Doom 4 languishing in development hell; id internal management a shambles

Rage had some of the best pure shooting mechanics of any FPS I can think of. The game got tedious for me after a while, but at least they have that.

Nobody cares about anything anymore. Satiety is bad for man. War shall straighten this.

You know, there is nothing wrong with being on meds. I have to take antidepressants or I feel really tired and weak all the time. You may need something stronger but I'm sure there are doctors in you area that can help you find what you need.

Rage had some of the best pure shooting mechanics of any FPS I can think of. The game got tedious for me after a while, but at least they have that.

You know, there is nothing wrong with being on meds. I have to take antidepressants or I feel really tired and weak all the time. You may need something stronger but I'm sure there are doctors in you area that can help you find what you need.

I see the limitations in the game and it makes me want more but I enjoy playing it and appreciate what is there.

As to the rest, I feel a St. Augustine vibe.

T[SIZE=-1]O[/SIZE] C[SIZE=-1]ARTHAGE[/SIZE] I came, where there sang all around me in my ears a cauldron of unholy loves. I loved not yet, yet I loved to love, and out of a deep-seated want, I hated myself for wanting not.

RAGE seemed like a cautious experiment on the gameplay front for id. It is rather mundane but cleanly executed. The problem is there are much better games like STALKER or maybe even Fallout 3.

The engine didn't even get to shine because of storage constraints on the platforms. They should not have shipped a hyped technology game with the ridiculously bad indoor texturing RAGE has....

Satiety is bad for man.
There are many things I want. I'm not sure if Doom4 is high on the list though. ;)

It's only ridiculously bad if you walk up close to a wall, turn to face it and stop and study it for an extended period. If you move about the level as you're supposed to, shooting and dodging, the game's nice and pretty, and the unique texturing is a boon to you instead.

It's only ridiculously bad if you walk up close to a wall, turn to face it and stop and study it for an extended period. If you move about the level as you're supposed to, shooting and dodging, the game's nice and pretty, and the unique texturing is a boon to you instead.

It's beautiful outdoors most of the time, aside from how static it is. It looks like a painting sometimes. But the indoor areas vary a lot. Some indoor areas make Doom3 look superior and it shouldn't work like that. The engine failed to go anywhere, and RAGE being a nice demo of how it's loaded with caveats probably helped that along.

Though with how the indoor areas vary, I wonder if the horrid uglies at times were caused by production issues. The game certainly had some drama and delays during development.

AF has to be coded sort of manually and it'll be at a somewhat lower level compared to regular texturing, as far as I remember. But it is possible to use it.

It's tech 6. Carmack has tweeted about it, indirectly confirming this. Using tech 5 and calling it 6 would not make sense, especially as most people, even gamers, wouldn't have a clue what id tech 6 (or 5 for that matter) is anyway.

My guess would be that the initial megatexture setup didn't allow for the kind of lighting and atmospherics that a Doom game would require, so they had to advance their engine considerably. I hope this means they got it right now though.

Also, id hired Crytek's main graphics dude (Tiago Souza?), so that's a potentially exciting development for the Tech 6 engine.

My guess would be that the initial megatexture setup didn't allow for the kind of lighting and atmospherics that a Doom game would require, so they had to advance their engine considerably. I hope this means they got it right now though.
Here's hoping. Tech5 was a mix of spectacular outdoor areas, decent outdoor areas, circa 2004 indoor areas, and texture resolution from the 90s. Will hardware support for PRTs help with his whole megatexturing thing? Or any of the other recent D3D advancements for that matter?

Here's hoping. Tech5 was a mix of spectacular outdoor areas, decent outdoor areas, circa 2004 indoor areas, and texture resolution from the 90s. Will hardware support for PRTs help with his whole megatexturing thing? Or any of the other recent D3D advancements for that matter?

I think the biggest advancement will be dropping PS360 and focusing solely on next-gen and PC. GPUs have advanced a ton since 2006.

Back