Do you know of any games that could be classed as 'Big Brained Shooters'?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
I'm wanting to find a way to explain my space game by relating to other titles. I've found new users expect a conventional high-speed, many bullets shooter which ionAXXIA isn't. Instead you have a fairly slow, thoughtful 1-v-1 combat that involves a degree of problem solving alongside standard gaming skills, and irregular, non-weapon abilities like tractor beams and rocket shunts coupled with environmental features. The only combat I can relate it to in my limited knowledge is actually Dark Souls, where you need patience and timing and decision making. One user termed it a 'Big Brained Shooter' and I think that's apt and it's what I'm going with in communications.

Does anyone know of any other 'big brained' shooters where decision making is important? Something with lots of weapon variety like R&C doesn't really do anything with the weaponry other than provide different ways to deal damage. Or even if not a shooter, something where the combat is slower, methodical, tactical, the very opposite of a button masher?

I would argue that Returnal is a big brain shooter, if you run and gun you get hammered and eaten alive.

You need to approach it tactfully and plan ahead.

I can't really think of any other modern day games that require this approach.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to find a way to explain my space game by relating to other titles. I've found new users expect a conventional high-speed, many bullets shooter which ionAXXIA isn't. Instead you have a fairly slow, thoughtful 1-v-1 combat that involves a degree of problem solving alongside standard gaming skills, and irregular, non-weapon abilities like tractor beams and rocket shunts coupled with environmental features. The only combat I can relate it to in my limited knowledge is actually Dark Souls, where you need patience and timing and decision making. One user termed it a 'Big Brained Shooter' and I think that's apt and it's what I'm going with in communications.

Does anyone know of any other 'big brained' shooters where decision making is important? Something with lots of weapon variety like R&C doesn't really do anything with the weaponry other than provide different ways to deal damage. Or even if not a shooter, something where the combat is slower, methodical, tactical, the very opposite of a button masher?
Not since the times of star control, cyber wars, etc
What non combat features does your games have? Is there a way to suck people in with a story/adventure? Is there a single player component like the original star control?

If not, I recommend taking on something like Eclipse, a bit of 4X thing, where when you do end up at the end of the round with ships in the same space, you do the combat.

No story mode. Game loop is challenge - unlock, unlocking new equipment and upgrading to enable beating harder challenges, similar to Diablo 3's end game. Really is a 'thinking man's shooter'. The strategy option is a direct crib from Starcon 1 which apparently wasn't very popular, but I loved it so it went in! Spent three months getting nice scenarios for variety in that alone. I'll update the game thread soon with details and the new trailer that I think conveys the difference, but just wanted to reach out for ideas. Kinda feel the Big Brain Shooter, or BBS, is something of a new genre. Though don't want to push that idea too hard if it's not!

It might just be a matter of getting the game out there on something like game pass where people would be willing to try it out etc and offering a variety of modes that may appeal to different players.
So it sounds like you have a diablo style setup.
4X is a popular genre that would fit for your game as well, Civ 5 is like this but, I think Eclipse: Second Dawn would fit your game well

Kill stuff, upgrade the ships etc.
I think being able to control your ships instead of rolling dice is really where your niche is.

Being able to loop back into some very popular board game styles might be able to accrue a large draw with the BBS style gameplay.

Naturally people who like thinking, strategically, will also appreciate thinking during combat.
Expand, Explore, Exploit, Exterminate!

Superhot
Although I'm not sure that requires intelligence so much as mass repetition.

The original Rainbow Six absolutely requires careful planning, as well as patience and skill.

The Myth games require real time tactical planning and management of units. Probably can't call that a "shooter", though.

I've heard Remnant: From the Ashes requires planning and tactics for each encounter, but I've never played it.

It sounds like you want something like Rainbow Six Siege (FPS) or the recently released Riftbreaker (Twin Stick) in terms of having to think about strategies beyond just shoot and kill. Although they aren't 1 v 1 in general.

You could say the same thing about many rogue-lite or rogue-like shooters like the really quite excellant Void Bastards which rewards a slower more thought out approach which includes things like what to upgrade, whether you really want to tackle a given set of enemies at your current equipment level, whether you want to try to stealth most of a wreck or whether you have the ability and resources (ammo) kill as you go. There are other excellant entries in the genre like Ziggurat, Tower of Guns, Enter the Gungeon, etc. But those are generally much faster paced.

Void Bastards might be what you are looking for as it has a sort of "campaign structure" feauturing a map that you must traverse with escalating difficulty requiring choices of upgrades to equipment with limited resources combined with a relatively well defined end goal. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a very well known game which is a shame as it is quite excellant.

Regards,
SB

this kinda makes me remember my game where originally i made that the player must strategize between hiding/evading the enemy's bullets.

But from playtest it was way too difficult, so i made the enemy bullets way slower and can be destroyed with enough damage.

and turns out it made the flow much better and provides a "relief/exhilarating" moment where you got crowded by enemy's bullets, thinking you are doomed... but your shot managed to destroy one of enemy's bullet and you zig zag thru to safety

Sounds like Shifty needs to rename his game Casual Clyde.

_-= Casual Joe =-_

Rainbow Six Siege or Escape From Tarkov.

Back