Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Logically a weapon that requires a higher level player to wield would do more damage to higher level enemies than one that doesn't. Why would anyone design a game where a lower level player can use a lower level weapon to do the same damage as a higher level player with a higher level weapon? Doesn't add up. This of course is for weapons of the same type. This is exactly why you don't see a weapon with a lower level player requirement have a higher Attack rating than one that requires a higher level player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully this beta leads to a smooth launch and more devs go that route. And if it has horrible launch issues,then I guess we're screwed lol.

I doubt, other than the server stress test, they have learnt anything their team of play testers haven't all ready told them.

This Alpha/Beta thing is about one thing and one thing only, marketing. Firstly they got money from Sony and Microsoft, and they get word of mouth from people raving about the game.

You may see some new IPs follow this route, but I doubt anything else will.

I doubt, other than the server stress test, they have learnt anything their team of play testers haven't all ready told them.

This Alpha/Beta thing is about one thing and one thing only, marketing. Firstly they got money from Sony and Microsoft, and they get word of mouth from people raving about the game.

I have no doubt that they're actually doing this is work towards a better product. Sure, some of it is marketing, but I'm not cynical enough to believe they're just sitting on their hands and not actively trying to make sure they don't have a massive launch failure.

Every online game launched in the last 5 years has suffered crippling online issues in the first weeks AFAIK. Someone actually stress-testing and making sure it works would be a Very Good Thing and, if the console companies allow this without charging some dumb fee, it'll be a common things in future at least for the bigger titles.

Every online game launched in the last 5 years has suffered crippling online issues in the first weeks AFAIK. Someone actually stress-testing and making sure it works would be a Very Good Thing and, if the console companies allow this without charging some dumb fee, it'll be a common things in future at least for the bigger titles.

The original Guild Wars had an awesome development cycle that involved the community of players. The Alpha was a lot of fun. Having direct interaction with the devs and play testing levels with them was a great experience. Unfortunately that is not the norm. I remember finding a weird CPU big on AMD processors. It had something to do with running Teamspeak(I think, maybe Ventrillo) and the game at the same time, and it would cause an error loading the world mesh, but only occasionally. Those are the kinds of bugs you'll only find if you have a lot of people playing. Maybe console devs don't see the need, because the consoles are a closed box. Guild Wars had a great Alpha community testing the game 24/7 for at least a year on top of all the beta weekends they did. Considering gamers will jump at the opportunity to play betas like Destiny for free, I don't see why developers wouldn't want to do it. It's free testing. In a single weekend you can have more people playing and sending metrics and crash logs than you could ever generate internally. I guess Bungie can afford to pay for all of the servers before they've collected any money in sales, and that's the difference. Even for people like me that did not like Halo much, I always recognized they released quality. Hopefully the trend continues.

Off topic:
I may have single-handedly gotten the Mesmer nerfed many times over before the release of Guild Wars. My Mesmer/Warrior build was a beast, nearly invincible one on one, and had massive damage output in a group. Ever time we did PvP against the devs I'd end up being nerfed within a couple of days. I remember one particular round fighting the devs, where a Warrior got me separated from the group. After a good five minutes of him trying to kill me one on one, he eventually said, "lol" and walked away. Play testing that game was maybe more fun than playing a game normally. Playing with a level designer and having them ask detailed questions about the levels they were building was very cool. They'd ask about puzzles, difficulty, fun and all kinds of things.

if the console companies allow this without charging some dumb fee, it'll be a common things in future at least for the bigger titles.

Something something something early access fees. ಠ_ಠ
Off topic:
I may have single-handedly gotten the Mesmer nerfed many times over before the release of Guild Wars. My Mesmer/Warrior build was a beast, nearly invincible one on one, and had massive damage output in a group. Ever time we did PvP against the devs I'd end up being nerfed within a couple of days. I remember one particular round fighting the devs, where a Warrior got me separated from the group. After a good five minutes of him trying to kill me one on one, he eventually said, "lol" and walked away. Play testing that game was maybe more fun than playing a game normally. Playing with a level designer and having them ask detailed questions about the levels they were building was very cool. They'd ask about puzzles, difficulty, fun and all kinds of things.

lol

:p

Did we ever have a gta5 online beta test?
I don't think so and I would claim Rockstar did incredible damage to their big plans with online, it sucked so hard to begin with that it simply ended up costing them players. Like me, when it worked all my friends were gone

Destiny was ok as a beta test. Staggered release made sure they could handle it, and a final open for everyone with rewards for being online during a certain time to ensured a peak load.

And yes it was a demo as well, that should sell the game. How that can be considered negative is beyond me.

Had the beta sucked it would have hurt them, they delivered with a good beta and a great game.

I just can't turn on my ps4 anymore :(...there's nothing to play onn it anymore....I want more of Destiny :cry: ! That game has made everything else feel like crap on the ps4 !

Looks like its time to turn on the ps3 again and play some RnC :Into the NExus, thats one fun game !

I just can't turn on my ps4 anymore :(...there's nothing to play onn it anymore....I want more of Destiny :cry: ! That game has made everything else feel like crap on the ps4 !

My schedule is fine. Between today and Destiny's release, I will play a lot of TLOU Remaster and Metro Redux. :)

Well, I don't know about anybody else, but my 360 crashed repeatedly playing Destiny Beta and it virtually never crashes or hangs. Like, it's done it maybe twice in its entire (very lengthy) life.

There were also numerous party issues, trying to join parties, trying to join sessions in progress, etc.

I sure hope this wasn't just a marketing demo, because if the game is released without getting these things fixed, they're going to get hammered.

Yep. Other than one server disconnect when completing a mission, I experienced no issues on the XBone. Pretty flawless experience overall.

On PS4 I had one disconnect because of the loss of PSN connection [my router very rarely does that], and I had few server error messages during the Moon stress test when I managed to enter the Tower on my 3rd or 4th attempt.

Other than that, all was perfect.

Raids are “extremely crafted,” six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs that might best be described as gut-checks. Yes, they will be difficult, and they will absolutely require communication and cooperation. That’s why Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers. But Smith is quick to point out that they’re not like Strikes – the instanced dungeon-like runs that might take a mere 20-60 minutes – but more like MMO raids in that you’re going to want to buckle up and get comfortable for a couple hours.

“The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been,” Smith explains. “A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

The beta was great: Gameplay was good, artstyle and Halo atmosphere excellent, perfect for single campaign-ish (PVE?) stuff.

But I have strong doubts with the PVP in this game because of the input lag/ghosting blur of the 30fps. I can't see how a 30fps capped game could seriously compete with the PVP of Warcraft, COD and Battlefield 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back