Display problem in safe mode

Reverend

Banned
Using WinXp, when I boot up in safe mode, the display is seems to have some major distortion, to the point where nothing is legible. Any ideas what can be done? Thanks.

Thanks for the interest.

Things work fine outside safe mode but I need to run in safe mode for an application of mine.

As for the description, it's hard to describe in words so I'll provide a link to a very short video showing the problem. I can't provide the link right now because the Net is very slow where I am (Malaysia) at the moment due to the Taiwan earthquake a few days ago.

It looks like its a monitor problem. Usually when the graphics card is having trouble, the pattern on the screen is static (i.e. not moving). When it scrolls like that its because the monitor can't sync. Have you tried a different monitor?

Does it exist on a different system?
Plug the card into another machine if possible and try safemode.

I think the video card runs in basic VGA mode because the drivers aren't active, while you have an application that forcefully switches to a higher (unsupported) resolution. In that case, the app simply doesn't run in safe mode on your rig. Although I have no idea how you could fix it.

why you need to run in safe mode?!
maybe running in normal mode, but setting "compatibility mode" for this particular application?

Thanks for the interest.

Does it exist on a different system?
Plug the card into another machine if possible and try safemode.
I'll try that later but I doubt it's ther video card's fault (which is what you're implying).

why you need to run in safe mode?!
maybe running in normal mode, but setting "compatibility mode" for this particular application?
That would be besides the point (when it comes to my app). The problem is that I have this problem when I try to boot into safe mode.

it looks very much like a sync issue to me. i'd try changing your video settings in windows to match what safe mode does (is it still 640*480, 256 colors?). also, i'd try swapping out the video card to see if the problem still exists. are you using any programs that force refresh rates at certain resolutions?

Back