Diablo III - It's official

Diablo III has thrown out its roots because they updated the palette of a 10 year old game?

Keith Lee said:
One of the things that we considered when we were working on the visuals for ‘Diablo III’ is the fact that color is your friend. We feel that color actually helps to create a lot of highlights in the game so that there is contrast. A great analogy is like in ‘Lord of the Rings’ — not everything is dark. It allows you to see what a creepy dungeon can be like but if everything is dark it doesn’t allow you to have a lot of contrast.

Keith Lee is the Diablo 3 lead producer.

I just really hate the mainstreaming trend I'm seeing in a lot of new games these days. Mass effect, oblivion, and now D3 have all thrown out their roots and gone in a mainstream direction. The fact that PC gaming is pretty much dead also doesn't help things. Tons of games are getting dumbed down purely because of the consoles now.
D2 is the simplest game one could imagine, together with a random-number generator for drops and stupid enemy names. How could you possibly dumb that down :rolleyes:? Even more stupid enemy names?

That petition makes me want to club someone like a baby seal. Gamers are such bipolar assholes. Give 'em a game like Doom 3 and they bitch about how bland it is, all greys and browns. Give them a Diablo 3 trailer with a little color and they demand their 'gothic' browns and greys back. I hope Blizzard ignores crap like this.

Hot damnit, thank you. I didn't want to bring this up but people: make up your mind. That game sucks because it's too dark, that game sucks because it's too colourful, that game sucks because it has a good colour balance, geez. Also, if Diablo 3 is cartooney I wonder what people would say if Blizzard made it cell-shaded? Ultra-mega-super-cartooney? I'm going to make a petition so people stop exagerating to get their point across.

Anyway, I very much doubt Blizzard could change the colour palette at this point without having to re-do a truckload of textures and the resulting game delay. What they could do is have some post-process filters like FarCry where people can tailor their game experience to their sense of aesthetics :)roll: :rolleyes:).

Is it? I think that by todays standards, Titan Quest is probably slightly better. Different mood, sure, but more up to date than D2.

Meh, I didn't really like TQ from what I got from the demo. I'd recommend people give Dungeon Siege 2 a try. The first was practically Diablo 3D (minus the random maps) and the second even more so with all the rares, uniques, sets. Even the drop sounds are quite similar. You even get quests that are more than "go there and wipe out all the fauna". You can probably get the DS2 Deluxe Edition which comes with the original + expansion for like 15 euros.

In fact... /me reinstalls DS2.

by going with a more cartoony art direction that will appeal to a wider portion of the population

How is opening up the color palette a cartoony look? I'm sorry but that's down right immature point of view when all these people are arguing for this "mature" look. Did you seriously take the art direction in Diablo 2 seriously? With the horrendous voices, the laughable names, the same shades of black and red everyone... it was boring and stupid. Are you seriously judging this game in any manor based on how popular it might be and with which "crowd"? Stop taking yourself so seriously.

Richard I actually had a similar thought to you to address this "situation." It came to mind after seeing the petition and the "examples."

So basically you're saying you didn't like the look of Diablo and Diablo 2 and that you prefer bright colorful art and vivid dreamscapes (or some such). How is this better than any other preference?

I'm just not jumping with joy that they saw fit to sorta merge WoW with Diablo. As I said earlier, Warcraft and Diablo were (historically) quite separate. While I sure wouldn't say Diablo 3 is looking exactly like WoW, the inspiration is obviously there. I'm not going to go out and join in the childish petitions about it, but I will say I do prefer games about evil to actually have artwork that enhances that atmosphere unless they are being "funny" like Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, etc. Diablo 3 is reminding me of Quake 4 vs. Quake3/Doom3 in a way: Raven definitely didn't have id's touch on that particular "dark shit" aesthetic. ;)

I get the feeling that they may think that their WoW art style is part of WoW's draw in a big way and are trying to bank on that a bit. And that the art team is likely way different now than 1996-2000 and they just don't have the same style or artistic desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a petition going around the net about the new art direction of Diablo III.
http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html

Although I don't agree that it is such a big problem I also liked the old Diablo style better. Anyway it is a matter of taste. I think I will try to play the game after messing with the color profiles of my display to cool the colors a bit. Here is one of the examples they give. I hope I can put this picture up. If not the link is below.

my.php

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=makeluvnotwarcraftzs3.jpg

Honestly, that petition is retarded at best.

"Hey, Blizzard! Here's ten thousand people who want you to toss out most if not all of the graphics work you've done and go with a darker style.(Note, when I say graphics work, I mean the art work, models, etc, not the engine.)"

I so, so want one of the Blizzard people to reply with something along the lines of this: "Alright, but you've got to pay for it, as we've spent quite a bit of money already, and the game will be delayed a year."

The idiocy of this petition is astounding...

Now, those who want it differently? That's fine, I respect that(I like the look of it myself.). But making/signing a petition to try and get a multi-million dollar company to redo one section of their game that would cost them a large amount of time and money?

This discussion about Diablo 3's palette reminds me of those discussions we had when Fallout 3 was confirmed. Oh the shock and horror it caused by going 3D!!! Like I said back then, I think some (most?) of the PC gamers are idiots who live in the pass and hope that the sequels to their favorite games are 1:1 copies of the original game.

