DOOM 4 is coming. Repent while you can (also 60Hz)

We are working with the writer for RAGE, I tried to coax info out of him;) but wouldn't work.The only thing he said was that the tech was awesome and they had to change the story so that it could really play on what the tech could do !

I wonder if 60 fps Doom 4 means less dynamic lighting than Doom 3. :|

Hope not but I was hoping for 30fps as target with of course more graphics detail... it would still run at 60fps for us... ;)

We are working with the writer for RAGE, I tried to coax info out of him;) but wouldn't work.The only thing he said was that the tech was awesome and they had to change the story so that it could really play on what the tech could do !

:rolleyes: which one is a driving force, a tech abilities or the storyline. Could actually mean anything worse or good turn. Gamers I know of, thought Doom was ok from the tech point of view but a game experience was lacking.

Doom is Doom. Whether it's a good game or not it just part of the bedrock of gaming. I'll buy it just like I've done with all the rest. What I'd really like is a HD update (eg this gen consoles) to wolfenstein, that rocked!!

Doom3 represents my most scariest experience (the first 3 or 4 hours) in gaming. It didn't help that I lived alone, played it at night with every light in the house off and with surround sound.

That was the same kind of experience I got. I was impressed by the graphics experience. Although compared to the old Doom 1 and Doom 2, Doom 3 felt like an entierely new game.

Sometimes I actually play the old Doom games because it's something very special with these games which Doom 3 lacked.

:rolleyes: which one is a driving force, a tech abilities or the storyline. Could actually mean anything worse or good turn. Gamers I know of, thought Doom was ok from the tech point of view but a game experience was lacking.

The way I know him he won't stop until the story dictates everything !;) he is very clear about that and a very nice guy too. What he was saying was that He rewrote the whole story and premise when he saw what the Tech could do.Its like when u see a really good engine and want to restructure your story so that you can really use the strong points of the engine to drive the story forward. He didn't divulge the tiniest bit of story details so, i can't really tell what exactly it was which wowed him!

4 part interview with JC, Tim and David DeMartini (from EA) where they talk about a lot of topics, including developing a multiplatform game. At the end JC talks a bit about DOOM4:

While Rage is being developed as a 60hz game, with D4 they're aiming for 30fps which allows them to have 3 times the detail you see in Rage.

Interesting. Does this likely mean Rage will be faster paced with Doom 4 being a slower game? I'm mainly interested in Rage, if it's a fast pace game then it could have have some of my attention.

Interesting. Does this likely mean Rage will be faster paced with Doom 4 being a slower game? I'm mainly interested in Rage, if it's a fast pace game then it could have have some of my attention.

I don't think you can infer that. It's mostly a smoothness decision. id have said they went with 60Hz for Rage because the racing aspect really requires a smooth and high framerate while a primarily FPS game doesn't have to (unless it's Quake 3 arena, or Unreal Tournament twitch-gameplay like). Crysis, FarCry, HL2, heck nearly all FPSs aim for 30fps as minimum.

So they had to undershoot with Rage, being careful not to add too many details/special effects so that the framerates is always 60fps or higher. Once you aim for 30fps you can use all that extra processing power to improve the visuals.

Having said all that I suppose, and since I love D3 -- I hope, that DOOM 4 will be slower game. But from what little we know, it's set on Earth so if it's a re-imagining of DOOM II the same way D3 was a re-imagining of DOOM, then it's possible that it will be a lot faster and more dynamic than D3.

Back