Do Wii games render in 480P or is it upscaled 480i?

Umm... how do you even tell WTF is the difference between interlaced and progressive scan? I don't own any of the consoles, and I play games on either PC or DS. There's no way for me to test to see the difference.

On dvd it's not all that difficult to tell the difference between i/p, progressive looks way more stable and the motion in camera pans looks smoother, jaggies (for want of a better term) are reduced (especially if there's any objects like a diagonal pipe or something in the shot/pan), interlaced colour also looks kinda washed out when compared to progressive, I'm not sure if it's the same when talking about video games though.

On dvd it's not all that difficult to tell the difference between i/p, progressive looks way more stable and the motion in camera pans looks smoother, jaggies (for want of a better term) are reduced (especially if there's any objects like a diagonal pipe or something in the shot/pan), interlaced colour also looks kinda washed out when compared to progressive, I'm not sure if it's the same when talking about video games though.
It's even worse. Games look ridiculously crap when interlaced at a low res. 1080i is fine but 480i is just :oops:

Umm... how do you even tell WTF is the difference between interlaced and progressive scan? I don't own any of the consoles, and I play games on either PC or DS. There's no way for me to test to see the difference.
Just like the other poster said, it's washed out color, jaggies that are blurry and the motion is weird

I've ran games on both the gamecube and the wii and yes gamecube games improve immensely when ran in 480P and now that I've rented some Wii games that work, they improve too. For some ungodly reason Mario won't switch over to 480P.
Have you tried making sure you set your Wii to 480p in the System Options? I know only very few Wii games which do not have progressive scan (MadWorld), and even then, they can be "forced" to display it at times. But Mario Galaxy is definitely a 480p game.

Have you tried making sure you set your Wii to 480p in the System Options? I know only very few Wii games which do not have progressive scan (MadWorld), and even then, they can be "forced" to display it at times. But Mario Galaxy is definitely a 480p game.
OK this brings me back to the beginning. "Forced" to display 480P is not the same as "rendering" in 480P. It is very different. If you send 480i to a scaler to output 480P the scaler is approximating what it thinks would be in those interlaced images to produce a pro-scan image. Scalers are not perfect I'd much rather have that info there in the first place so the scaler doesn't have to take an educated guess as to what those "other" 480 lines are every other refresh. For me that is what's happening with Mario Galaxy. I'm going to get a newer game to see if a system update will somehow fix this

ps of course I set it to 480P. How stupid would I be to keep going through this thread without actually enabling 480P lol

So you are saying that Mario Galaxy is essentially rendering 640x240? That's rather disgusting if true! I will have to look closer at the game. Usually with 480i stuff on a progressive display, combing slips through occasionally. Halved vertical resolution would be rather apparent too.

Frankly 480p is so ugly already on my 50" that the difference between it and deinterlaced 480i isn't all that dramatic usually. ;)

It depends on how good of a scaler your tv has really. I've got a sony A3000 SXRD which has subpar scaler performance. All the reviews of the TV noted this problem and they said to feed the set 1080i/1080P whenever possible. It doesn't even do that good of a job converting 1080i to 1080P which you would think wouldn't be that hard. So low res's look *especially* shatty on my TV not to mention it's 60". 1080P is glorious no TV I've seen bar the Kuro's looks better but 480i is downright disgusting. Even my kids said "ewww why is it so blurry!" and they hardly ever notice things like this.

So basically I'm trying to salvage any type of pic quality I can get and for the most part the games are running in 480P which really did help alot. I'd post a pic but it probably wouldn't translate as well as you see in real life.

Regarding the 640x240 rendering no, it's still rendering in 640x480 it's just that there is 60 refreshes per second and with interlaced you are only getting every other horizontal line per refresh which is only half of the visual info. You wouldn't think it would make that big a difference but it does.

Example: 5 refreshes

*Interlaced*

640 x 240 upper lines - 640 x 240 lower lines - 640 x 240 upper lines - 640 x 240 lower lines - 640 x 240 upper lines

*Progressive*

640 x 480 full lines - 640 x 480 full lines - 640 x 480 full lines - 640 x 480 full lines - 640 x 480 full lines -

So basically you get the full res but it takes interlaced two refreshes to reach this while progressive gives it all to you at once. You would think that your eyes would adapt and it wouldn't make a difference but it really does, even with my shatty scaler upscaling 480P to 1080P.

Something that occurred to me is that most TVs will tell you what the signal is. I just have to hit the "info" button on the remote. So unless the Wii itself is converting its 480i to 480p, it would be easy to tell I think.

Yeah that's what's weird, the TV says 480P but Galaxy doesn't improve like the other games(for me). That's why I was wondering if the Wii had some type of software scaling going on but that seems unlikely being as the Wii is not very powerful.

Back