Doom 4 languishing in development hell; id internal management a shambles

Todd Hollenshead disembarks from head of id position to 'pursue other personal opportunities', or is perhaps fired by Zenimax. Who knows for certain.

Here's how we know that Doom 4 must be going through terrible times:
E3 came and went, Doom 4 was never mentioned and no one ever cared.

QuakeCon is in the first days of August. If they don't show anything by then, it's even worse.

I want my Doom 4 ! All dark, full of shadows, silhouettes, reacting smoke n fog and dynamic volumetric lights, POM on every surface and realtime GI from my flashlight (The Last of Us has got that running on a damn ps3)! C'mon you freaking buggers at iD, do it and put it out there :mad: !

I don't want to hear no any damn stories of management, I want them hellknight blood on my hands :devilish: !

That's a month old news (and posted about in this thread), but no harm mentioning it again I suppose. :) Would be nice knowing some fallout or any other reactions, who will replace him and so on. id has always been a pretty closed developer, perhaps only those directly involved knows and prefer not to talk out of loyalty or whatever.

QuakeCon 2013 is coming up, we'll see if id decides to address any of these issues.

Zero information or updates on Doom at QuakeCon 2013. Carmack prevented from speaking about it by Zenimax.

Looks like development hell to me.

As far as franchise reboots go I have to admit I liked rtcw (Return to Castle Wolfenstein) a lot more than doom 3. I never played Wolfenstein 2009 though.

Hell Doom 3 has something of a Zelda game, damn space marine that looks scared in cutscenes and never speaks, does nothing except pick up PDAs and Laserdiscs and needs to throw a spinning cube to finish the game.

I liked Doom3 a lot, except it was too creepy for me really so I have only played it all the way through maybe twice in all these years. Even with godmode enabled I get so tense and creeped-out, and I hear cheats were actually taken out of the BFG edition...? Unbelievable!

Anyway, RTCW was one hell of a game. I have always loved it, surely one of id's very best, even though they didn't develop it themselves directly, I believe.

I am excited about the new Wolf b/c of chronicles of riddick and I always liked the Wolf IP. All those games have been at least good. RTCW was better though. Of course I also loved Rage I just got the DLC for that since it was so cheap.

I never tried the 2009 Wolf either. The previews just didn't grab me. The coming new game looks to have some wild ideas and has me curious.

Anyway, RTCW was one hell of a game. I have always loved it, surely one of id's very best, even though they didn't develop it themselves directly, I believe.
Gray Matter (aka Xatrix) plus some significant id assistance. What a classic game.

I never tried the 2009 Wolf either. The previews just didn't grab me.
I played it for a bit, but it felt very consoleitisy. Checkpoint saves, no command console or cheat codes, respawning enemies as soon as you turn your back; shit like that. And it had that irritating default unreal engine look to the lighting, making everything look kinda like plastic. Those were relatively minor niggles though, what made me lose interest was the way you had to pick up money and BUY upgrades...that totally just did not make sense to me.

...What am I here, a secret agent on an important mission, or a fucking tax collector? Sheesh!

Back