Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to why. I'm boycotting them too, for being such a douchebag company abandoning buggy games after making millions off of them, but I'm gonna have to abandon my convictions pretty soon. I feel like I want to buy Wolfenstein, and I definitely want to buy Fallout 4 and DOOM. Damn. Why can't these bastards make it easier to ignore their games?

I think you should make the difference between Bethesda Softworks (BS?), the publisher, and Bethesda Game Studios (BGS?).
I tend to ignore or buy on sales BGS games, like Fallout or Skyrim/Oblivion. There are too many bugs, and I have a love-hate relationship with those games. They're so great in some ways, and so bad in others.

However, Wolfenstein was only published by BGS, and I really liked it, great gameplay & alternate history. You should give it a try.

About DOOM:
* Is it id Tech 6, the one with contributions from John Carmack before he left the company ?
* Is Virtual Geometry in ?
* Is Virtual Texturing still in ?

The game does look nice, especially if they keep the 60fps frame rate, but I'd love to see other environments outside space stations

Do you guys think there will be a demo? I played D3 back in the day, but I don't have the nostalgia that some have for the franchise. I'd like to try before I buy.

Do you guys think there will be a demo? I played D3 back in the day, but I don't have the nostalgia that some have for the franchise. I'd like to try before I buy.

Weren't all ID games after Quake1 more or less just demos for their 3d engines:)

Weren't all ID games after Quake1 more or less just demos for their 3d engines:)
More like they never evolved beyond their Quake 2 storytelling skills. Doom3 is Quake2 with real scares. Rage adds an outside world corridor and super basic NPC interaction.

Quake 1 has no story. It was just a bunch of unrelated wild ideas. The development story is interesting.

Last edited:
I used to play Doom and Quake like crazy, but never realized there was a story in it!

The originals really didn't have any story. Only Quake 2 & Doom 3 had any semblance of a story. I really liked Doom 3. Felt a lot like System Shock 2. Seems like the new Doom is slightly different, but that's OK, I'm still pretty interested.

Tommy McClain

* Is it id Tech 6, the one with contributions from John Carmack before he left the company ?

Lots of his tech must still be in, but the new programmer/s has definitely contributed by now.

* Is Virtual Geometry in ?

Unlikely. Nice polygon counts but not groundbreaking.

* Is Virtual Texturing still in ?

Very hard to tell. Texture detail is definitely not mirrored across even symmetrical characters, but the environments don't have the level of polish seen in Rage.
Could still use something like non-unique VT to speed up things... But we're probably gonna have to wait for official info.

The game does look nice, especially if they keep the 60fps frame rate, but I'd love to see other environments outside space stations

There's a gameplay video from a Hell level as well.

Doom3 is the most blatant copy of the Half Life 1 intro sequence ever. If the innovator of the 3d FPS had to copy their own licensee's 6 year old game direction somebody should have pressed the reset button at ID:) Though I've had already considered Quake2 as a complete soulless game which looked like uninspired grovel ware vs Unreal and HL.

P.S. I really loved Doom1/2/Quake1 and their branched off titles....at their time.

I always thought it was the other way around, HL1 was a more serious SF take on Doom's premise. Obviously not in the Mars setting, and no demons, but still.

I used to play Doom and Quake like crazy, but never realized there was a story in it!
I still dream of a new Doom like the classic. Simple, juvenile fun levels. Find key, send demons to hell, find another key, open door, secrets.. No need of more. One day it will happen, I hope.

Graphics were awesome, gameplay was awesome, it looked very much like classic Doom, and the audience reaction said it all. Welcome to my wish list!
I don't think it will run at 60 fps on consoles with those graphics though. Are there coloured keys like in the original? I don't think I've seen a single key.

I don't think it will run at 60 fps on consoles with those graphics though. Are there coloured keys like in the original? I don't think I've seen a single key.
The textures won't be very high quality, I don't think it will have a problem running at 60fps.

Good eye. They confirmed they are targeting for 1080p and 60 fps on consoles.

http://www.onlysp.com/doom-trailers-and-executive-producer-reconfirm-1080p-60fps-target/

As nice as it looked (and still does) and as awesome as the gameplay looked, I must say that a few of the games shown since have taken the shine of Doom a bit for me - from a graphical point of view at least. I hope Bethesda don't shoot themselves in the foot and aim for that stupid console and PC parity at 1080p/60fps thing like they did with Wolfenstein. It will rattle a lot of cages, especially when facing the likes of Battlefront and Ghost Recon graphics which I'm sure will offer nice upgrades for PC gamers.

EDIT: I've just re-watched the video and I retract what I said above about the graphics, Doom looks friggin awesome! Totally different art style but I'd say on par with SW:BF and GR. Still hope they don't aim for platform parity though.

Actually the characters have extremely nice and detailed textures. I also liked the industrial environments; Hell not so much though.

Since when are textures the things slowing down a game? They'll cut down on shadow quality, lighting and all sorts of effects to get to 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back