Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I haven't found it very difficult at all. But, I just hit level 20.

It appears from here some serious strike grinding, of the heroic daily strikes, is necessary. Not sure I have the stomach for it.

I'm still sort of trying to wrap my head around how best to advance. To get a big picture of the game's systems, so to speak.

The game is not very hard on the normal or hard difficulties. You can very hard and impossible difficulty, which I'm guessing will be quite a challenge. The raid is supposed to be insanely difficult.

So far, the raids are the most challenging part of the game. The ones earlier in the game actually seemed harder because we were very poorly equipped when we did them. Late in the game, when we all had good items the game actually started getting easier. When I got my legendary hand cannon, it was basically game over for the story missions. Level 22 difficulty should be a good challenge if we can choose it. I'm rarely the party leader. Level 20 difficulty is not enough with my group at 22, 22 and 21.

Edit: I think the missions are easier when you do them solo. THere are a lot less enemies, so there are less chances to get caught in a swarm that you can't escape from.

Anyone able to let me know how you actually get into a PvP match? I couldn't find the option last night.

Early in the game you will unlock the Crucible. Go to orbit and select the Crucible to enter PvP. You can earn loot and exp in the Crucible, I think. As you play I believe you will unlock more game modes.

Early in the game you will unlock the Crucible. Go to orbit and select the Crucible to enter PvP. You can earn loot and exp in the Crucible, I think. As you play I believe you will unlock more game modes.
Awesome - thanks.

its also best if you also take "participatory bounty" for crucible. basically they will give you XP bonus just for participating :D

Engrams are just a roll on a random piece of gear. You'll get a gun engram or a hat engram and you take it to the Cryptarch and he gives you a piece of gear. The engrams are tiered but it only gives you a better chance at higher tier gear, not a guarantee. I've gotten a bunch of green pieces out of blue engrams before.

So engram is the currency of destiny?

I thought it was a ingredient for making weapon lol.

The money is glimmer (worst currency name every). Engrams are random loot. You take an engram to the cryptarch and he'll turn it into an item for you. The colour of the engram tells you what chance you'll have of getting a green, blue or legendary item.

The money is glimmer (worst currency name every). Engrams are random loot. You take an engram to the cryptarch and he'll turn it into an item for you. The colour of the engram tells you what chance you'll have of getting a green, blue or legendary item.

Just a note - the color is the max an item can be, not a guarentee.

So far, I've gotten two blues from purple Engrams. I've also gotten 2 titan items. So my warlock currently has a grand total of 1 purple item from the 5 purple Engrams she has found. It is rather annoying actually.

Just a note - the color is the max an item can be, not a guarentee.

So far, I've gotten two blues from purple Engrams. I've also gotten 2 titan items. So my warlock currently has a grand total of 1 purple item from the 5 purple Engrams she has found. It is rather annoying actually.

Yah, I know. I've gotten green items from blue engrams. So far I've only had one purple engram and I got a legendary hand cannon from it, so I'm good ;)

I'm just starting to read some reviews of Destiny and I'm finding it interesting. It's a very polarizing game. You can see in the reviews how much people look for different things when they play a game. So many are upset about the story and they're bored because they don't have a narrative constantly driving them. Once they're done the story missions there is no reason to play.

I don't think its the fault of the game but the way it was initially marketed and who developed it.

I have never played Borderland, but I vaguely remember its premise being something about finding a vault hidden somewhere in the world. What I remember most about the game is the comments like, "Our game has a 'godzillion million' guns!!!".

Destiny's initial marketing revolved around its vague setting and premise. You get information about The Traveler, The Darkness, the plight of Earth and you playing as a guardian. What you get very little of is the loot/level system and gameplay.

From a marketing standpoint thats kind of backwards.

I don't think its the fault of the game but the way it was initially marketed and who developed it.

I have never played Borderland, but I vaguely remember its premise being something about finding a vault hidden somewhere in the world. What I remember most about the game is the comments like, "Our game has a 'godzillion million' guns!!!".

Destiny's initial marketing revolved around its vague setting and premise. You get information about The Traveler, The Darkness, the plight of Earth and you playing as a guardian. What you get very little of is the loot/level system and gameplay.

From a marketing standpoint thats kind of backwards.

Yah, I can see that. I didn't follow the marketing closely, but if it was heavily marketed based on the story, I can see that being a problem. The game is pretty much a loot grinder, or a PvP game. It's not a story-driven RPG like Dragon Age, Mass Effect or the Witcher. Does the MMO crowd care about the story? I think those people were expecting a lot of social interaction that isn't included, like having open mic to talk to people who are nearby.

I finally did a strike mission the other night. It was about three difficulty levels above my character. It wasn't too bad at all until the very end where we had to fight a freakishly huge monster that was initially chained down. Goddamn thing was impossible to kill, so everyone just quit. I kind of wish they wouldn't let you join a strike mission if you have no fucking hope of even damaging the end boss.

I really need to level up and get some good gear, then go back and kick that thing's ass.

I finally did a strike mission the other night. It was about three difficulty levels above my character. It wasn't too bad at all until the very end where we had to fight a freakishly huge monster that was initially chained down. Goddamn thing was impossible to kill, so everyone just quit. I kind of wish they wouldn't let you join a strike mission if you have no fucking hope of even damaging the end boss.

I really need to level up and get some good gear, then go back and kick that thing's ass.

