Diablo III - It's official

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by N00b, Jun 28, 2008.

1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Comparing blizzard to EA is retarded. More than 11 years have passed since Diablo and they've only just announced the 3rd game.

EA has released more versions of Madden than blizzard has all games and expansion packs in that timeframe.

2. V3

V3
    Veteran

Is D3 still click click click... or is there a new control scheme ?

3. Dooby

Regular

How do you generally control games? Blinking? Ear twitching?

4. Daozang

Regular

The only Blizzard game I ever liked was Diablo, but after that, the clickfest became anoying... I'm certain it will be a great game, like everything else Blizzard ever did, just not my cup of tea anymore...
    And I'll have to agree on the art direction. It doesn't remind me of Diablo, looks more like wow.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ohhh and it supports DX10.1. Now only if it would get released before my 4870 was rendered relatively obsolete. Yeah probably not going to happen. Guessing winter 09 or winter 10 for release. /big_sigh...

Regards,
    SB

6. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I liked Diablo, didn't like Diablo II, looked aweful IMO, but I have to say, Diablo III looks good. You must watch the HD video to see how beautiful it is, but it's cartoony indeed, when they get out of the tomb, you feel like the character is in the middle of a (beautiful) drawing...

That said, I agree, Blizzard is not, and has never been about innovating, it's much more about using existing gameplay mechanics and fine tuning them, and it works just well.

As they are making Diablo III a "coop" game, I'm likely to pick it up, even though, I'm also concerned about it being 'just' a clickfest... really not something I like.

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I wouldn't be so sure about directx 10.1, although by the time it's released (2010 seems likely) it might. There was an april 1st (april fools joke) press release about diablo3 which mentioned directx10.1. I've not seen anything in the latest blizzard official release mentioning 10.1 support.

8. CJ

CJ
    Regular

Well Dave Baumann did make a mention about signing a fairly major deal with Blizzard when talking about DX10.1 games on the Rage3D boards. So it seems logical to assume that this is for Diablo3 since SC2 doesn't use it afaik.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1335512390#post1335512390

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

There's also this. D3 will be DX9 and DX10.1 - no DX10, so leaving Nvidia hardware out in the cold for DX10 support. On top of that, the physics are Intel/AMD Havok, not Nvidia PhysX.

10. V3

V3
    Veteran

Arcade stick generally. Depend on the game really. Wheel for racing, flight stick for flight games, etc. Many games do offer alternate control scheme you know. Are they going to offer different control scheme or will it be the same like D2 ?

11. [maven]

Regular

Of course, they all play on the same battle.net.

I am very much looking forward to this (and I don't quite see where ConayR's complaints about the art-style come from - you probably could have imagined any sort of look into the low-res Diablo 1 and 2 sprites).
    I never really got into Diablo 2 (as it felt to convoluted to me coming from Diablo 1), so I hope D3 takes a few for queues from D1 in regards to simplicity. Not that it matters, now that I'm playing WoW... ;)

12. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Which is totally irrelevant to my point. My point is that EA is risk-averse to an absurd degree and Blizzard seems to follow in that path. Even id is trying something else than Doom or Quake with Rage.

13. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I don't think that's fair given that EA rehash the same old thing over and over, often producing mediocre games. Blizzard is using it's popular IP, and giving their customers the game they've been crying for. It's not like Blizzard doesn't craft their games to perfection, so comparing them to the hit and miss cookie-cutter factory that is EA seems unjustified.

14. SugarCoat

Veteran

i'd like for them to think outside the box as well but i'll still take Diablo 3. Never did the origonal but Diablo 2 was great fun while it lasted. The only thing i dont like is these long waits. Its great it was announced but we wont see a product for what, 12-18 months? And thats if things go according to plan.

15. phenix

Regular

Wake me up in two years. :(

Blizzard, I love you. But why are you so mean?

16. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

It's not about the quality of the games themselves, it's about the direction of the company.

Blizzard have announced SC2, D3 and an expansion to WoW. This is risk-averse and smells like EA's modus operandi for the last 10 years.

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

They said roughly 1 year to 1.5 years from now, the game will be out. Blah. I like it when games get announced and they're only the shelf within six months. There's no point in announcing anything earlier.

18. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I'd rather they did a great follow-up than some distinctly average new IP. Something like Diablo is a valuable IP, and not something to be thrown away because a few people want "something new". There are plenty of other companies that will do "something new", but there's only one place to get Diablo 3, and it's what millions of players want.

It regularly comes up in game threads when people say they just want a popular classic game updated for today's hardware. At the same time we see companies like ID stick with old IP and end up with a very poorly received game like Doom 3, or the same with Epic and Unreal Tournament 3, so I think it's more a question of the quality of the game. A high quality game will do well, and the fact there are loads of potential customers who want a high quality Diablo 3 is what will make it a successful and well received game if it comes off well.

Okay, so it's not intrinsicly new, but it will probably be a great deal of fun to play, and the fact that millions of people want it will justify it's development.

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

I don't really care if companies reuse an IP for games, as long as the gameplay is fun, which usually requires continuous improvements from one sequel to the next.

I really didn't get Diablo or Diablo2 until fairly recently. I thought they were pretty crappy, until my friend convinced me to play in co-op, and then I was hooked. I'm hoping I'll know some people with a PC when it's out. Everyone I know has gone the 360 route. Blizzard seems to be pretty smart about ensuring their games will run well on older hardware, and I'm hoping that holds true with Diablo3.

20. Scott_Arm

Legend

Diablo4 and Warcraft4 should be the same game. It's an MMO where each unit is controlled by an individual player, but there is an overseer that controls each side like in Warcraft. Ha ha ha. They can just roll all their IPs into one.