job soon and will be able to upgrade next year maybe.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are Asus and MSI the only brands with higher performance GPUs?
Isn't Gigabyte present in India, for example?

Or a store that sells branded Clevo laptops. That would probably be the most cost-effective solution.

Are Asus and MSI the only brands with higher performance GPUs?
Isn't Gigabyte present in India, for example?

Or a store that sells branded Clevo laptops. That would probably be the most cost-effective solution.
As of now only MSI have brought their newer GPU lineup in. Asus hasn't even announced any plans yet, nor has Gigabyte or ALienware.
BTW,talked to the distributor yesterday even the MSI ones are stuck in customs currently, so it will take a few days anyways.

Also, for the lap[tops that I can get from the US, its a "International Travellers warranty" and not really an international warranty, which means u need t hold the passport of the country u buy from and then if u r visiting another country , you can avail services there as long as u have a visiting visa which is valid at that time. So, basically, I will need to have someone having a US passport buy it, which is doable, but for warranty that guy needs to be visiting here and have a valid visa stay at that time. Too much BS, not doable.
According to the distributor its the same if I get the 1070 variant of MSI from US, which would actually cost the same as the 1060 one here even if I import properly paying all fee.
It sounds pretty wrong to me, but he says thats how it is and he is a very reputable guy so hard to doubt him. If that is true then I am left with no choice but to buy the MSI 1060 variant for now and maybe sell it next year when more of 1070 ones become commonplace.

I need a laptop so that i can carry my unreal/VR work around to show it when needed.
I am totally a desktop guy, never had a laptop but a desktop wont serve my purpose in the current scenario where i have to stay mobile and keep my work going and showcase wherever required.

Btw, talked to MSI here they say I have to buy it from India if I want warranty and india doesnt get the $1600 1070 variant in the near future. Asus hasn't launched its 1060/1070 RoGs here yet either.
Looks like i am stuck with buying the MSI the 1060VR one, whether i like it or not. Hopefully i will have a new job soon and will be able to upgrade next year maybe.

You don't really need a laptop for that.

For my upcoming multi-month trip to Japan, I've built a full on desktop computer that fits in my carry-on backpack. It's heavier than a laptop, certainly, but also performs much better than a laptop with the option to upgrade components when needed. But the point is, that it's easy to take anywhere someone could take a laptop.

The only potential drawback is that it doesn't have a portable display. But displays these days are extremely light and should be easy to take anywhere you want. For my trip, I'm going to stick a 25" monitor (packaging and all) in one of my checked bags. And I'm only doing that because the monitor that I usually use while in Japan is almost 12 years old now and the colors in the display are fading. I'll be leaving this one in Japan when I leave. It'd also be easy enough to use a smaller and even lighter display if the facility you are going to doesn't have a display you could use.

The one I built is using a Siverstone Sugo SG13. I'll be using a GTX 1070. And I'll be sticking in 13 TB worth of storage (3x 4 TB 2.5" HDDs and a 1 TB SSD) for work, family videos, etc. All at a fraction of the price of a laptop containing a GTX 1070.

Regards,
SB

I was considering the MSI GT62VR for awhile. It is supposed to be fairly quiet and cool compared to the other 1060 options. It's a notably thicker machine with more cooling capability. But I recently bought a used ASUS G751JY machine with a 980M instead. It was almost half the price. I have bought quite a few notebooks second hand and you can usually get an amazing deal. I was torn between 15.6 or 17.3", but I've had both and like both. I would really prefer a Sager/Clevo machine because they don't do the silly gamer aesthetics, but whatever.

I would be wary of the thin and light notebooks with beefy GPUs. Hot and loud is what you'll probably get. Try to look at Notebookcheck reviews because those guys know how to quantify everything.

Last edited:
Best Gaming Laptops @ Toms Hardware - 11/25/2016
To start, we requested Pascal-based laptops from all of the usual suspects, and they’ve been flooding into our lab unabated. We also requested gaming laptops based on AMD’s latest GPUs, but unfortunately we've yet to receive any.

So far, we’ve made it through six reviews, and we’ve got another half dozen being tested. Furthermore, we’ve got another handful sitting in our lab waiting to be unboxed, and others on the way, with CES looming.

Don’t worry, we’re going to add more gaming laptops in a hurry, and once we do, we’ll update this page. However, given the time of year, we wanted to start building out this Best Gaming Laptops column. We’re including all of the first six we’ve tested here, and a couple of them stand out in particular.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

Thanx everyone. I bought the MSI GE62VR 6RF Apache Pro and loving it till now.The keyboard is especially awesome. Yes, I couldn't get a 1070 but 1060 is holding up surprising well with all games till now.

Back