Diablo III - It's official

I now have a reason to upgrade my PC. Finally a PC exclusive (I think?) that I want. Diablo was always a winner because of co-op play, but I hope they really up the ante and make some killer new co-op features.

I now have a reason to upgrade my PC. Finally a PC exclusive (I think?) that I want. Diablo was always a winner because of co-op play, but I hope they really up the ante and make some killer new co-op features.

I wouldn't rush out and buy anything just yet, this is blizzard you're talking about. I'd be shocked to see this title before 2010.

I've been replaying D2 ever since they reset the ladder and it still holds up today. Come on Blizzard, have it ready for xmas!
After I got my bowazon to 99th, (first Amazon to 99th USWest 2nd ladder season) I quit D2 and went to WOW.

Looking forward to D3 since I quit WOW. :smile:

I wouldn't rush out and buy anything just yet, this is blizzard you're talking about. I'd be shocked to see this title before 2010.

This is true. I'm not going to buy any new PC hardware until there is a solid release date for a title I want. So I'm not gonna run out and buy anything now. Alan Wake might convince me to upgrade my PC as well.

It's unfortunate all my friends have gone the 360 route, because there's some titles that I'd rather play on PC that I'll end up playing on 360 for multiplayer/co-op with friends.

Are you honestly comparing this to WoW? I'll admit it's hard to look at WoW without getting annoyed with the slew of bright colors, but this isn't close. Sure there is a fair bit of colored lighting, but no more than in say NWN or D2. The only thing which seems overly colorful are the armors/items on the main character.
It's not about colors. Which is really funny - I've seen very few complaints about D3 not being dark enough, quite a few people saying, that they don't like the toon art style. Yet people always say: it's not bright! I know, I've got this thing attached to my head called eyes.

But compare Diablo art style:
warriorfc7.jpg

fightjs3.jpg

To Diablo 3 art style:
ba1gj9.png

ba2wo0.png

Diablo 3 has more cartoony, comic books inspired looks. That's what I don't like.

Its available on Mac as well, like all blizzard's title

Regarding realistic vs cartoony stly: It's pretty easy to see why they opted for the cartoony stlye. It simply looks better on the low-end, opening the game up to a larger audience. Plus it seems they want a consistent art direction across products (esp. D3 and WOW).

That said, I was put off a little when I saw the screenshots. They look a bit 2006 and compared to Titan Quest i think they look no or little better . However the gameplay video is actually quite good. We will see.

I hope they provide a better single player experience, since I found D1 and D2 pretty repetive and ultimately boring. And I hope for less items. The item micromanagement can get pretty tedious.

The proportions in that D2 concept art are even more unrealistic than the D3 one ... classic US muscle comic style, look at that fucking forearm.

@N00b: I do understand why they took this approach. I can even agree that D3 gfx looks great. It just doesn't look like Diablo to me.

@MfA: It's Diablo 1, plus ultimately Diablo 1 and 2 were aiming for photorealism, regardless of... uhm... arms. It was true for characters and locations. In case of Diablo 3 even locations look cartoony - visible brushstrokes, cartoony simplification of shapes, etc.

It's not just that the left arm is impossibly proportioned, his groin is incredibly high and he has arms like an orang-outang compared to his height. That's not realism.

Anyway screw concept art ... it's not like it makes an impact on the game. They can't render the cinematics like they draw that.

I think Blizzard is shooting itself in the foot with just making the same games over and over again.

SC2 = big yawn
D3 = big yawn
WoW = big yawn

Meh! Make something new!

I like the graphics and the gameplay concepts in the weapons, the sacrifices and raising of demons and such, but I don't see myself accepting this kind of gameplay/control anytime soon. It looks incredibly laggy and sluggish in terms of controls, and some parts still look less good than a certain PS2 game. Hopefully they can tighten up the response times. There were parts where the camera could be better also, but that's probably adjustable already.

I liked the first part the most in terms of graphics and some of the animations were great too (the zombies climbing out of the 3d scenery was very nice), the outdoor sections looked very meh, and at one time, the section of the smaller bull like beasts reminded me of Champions of Norrath very much, except that I liked that section in the PS2 game better, with all the arrows you shot at the beast sticking into it and staying there. That was just so awesome. I found the not that spectacular beasties on youtube (someone seems to be doing a playthrough - that's going to take him ages! He's at part 47 and nowhere near even where I was a long time ago. Also, this game is so much more fun in 2-4 player co-op, as obviously Diablo is)

Most of all, in its current form it definitely doesn't look like a game that will be console bound in that form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Blizzard is shooting itself in the foot with just making the same games over and over again.

SC2 = big yawn
D3 = big yawn
WoW = big yawn

Meh! Make something new!

o_O

You haven't read a news story in the past two years involving WoW and sales, have you?

diablo 1 +2 were the only blizzard games i ever liked , so i'm really happy to see this . I guess I will wait for this to come out before I update my 3870x2

o_O

You haven't read a news story in the past two years involving WoW and sales, have you?
I have, and I played it for 6 months. I quit for a reason. Honestly, Blizzard is turning into EA = no risk, no new IP.

Back