So basically you're saying you didn't like the look of Diablo and Diablo 2 and that you prefer bright colorful art and vivid dreamscapes (or some such). How is this better than any other preference?

Because that's how diablo 3 looks?

Yep its all bright and cheery.

D3 is going to be a great game and I'm going to enjoy it regardless of the artistic direction. It's I just wish it had gone with a more photo realistic and macabre style instead of the WoW-esque stuff we are seeing in these videos and screen caps.

After reading Eurogamer preview I really hate the idea of waiting two years for this game to be released!

I'm just not jumping with joy that they saw fit to sorta merge WoW with Diablo. As I said earlier, Warcraft and Diablo were (historically) quite separate. While I sure wouldn't say Diablo 3 is looking exactly like WoW, the inspiration is obviously there. I'm not going to go out and join in the childish petitions about it, but I will say I do prefer games about evil to actually have artwork that enhances that atmosphere unless they are being "funny" like Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, etc. Diablo 3 is reminding me of Quake 4 vs. Quake3/Doom3 in a way: Raven definitely didn't have id's touch on that particular "dark shit" aesthetic. ;)

I get the feeling that they may think that their WoW art style is part of WoW's draw in a big way and are trying to bank on that a bit. And that the art team is likely way different now than 1996-2000 and they just don't have the same style or artistic desires.

See, this is what I totally don't get at all. Diablo 3's look is nothing at all like WoW. WoW is humerous and cartoony in it's look from the animations, the models shapes and proportions, to it's color. Diablo 3 on the other hand simply has a color palette wider than Diablo 2. The other aspects are very similar to Diablo 2. Though the fact that you bring up Doom 3 as something seemingly good pretty much leaves me with no hope for you. Doom 3 to me is just another example of horrible direction for the sake of trying to be dark. As far as the art team, the main people are still around at Blizzard that have shaped the way their games look.

If i had seen the videos without the hud/gui or a mention about it being the upcomming Diablo, and i had to guess what new version of the game was my first choice would be Baldur's Gate: dark aliance, in the current state, it has nothing that reminds me of WoW at all! (But neither from diablo as well)

This discussion about Diablo 3's palette reminds me of those discussions we had when Fallout 3 was confirmed. Oh the shock and horror it caused by going 3D!!! Like I said back then, I think some (most?) of the PC gamers are idiots who live in the pass and hope that the sequels to their favorite games are 1:1 copies of the original game.

Your oversimplifying the arguments wielded by the fallout fans. They (we) are not saying F3 had to be isometric and turn-based because the original was. The kernel of the issue was:

a) Fallout was defined by its turn-based gameplay.
b) Bethesda's reason for going third-person was that isometric games have no place today and that it wouldn't sell.

As Blizzard so aptly demonstrated not only is isometric view contemporary but it's also highly desireable by gamers. Imagine if all the Diablo 3 gameplay videos showed you playing from 1st/3rd person ALA Oblivion? Er... damn, that's a depressing thought.

Because that's how diablo 3 looks? Yep its all bright and cheery.
Diablo 3's look is nothing at all like WoW. WoW is humerous and cartoony in it's look from the animations, the models shapes and proportions, to it's color.

ss9-hires.jpg

ss5-hires.jpg

I guess you two need to look closer. Literally. Seems to me that there is definite WoW influence. It's not of WoW's insane ridiculousness, but it is there. Most of the time I think the game does look pretty good, but it's definitely got the WoW "aesthetic" in there.

Oh well, tis a stupid argument.

Though the fact that you bring up Doom 3 as something seemingly good pretty much leaves me with no hope for you.
I see you and I have different opinions on things as always but how bout we leave out the jackassery, huh? I never said that Doom3 was some amazing gaming achievement, but I think the id guys have a fascinating grip on the look/feel/sound of evil stuff. All of their games are pretty cool in that way (IMO!!!!)

Who's doing the soundtrack? Did they get Matt Uelmen back? Hope so. The soundtrack will make or break the feel of this game and whether it is at all like the previous games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you two need to look closer. Literally. Seems to me that there is definite WoW influence. It's not of WoW's insane ridiculousness, but it is there. Most of the time I think the game does look pretty good, but it's definitely got the WoW "aesthetic" in there.

Oh well, tis a stupid argument.

I definitely see more of a WoW influence in this screenshot than the others. Some of the screenshots on the Diablo3 site look fantastic. The outdoor scenery looks more a painting than a cartoon.

It looks so little like WoW it really isn't worth mentioning.

ss34-hires.jpg

worldofwarcraft

Obviously the same artists are being tasked so you're going to see some of that influence, but if you're looking at the Diablo3 stuff and thinking that it could fit in WoW, its because you've never actually seen WoW.

I definitely see more of a WoW influence in this screenshot than the others. Some of the screenshots on the Diablo3 site look fantastic. The outdoor scenery looks more a painting than a cartoon.
Yeah most of it definitely does look interesting, reminiscent of the look of the movie 300. Whatever you call that. But I do wish they'd leave the semi-WoW character look out and drop the smiling lion statues. ;)

Back