Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

DF only confirmed that the double rate was not implemented. Didn't get an answer about just fp16, though I wouldn't get your hopes up on there.

DF only confirmed that the double rate was not implemented. Didn't get an answer about just fp16, though I wouldn't get your hopes up on there.
I stand corrected, if it's indeed MS that said it's not there and not just their assumption because it wasn't mentioned?

I stand corrected, if it's indeed MS that said it's not there and not just their assumption because it wasn't mentioned?
As we understand the dialogue from DF, this statement is accurate; unless, DF is wrong about it, I have a feeling that they aren't since they've explicitly wrote about it in this way.

RPM = vega
fp16 = polaris, so i wouldn't be surprised that it does support it.
still useful for things like registry pressure.
this is why i refer to it as rpm unless specifically talking about fp16, as it seems there's general confusion about the 2. (all this isn't talking about you, just in general)

would be interesting if the actual base ip isn't polaris though, as it still seemed a bit woolly to me.

As we understand the dialogue from DF, this statement is accurate; unless, DF is wrong about it, I have a feeling that they aren't since they've explicitly wrote about it in this way.
pretty sure its clear cut, would need to reread article, but ms would've sent in a clarification if it wasn't the case.
what did they clarify again?

The way Goosen described it did not sound like they started with Polaris as a base at all. They certainly grabbed some things that were introduced alongside Polaris on PC, but the features mentioned are somewhat superficial to the featureset of the CUs.

pretty sure its clear cut, would need to reread article, but ms would've sent in a clarification if it wasn't the case.
what did they clarify again?
MS didn't. So as you write, they should have sent a clarification if that wasn't the case.

The way Goosen described it did not sound like they started with Polaris as a base at all. They certainly grabbed some things that were introduced alongside Polaris on PC.
I have a feeling they were only interested in grabbing any perf/watt improvements (all the way up to vega)

I have a feeling they were only interested in grabbing any perf/watt improvements (all the way up to vega)
But then again, I'm quite sure Vegas power efficiency over Polaris & older come from pretty much all the GPU IP, including the NCUs, and not so much from the other stuff like UVD, VCE etc
So in sense of power efficiency, they surely should have gone "all vega"

yea, i don't think they said polaris was the base, think they just said they analyzed the x1 and smoothed out bottlenecks, also with bits from polaris and vega. which could literally mean anything apart from rpm.
only thing i remember specifically being mentioned was DCC.

so yea, don't hold breath for any specific bits.

yea, i don't think they said polaris was the base, think they just said they analyzed the x1 and smoothed out bottlenecks, also with bits from polaris and vega. which could literally mean anything apart from rpm.
only thing i remember specifically being mentioned was DCC.

so yea, don't hold breath for any specific bits.

The spec sheet published on Gamasutra includes specifications on Scorpio retail, dev kit version, XBO s and original XBO. The Scorpio gpus are listed as a custom gpus with Polaris features.

Which makes a lot of sense since a lot of what MS asserted in terms of changes arch wise with Scorpio lie in parallel with changes AMD made to Polaris.

Even AMD markets Polaris as designed for 14 nm Finfet. Improved and redesigned command processor, geometry engines and CU. They also doubled the L2 while reducing hits to the L2 by allowing the hardware like the geometry engine to cache the data itself. They tweaked a number of different queues and buffers throughout the design. And the use of DCC with other memory tweaks allowed the reduction of RBEs.

AMD did all this work in conjunction with 14nm fin felt to improve the efficiency and performance of its GPU hardware, so I'm a little hard pressed to believe that MS felt the need to recreate the wheel.

Last edited:
the gamesutra article is what made it wooly for me, as it describes it as having polaris features. That could mean it's based on it, or added some polaris features to x1 ip.

the uvd seems to be either a tweaked polaris, but probably from vega. Don't believe the 400 polaris cards have 4k60 encoding, don't know about the 500's.

I'm not even holding breath for the hardware assisted checker boarding to be anything special.

said in the past they should let a studio come out and talk about it, maybe the shadow of war game as that's already announced as "Scorpio enhanced".
they could talk about their experience, and what features they are making use of.
Would be a nice next step on their road to e3 reveal.
or time for controlled leak of the dev doc presentation

Hi there. Could this be possible in Scorpio to achieve 60fps even with native 4K?

x1 can't do native 4k frame buffer
x1s can do native 4k60 frame buffer but i don't expect any studio to do so.

4pro can do native 4k60 and so can Scorpio, so it really depends what you mean.
you need to add context, otherwise simple answer is of cause it can, why wouldn't it be able to?

you need to add context, otherwise simple answer is of cause it can, why wouldn't it be able to?
I think people are looking for a generic answer; some people think it works like cars or something, where the stats of the car will tell you indefinitely if it's capable of something. What most people fail to understand is that if the developers want 4K60, they can design a game to make sure it runs at exactly that.

Halo 5 could be 4k60. F7 could be 4k60. There are different methods for the developers to alleviate the CPU (at the cost of others). So it really comes down to that.

But people want this simplistic answer, where none such answer exists unless you were directly involved with the development of the game.

The fact that PC version is arriving after consoles for Destiny 2 is already suspect.

I mean, imagine that RDR 2 is 1080p or 900p 30 fps in X1/s. So, could be this technique a posibility to achieve 4K "60fps" in a Multi like that in Scorpio?

I know that Halo 5 or the future Forza 7 could be a true posibility at 4k 60fps ( DF article), but they run at 60 fps even in X1/s. With videogames at 30 fps, i think it could be maybe a serious problem even at native 1080p for de Scorpio's Cpu (pass from 30 to 60 fps, tipycal problem of cpu-bound in this gen that we can see even on Ps4 Pro with FFXV for example ). That's why i'm asking about that video info...

Thanks

Last edited:
Back