Diablo III - It's official

Yeah, there will be new Nvidia cards out by then (most likely supporting DX 10.1) - but what about the older cards still in circulation? I guess they will just have to stick with DX9.

I think that if Blizzard really is thinking of skipping D3D10 then nVidia will flood them with money and/or do what ATI did for Splinter Cell, or the Chuck patch and hack it in.

It didn't have to get to this though.

the article is quite unsubstantiated, it says there's DX 10.1 support but their conclusion than DX10 is left out seems made up (nvidia "might" be worse).
and, there's no mention of directX on the FAQ they link to.

on top of that the DX10 renderer won't necessarily look different (we'll never get again something dramatic like SM 2.0 vs 1.1), content will be the same and may be tuned to the lighting and effects of the DX9 renderer. if anything the DX10 renderer might merely help performance from lower overhead when dealing with swarms of monsters.

So, I think I'll play some D2 on USWest this weekend. Anyone else up for a go? Never played on anything but USE, but now I live on the west coast, shock! (my useast account with 7 90+s and pretty much the best 1.09 items is long gone anyway)

The last time Diablo was on a console, it was a disaster. (PS Diablo, anyone?)

Wii is actually a more likely candidate given the pointer interface.

I don't think I'd call it a disaster... but it was far from optimal.

it did have one big advantage the PC version didn't: A run function. D1 needed one so, so badly...

guys there's no way blizzard 'left out' DX10.0. The differences between DX10 and DX10.1 are tiny, the code paths would be so similar that supporting both DX10 and DX10.1 would be a trivial affair. Wily ferret has no idea what he's talking about.

As a dedicated FPS player this thread finally persuaded me to try one of these RPG dungeon and dragon type games and I bought the Titan Quest as mentioned above.

I played it last night and it is quiet good, I am not sure how much it conforms to the genre as it is mainly slashing and the interface with the character is quite simple (certainly compared to Hack and NetHack which is the only other type I have played for any time). It's quite good fun though.

Is it? I think that by todays standards, Titan Quest is probably slightly better. Different mood, sure, but more up to date than D2.

There is a petition going around the net about the new art direction of Diablo III.
http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html

Although I don't agree that it is such a big problem I also liked the old Diablo style better. Anyway it is a matter of taste. I think I will try to play the game after messing with the color profiles of my display to cool the colors a bit. Here is one of the examples they give. I hope I can put this picture up. If not the link is below.

my.php

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=makeluvnotwarcraftzs3.jpg

That petition makes me want to club someone like a baby seal. Gamers are such bipolar assholes. Give 'em a game like Doom 3 and they bitch about how bland it is, all greys and browns. Give them a Diablo 3 trailer with a little color and they demand their 'gothic' browns and greys back. I hope Blizzard ignores crap like this.

That petition makes me want to club someone like a baby seal. Gamers are such bipolar assholes. Give 'em a game like Doom 3 and they bitch about how bland it is, all greys and browns. Give them a Diablo 3 trailer with a little color and they demand their 'gothic' browns and greys back. I hope Blizzard ignores crap like this.

Agreed. I find the rampant online petitioning somewhat annoying. In my mind petitions should be reserved to things that are actually important. Early screen shots of games that won't be released for over a year and a half do not count as something important.

Let's start a petition to stop idiots from petitioning the colour choices in video games.

I do think it is slipping into WoW like territory with some of its looks. As someone who doesn't play that game and doesn't like how it looks, I do agree with the bitching a little bit. Diablo and Warcraft were always quite separate in their look. Smiling lion statues, car-sized pauldrons and happy polygon candles were never really in Diablo's portfolio. Some of it would work well as a Harry Potter cartoon. ;)

Really now. Look at this. I just don't really think this oozes Diablo feel all that much.
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss9-hires.jpg

personally I just love all the crying, I enjoy swimming in rivers of tears. It looks great imo.

It does look great, but it's too cartoony for Diablo franchise. The problem is that most people present it is "too colorful!". That's not the case - the problems are hand drawn, toon textures and toon characters which move in an exaggerated way. Making stuff darker will just make these things less visible. But it's not fixing the original issue. Is this really an issue? For me it is. I can't stand WoW art style and currently D3 looks more like WoW than Diablo 1 or 2.

It kinda reminds me of Overlord. Unless they are going for the same satirical evil approach, that's not really a good thing.

I'd prefer a darker tone, with more sinister looking monsters and such, but I don't think cartoony looks in a video game are worth the e-outrage.

I'll add that I do actually think it looks very nice, but the tone is wrong for the franchise.

I just really hate the mainstreaming trend I'm seeing in a lot of new games these days. Mass effect, oblivion, and now D3 have all thrown out their roots and gone in a mainstream direction. The fact that PC gaming is pretty much dead also doesn't help things. Tons of games are getting dumbed down purely because of the consoles now.

Back