First MMO? It's working as intended, you get to enter, fight hard and die hard. If the game only let you in if it knew you could win it would be a strange end game.

But now you want gear, and then kill the bastard and reap the rewards..

As far as I can tell, they have really made sure there is a real endgame to be played, and it's thankfully not easy :)

Does leveling up help with the strike missions?

Kind of? If you are equal level with the mobs then you hit for full damage and if you are higher level the mobs hit you for less damage but the bosses are still bullet sponges that you have to throw rocks at for 10-15 minutes to kill.

I haven't found it very difficult at all. But, I just hit level 20.

It appears from here some serious strike grinding, of the heroic daily strikes, is necessary. Not sure I have the stomach for it..

Yeah, it sounds a lot like Borderlands in that the major fans will tell you that "the game doesn't begin until playthrough 2.5! That's when it's the most fun and you get the best loot!"

I'm the type of person that doesn't want to play through the game two complete times with the same character, only to play through a third (2.5) time in order to finally be maxed level against maxed level opponents and get maxed level gear.

With Borderlands, it's okay because you can finish the game and then go play the DLC's, but even then, I've only gotten into playthrough 2, because I have no desire to play the entire game over again more than once.

I guess this is some sort of MMO feature that some people really enjoy, doing the same raids over and over again, and marveling at the newer and better stuff you can get each time, or "farming" certain areas.

For me.. blah. That's why I'm not so thrilled with Destiny because from what I've read, you're not going to be a "max level character" or have the "max level equipment" unless you finish the game and then just raid or farm.

And that sort of set-up really ruins the games for completionists (I'm not one, but my main co-op partner is), because while they want to get every achievement and do everything there is to do, doing everything multiple times just so you can get an achievement or the ability to replace your "Bullet Shooting Gun" with a "Bullet Shooting Gun +1" isn't very fun for a lot of people.

Right now I'm just grinding using this trick at the temple of Crota. And I got a few light armor so well on my way to level 21.

I guess things to do are getting thin though, it's basically strike playlists, grind, or crucible. I'll never be much for crucible as I'm not much at MP.

One thing, actually a few, I dont get:

-Does Crucible gear carry over into PvE?

-In the crucible, are all level advantages to your character turned off? There's a message that says level advantages disabled, but does this apply to everything? I come across some guys in crucible that seem to have a yellow health bar shield for example, I dont know what that is. Is it truly no advantages and everybody is on an exactly equal playing field? What about better armor and the like?

It seems like 29 may be the max level. I have never seen a level 29 so it must be extremely difficult to achieve.

Simple thing but now I understand the item hierarchy

Exotic
Legendary
Rare
Uncommon

You can only wear 1 exotic each I believe for weapons and armor, so you'll have to round out your arsenal with the best Legendary you can find.

I just acquired my first Legendary, and am currently working on leveling up my cryptarch who is only level two. He is said to give you loot for each level up.

Strange coins appear to be key to endgame content as you can buy exotic's with them. I already have 4. However I think you need either 13 or 23 to buy an exotic from Xur. You can get three apiece for doing I think the weekly and/or daily strikes. Apparently serious players will have two chars and thus for example are capable of farming 12 strange coins per week. I'm kind of proud of already having 4 without even really trying at level 20.

For me.. blah. That's why I'm not so thrilled with Destiny because from what I've read, you're not going to be a "max level character" or have the "max level equipment" unless you finish the game and then just raid or farm.

And that sort of set-up really ruins the games for completionists (I'm not one, but my main co-op partner is), because while they want to get every achievement and do everything there is to do, doing everything multiple times just so you can get an achievement or the ability to replace your "Bullet Shooting Gun" with a "Bullet Shooting Gun +1" isn't very fun for a lot of people.

I guess, I'm still enjoying it a lot. I feel like some of the criticisms can apply to any game, which is the case for most game criticism I feel like. Because 90% of games are basically just shooting stuff. Like Last of Us is supposed to be art or something, but if you wanted to you could say "well it has all these aspirations but really it quickly becomes just shooting zombies".

But yeah beating story is easy and I did it at level 18, so yes you definitely end up just crucible (MP) strikes/raid, or grind. But I still love getting better stuff so far. People can say "that' the only thing to do", but it's the only thing to do in any RPG really. For me, It's still fun. This game I can keep coming back to for a long time. That's why I wanted to buy it digitally, I can put other discs in but this will always be there at the ready.

One of my stupid little goals is to get a really nice long badass Warlock-style cape for my hunter, because it's hard to get good looking hunter capes at least that I know of. The one I've got recently is easily the best I've had yet. It does nothing but make my char look cooler, no defense or anything. I saw this girl on a twitch stream with a pretty cool cape on her hunter, so at least now I know for sure it seems possible...

If anyone wants to know a pretty good spot to farm loot, go to skywatch on earth (here). Make sure you stand far enough away so the hive almost instantly respawn, and don't go up and pickup the loot right after you see it... it will stay there, so just wait until you're out of ammo. It's also best to do it with 1 or 2 others, because if one or more escape, you have to hunt them down before they respawn again. Chances are there will be a few people there farming loot already. I found a couple legendary engrams in the matter of ~30min.

This spot is also pretty good for collecting vanguard marks, because a public event comes up every 20-30min in this exact location, which gives you 4 vanguard marks each time you complete it.

Currently at level 25, but I'm close to 26. Found one legendary armor and bought another with vanguard marks. Gonna save up for a shiny new helmet that should boost me to level 27.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back