February 2007 DirectX SDK is available

Not yet but the December release works fine for me. Therefore I don’t expect that this have changed.

Does this release contain the Vista Direct3D9Ex headers or is the Windows SDK still needed?

[Edit]

*sigh* Appears not... but at least it does contain the Documentation of the Interfaces now

What is new for the end-user :?: I can't seem to find documentation on the site. :oops:

The DXSDK isn't intended for end-users. It contains developer tools, programming documentation, and utility libraries. In particular, it does not contain a new version of the DX runtimes.

Right... but I'm talking about the end-user package...

Right... but I'm talking about the end-user package...
I've not checked out the full details myself, but the end-user package will contain updated binaries for any of the optional components tied to the Feb'07 SDK release. Most notably this has been the updated D3DX DLL's (d3dx9_xx.dll) but can also include XInput/XACT components as well.

The February end-user package will only be required if you want to run software built with the February SDK, it's unlikely to offer anything for existing applications - although I'm not entirely sure if there are any rules against them shipping updates to older components via this mechanism...

hth
Jack

I'm not entirely sure if there are any rules against them shipping updates to older components via this mechanism...
There aren't, so they can ship updates to the core DirectX components via these redists as you suspect. I think it's usually made clear when that's the case, though.

There aren't, so they can ship updates to the core DirectX components via these redists as you suspect. I think it's usually made clear when that's the case, though.
Ok, thats pretty much what I thought.

The bit that threw me is that the move to dynamically linked D3DX was to allow for updates and fixes via Windows Update; but they won't distribute new D3DX DLL's via this mechanism. Which, if read one way, could mean that the bimonthly end user redist's are for NEW components whereas fixes to OLD components would be via auto-update.

Cheers,
Jack

Back