Direct X 9.0c Feb 2006 Out

Cowboy X

Newcomer
This is an SDK update - it's for programmers, not for end-users. Ignore it :D

Okay, as has been discussed at length here, you may well want updated components (although, to my knowledge D3DX hasn't changed) if you start running apps/games built with this SDK - but that should be the developers responsibility, not yours.

There are some pretty cool D3D10 videos included in the SDK, if you don't mind a 300mb+ download for those.

David Weller (the DX Community Manager) mentioned that the Developer Center should be updated soon - so the full release notes and other details will be here sometime today (at a guess). The MSDN downloads are managed by a different part of MS, and he takes care of the actual developer center - so the files usually get broadcasted before the site gets updated...

Jack

Indeed. It sure doubled me! There's now two of me. I can see a problem arising if they make even more updates, though...

Indeed. It sure doubled me! There's now two of me. I can see a problem arising if they make even more updates, though...

JHoxley said:

Okay, as has been discussed at length here, you may well want updated components (although, to my knowledge D3DX hasn't changed) if you start running apps/games built with this SDK - but that should be the developers responsibility, not yours.

There is a new version (29) of D3DX in this release. The Web Installer contains it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Demirug said:
There is a new release of the D3DX_24.DLL too. Maybe there was a bug there. It is the first time the change an old D3DX DLL.

Sniff sniff... I smell trouble!

(quickly running back to my cave)

JHoxley said:
There are some pretty cool D3D10 videos included in the SDK, if you don't mind a 300mb+ download for those.

I thought they were pretty lame (i.e. stuff that is now possible to do differently / with less CPU involvement, but by far nothing that hasn't been seen before).

JHoxley said:

There are some changes to the UVAtlas routines but that is all.

Seth.

I don't like all these DX updates. I tried installing BF2 last week but it uninstalled itself when I cancelled the installation of an older version of DX that it wanted. That pissed me off.

I thought they were pretty lame
Are you a programmer though? Y'see, I look at the sparse morph targets with the docs in mind - and then I go wow. For average end-users I can imagine they're not that impressive - but they're aimed at developers who should appreciate the cool "behind the scenes" technology ;)

ANova said:
I don't like all these DX updates. I tried installing BF2 last week but it uninstalled itself when I cancelled the installation of an older version of DX that it wanted. That pissed me off.
Lame user stupidity combined with bad BF2 installer. The DX installer is designed so it will only update old and out-dated files. If everything is-up-to-date then it won't change anything.

Jack

ANova said:
Same crap happened when the Empire At War Demo wanted me to install the Aug 2005 version over the Dec 2005 one and refused to work when I didn't .

JHoxley said:
Lame user stupidity combined with bad BF2 installer. The DX installer is designed so it will only update old and out-dated files. If everything is-up-to-date then it won't change anything.

Jack
Past games detected which version of DX you had installed and only brought up the DX installer if it was a newer version. They should at least allow for cancellations without the damn program uninstalling. Also, what exactly is it doing if it's not installing anything, because the hard drive accesses for a good 20 seconds while it claims it's "updating."

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
Also, what exactly is it doing if it's not installing anything, because the hard drive accesses for a good 20 seconds while it claims it's "updating."

Agressive file scanning + checking version details.

Back