Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

Original PS4 has 256MB for the same effect, which is a small cache for app swapping (not for actively running apps in the background as you and other have suggested), and it's a measly single DDR3 chip using a 16bit bus, so 3.2GB/s maximum, connected through the southbridge.

No. It's right in the text! That 256 MB was *not* being used for that purpose in PS4.

"On a standard model, if you're switching between an application, such as Netflix, and a game, Netflix is still in system memory even when you're playing the game. We use that architecture because it allows for a very quick swap between applications. Nothing needs to be loaded, it's already in memory."

Some might say it's an extravagant use of the PS4's fast GDDR5 memory, so the extra DDR3 memory in the Pro is used to store non-critical apps, opening up more RAM for game developers.

The 256MB in the PS4 is only there to support the secondary SoC because it has to have SOME memory to operate (it runs it's own instance of FreeBSD and has to be able to run with the rest of the system shut down). Since the bus already existed and the PS4's main SoC could access it through the secondary SoC they used that existing bus as a cheap way to add additional memory to the system. They did this because 8GB was not enough. If 8GB is not enough, then it doesn't really matter if you need 8.5 GB or 11.9 GB of capacity, you still need to find a way to add more and in the case of XBOne -> Scorpio this required them to add some kind of bus. They chose to kill two birds with one stone and address capacity and bandwidth with the same solution. Since the capacity is there, I'm quite certain developers will find some way to use it.

Yet you didn't know the additional RAM chip already existed in the original PS4, nor what it was meant for.

I did, actually, on both counts and now you do too, hopefully.

Lol yes, you should send an e-mail to nvidia saying their GTX 1070 "makes no sense" and they should've created the GP104 with a 384bit bus instead.
They'll learn a lot from your wisdom.

Didn't say that. I said creating a memory controller that supported GDDR5X just to have a differentiator didn't make sense. There are easier and cheaper ways to gimp your lesser SKUs, the most obvious one being to just use slower memory. I think you've got the tail wagging the dog here. Decision was made to use GDDR5X for 1080 because that was the best choice for that product. 1070 could have 6GB of GDDR5X on a narrower bus or 8GB of slower GDDR5X on a 256-bit bus, which kind of defeats the purpose of using GDD5X, so to get 8GB of capacity but at a lower memory spec 8GB of GDDR5 makes the most sense and allows you to use the same board for both.

Apparently there are no vents on top. Air is to be pushed out the back.

I don't get this. Nor on PS4/Pro, where the top does get warm. Let that warm air escape.

Better for entertainment centers?
I don't stack but know some that do, however generally you have feet to create a gap for at least some airflow. My background is engineering and we would would maximise cooling beyond what is required wherever possible. I.e. don't make a cooling solution that requires top vents but design a cooling solution that benefits from top vents if nothing is stacked directly on top.

There's nothing wrong with this design but as an engineer it was something I was taught. They should engineer consoles like we engineered ordnance. For maximum aerodynamic stability and lethality. :runaway:

DF said:
Here on this page, we'll give details on Project Scorpio specs, VR, games, backwards compatibility, peripherals, and what we know about a price and release date.

PRICE AND RELEASE DATE YOU SAY?

Microsoft has yet to discuss price or cost of Project Scorpio, but as part of its spec analysis of the system, Digital Foundry predicted a $100 difference between that and the PS4 Pro, which is set to retail for £350 for a 1TB model.

To quote Rich Leadbetter's thoughts on Scorpio's hardware one last time: "if I had to guess - and I'll stress that this isn't based on anything I might have heard on my visit - Project Scorpio is going to cost in the region of $499."

Just estimates but likely good ones.

I don't stack but know some that do, however generally you have feet to create a gap for at least some airflow. My background is engineering and we would would maximise cooling beyond what is required wherever possible. I.e. don't make a cooling solution that requires top vents but design a cooling solution that benefits from top vents if nothing is stacked directly on top.

There's nothing wrong with this design but as an engineer it was something I was taught. They should engineer consoles like we engineered ordnance. For maximum aerodynamic stability and lethality. :runaway:
It's easy to drop something inside the system with holes on top. Especially liquids.
PS4 holes are hidden on sides.

Who has liquids near their console? :runaway: Are you worried your liquid-cooled TV will leak?
https://www.google.com/search?q=xbox+one+water

I was really worried about my Xbox One and my older cousin was over. It basically was making some loud buzzing noises and felt VERY hot to the touch. My cousin has this really weird computer sitting in a fish tank full of cooling water that makes it run really nice. And he told me that Milk can do the same thing so we tried pouring a little milk on it to cool it down a little. But then it stopped working completely and the tv feed is all messed up and weird. I don't know if the milk somehow messed it up further instead of cooling it or we waited too long to do it. My cousin thinks we should of done it sooner but has left since then so I was trying to figure out what do from here. I looked up online and found out if u put rice on devices, it can help just in case their is some water damage. So I poured some rice on the xbox in the section where the cracks are. But I think it got into the part with the fan and now there is this weird grinding noise. Its really violent sounding and Im so scared to turn it on.

DId I mess up pouring the rice in there? Does that only work for water and not milk? Please help me guys! Its my brother's Xbox One and he is gonna be home tomorrow (he is spending the night at his boyfriend's place) and he is gonna kill me if I messed up his system. I keep looking up how to fix potential rice damage to xboxes and I cant find anything!

I was Just drinking some milk and I accidentally spilt it on my pc. So then I cleaned the mess and set the cup on my Xbox (Dumb yes I know!). I then kicked the cup on accident and it spielt inside the xbox where the fan is. I was playing a game and my Xbox shut off. I tryed to turn it on and it turned on and made a really load sizzle noise and shut off. So I unpluged the cords and I picked up my console and all the milk came out the side. I tryed to blow it out but it didn't seem to work so I left it on its side on a rag for about 30 minutes and tryed again. It would tutn on and would shut right back off like there was liquid touching the 2 prongs on the p ower button because it made the sound like someone pressing it. I got it to boot to the dashboard one then it wouldn't work again then after a few more trys it turned on and has stayed on for about 4 hours. I am Amazed of what Microsoft has done to the new Gen. I am so happy that it didn't't break!

Did you know why SNES was ugly and had a round bump on cartridge slot in US?
People were using NES as a place for cups.

Last edited:

Yeah I was just thinking a lot of entertainment centers have shelves that tend be enclosed on top/sides...but sometimes the back has opening or can be opened.

Not having a vent right above the fan helps a lot to muffle the motor noise. By far the biggest flow restrictor is the heatsink anyway, so it's not like routing through a top/bottom cavity is adding much restriction.

Also, that cold air path is usually designed to go through the more sensitive components, so expect the inlet to be at the very least in front on the side where they put the HDD. Which also happen to be as far as possible from the outlet, preventing hot air reentering the inlet.

Last edited:
Back