Does the inclusion of an bluray drive make PS3 the only next-gen console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

homy

Banned
What does it mean by next-gen?
Next-generation is something newer. It provides experience (in case of consoles) that cannot be felt by previous generation and it should be improved significantly from previous generation.

So how does PS3 become the only next-gen console?

1. It allows you to watch full featured movies in high definition.
Yes, you can watch 1080p movies that was impossible on previous generation.
But do we really need to watch movies in hi-def? The answer is yes because humans by definition want to enhance their life, they want to live better.
Is PS3 the only way to watch movies in hi-def? No, but it is the easiest way to hi-def to an average Joe (gamers not videophiles).

2. It provides almost limitless storage for gaming.
Games will not be cut back or spanned to multiple discs by the storage size. Large storage will provide users a seamless experience. No longer do you have to switch discs in the middle of the game or buy extra contents online that should have been put in the disc in the first place.

3. Noise factor
There are moments, while playing games or watching movies, that you don't want anything to distract you or to crank up the volume in order to balance out the noise. This is where the bluray shine. The transfer-rate of a 2x bluray drive is comparable to a 12x dual-layer DVD drive but the noise of the bluray drive is almost silent whereas the dvd drive is very noisy.

So with all the benefits what are its drawbacks?

1. Price
It is a little bit expensive but it will come down. My first dvd drive cost me $500.
If the adoption rate (talking about millions of users) is high, the price will come down faster.

2. Data transfer-speed
It is comparable to other consoles but the standard hard-drive in the PS3 will make the transfer-speed of the PS3 unrivaled by its competitors.

So is it the right decision to include bluray drive in the PS3?
Definitely, the inclusion of bluray makes the PS3 significantly improved from the PS2 and from its competitors.

Does the bluray drive make the PS3 next gen?
Yes, the benefits of the bluray drive cannot be provided by its competitors.

That's my 2 cents (forgive my grammatical errors).

I don't think I've seen this argument before, it is always kind of sad to see someone so desperately try to make a console stand out.

homy,

I totally agree with you. I think the PS3 is the only clearly next-gen gaming platform. The Cell, Blu-ray drive, and standard HDD make it dominant in my opinion.

Alright, the 360 is next-gen too. But just barely.

I don't think I've seen this argument before, it is always kind of sad to see someone so desperately try to make a console stand out.
Yup, but it's nice to at least see in threads like this how the rep system can actually work pretty well. :yep2:

EDITED BIT BTW- You do all realize that "next gen" is a marketing term and not really a definition in the sense everyone keeps using it in, right? By definition the only true next gen systems are those that are NOT available at present time. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but that always bugs me when I see people arguing over what it is or isn't. It just isn't, alright?

did he lie? so why classify this as a desperate try to make a console stand out? even if he was, does it make it less true what he said?

Excuse me, but i do think bluray does make my ps3 stand out to any other console on the market. If other consoles don't have anything equivalent, its not ps3 fault or the owners.

its simple math to me. In technical aspects, If one console has what another doesn't, it stands out... And i do disagree about the "only next gen console", because it isn't. Its just better equipped.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back