DisplayPort

and how would you view those pics ?
would you first set you desktop to 10bpc as opposed to 8bpc

As to why no ones really taking advantage of it, is it worth running games in 10bpc when most of us can only display 8bpc and some of us 6bpc

and how would you view those pics ?
would you first set you desktop to 10bpc as opposed to 8bpc

As to why no ones really taking advantage of it, is it worth running games in 10bpc when most of us can only display 8bpc and some of us 6bpc
The display pipeline can dither it down to 8bpc if necessary. There should be zero reason not to use 10bpc if it's available.

i agree, but the majority of people not being able to display 10bpc, the devs texture and modeling programs not supporting 10bpc formats probably means the devs are happy with 8bpc

At most 30"? I'm quite happy with the dot-pitch of my 24" Dell, same dot pitch at 3800 * 2400 would be what I'd like if I had a monitor with that res.

<whips out measuring tape> Erm, ok so that would be a 1.4m * 88cm screen...

I guess I could live with smaller dot pitch :oops: (& might be able to afford it sometime before retirement)

More ppi is a goodness so far as I'm concerned. My 15.4" ThinkPad (still coming) is 1920x1200.

More ppi is a goodness so far as I'm concerned. My 15.4" ThinkPad (still coming) is 1920x1200.

So essentially the same ppi as the aforementioned 3840x2400 30" LCDs. 3840x2400 @ 24" is too fine a pitch for text though, IMHO.

At the risk of hijacking this 2 year old thread into one about display technology, I've never really understood why more ppi isn't about as much of a "problem" as having too fast a CPU, too much money, or a wife that's too sexy.

To the degree it is a problem, I'd tend to point the finger of shame at the software side of the house for not allowing robust enough scaling options. Or am I missing something obvious?

At the risk of hijacking this 2 year old thread into one about display technology, I've never really understood why more ppi isn't about as much of a "problem" as having too fast a CPU, too much money, or a wife that's too sexy.

To the degree it is a problem, I'd tend to point the finger of shame at the software side of the house for not allowing robust enough scaling options. Or am I missing something obvious?

Because some of us have horrible eyesight due to years of staring at CRTs :p

But in a perfect world, couldn't you have the same size icons and text, but just using more pixels to make them, and thus, presumably, making them of higher quality with less aliasing, better gradients, and all that good stuff?

But in a perfect world, couldn't you have the same size icons and text, but just using more pixels to make them, and thus, presumably, making them of higher quality with less aliasing, better gradients, and all that good stuff?

Ideally, yes. I have yet to see it implemented in such a manner however. I'm still running XP though, so I don't know if Vista handles this any better.

Vista is a little better, but still could be better yet. Without advances in ppi, I'm less sure the software guys will be motivated to address the issue. My sense, without really having had in depth conversation with vendors (so I may possibly be wildly off base here), is there is a sort of assumption of a stagnant paradigm out there. I think it takes the hardware moving forward to break the logjam.

Vista is a little better, but still could be better yet. Without advances in ppi, I'm less sure the software guys will be motivated to address the issue. My sense, without really having had in depth conversation with vendors (so I may possibly be wildly off base here), is there is a sort of assumption of a stagnant paradigm out there. I think it takes the hardware moving forward to break the logjam.

Then it's a classic chicken and egg scenario that probably won't be resolved overnight. I'd imagine over the next 5 years or so the industry will just naturally progress to that point.

Acutually Microsoft has already taken care of this with Windows Presentation Framework / XAML (part of .NET 3.0). With WPF UIs are no longer pixel-based but vector-based (think Flash) and thus can be scaled to fit ppi. Take a look at the new Microsoft Expression applications, which were built with .NET 3.0. There is a dialog that allows you to scale the ui to your likings. I expect that Windows 7 will have more applications and maybe even the desktop based on this technology.

Back