Display Panel Production Questions

iwod

Newcomer
I know the a large panel is cut into smaller ones to have different screen size. But all these will have the same pixel density ( PPI ).

I am wondering is it hard for plant to change its production pixel density within small limit. i.e If the Plant was production Panel with Pixel Density of 200 per inch, how hard would it be to produce something at 210?

You would have to manufacture a panel to a specific screen size and resolution, since pixel elements are etched directly into the glass, with space left on the sides for contact terminals and things like that. Just cutting the panel down after manufacture would sever those connections.

I wonder if they could make say 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 on the same line, with one kind just 120 pixel taller than the other one, with very quick retooling/reconfiguration of the assembly line (stuff is rotated in and out by robots)

Also what I care about is 120Hz, even or especially non TN and non 3D (stereoscopy) compatible. Can they just make everything 120Hz ready barring some slight electronics and interface detail, i.e. for 1920 wide displays you can have the true 120Hz run that will go in monitors with dual link dvi and displayport, or the crippled to 60Hz run that's 95% the same thing but will just get into a monitor with vga and single link DVI only. Ditto 2560 wide displays which ought to be able to do 120Hz with displayport 1.2 at least.

Well, I read that you can run some IPS panels at 72Hz by tweaking the output signal parameters, real 72Hz without dropped images or stutter or anything, so that might do it if I get such a monitor in the future.

I thought the problem with 120Hz is not the electronics (DVI vs dual link DVI should have the same cost to deal with in silicon), but the speed at which you can rotate the LCD crystals. One way or the other, the crystal for IPS are slower. If 120Hz IPS while retaining quality were possible, I think somebody would already have done it?

3D TVs already do 120Hz, and the better models use VA panels, which is as slow or slower than IPS. Anyhow, the higher you drive refresh rate, the less a pixel is likely to change between frames, so I don't believe pixel update speed has to decrease linearly with refresh rate...

Also, my Samsung 2560 PLS panel monitor doesn't want to go even to 70FPS (edit: even 65Hz actually) without dropping frames. I has a sad! :( Maybe it can be coaxed to do it by tweaking the video parameters (which I don't know how to do and might be dangerous, I dunno), but just using the nvidia control panel and designing a custom resolution with a higher vertical refresh doesn't work.

Not sure what version of displayport the monitor has though; it's almost 2 years old, but surely it should offer more b/w than crappy ole dual-link DVI...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back