Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I joined a clan because I've raided with these guys several times before and our group are always on the same page. We beat CE twice in ~1 hour, and we only cheesed the first two parts. On both raid attempts combined, we only failed once or twice. The name of the clan (which I won't mention lol) wouldn't be my first choice, but all I care about is that I have a group of guys that I can regularly run the raid with quickly.

How do you cheese the first part? The blowing up light poles catapult thing?

That definitely seems in the category of more trouble than it's worth cheese, especially since the 1st part shouldn't take too long. The Crota and bridge cheeses OTOH save loads of time.

My first raid yesterday the group was pretty good, so we at least tried Crota legit a couple times before cheesing under the theory of "bungie will patch so we need to have legit down". That's a good strategy imo too.

People can talk all they want about weapons and skill>light level, but even in VoG the biggest indicator of success I've noticed seems to be light level (although of course there is great variation). If you get in a CE group with 4+ 31's you will likely win, and vice versa.

personally i cheese the 1st part by jumping on top of the lamp then run then jump. keep repeating it until reach the bridge. then i jump to the small stone/iron/thing beside the gate. The thralls wont attack me and i can easily IceBreaker the Mini Phogoth.

How do you cheese the first part? The blowing up light poles catapult thing?

That definitely seems in the category of more trouble than it's worth cheese, especially since the 1st part shouldn't take too long. The Crota and bridge cheeses OTOH save loads of time.
Yeah it doesn't really save you much time at all, and it's not that hard. This 'cheese' is more to solo it, than to save time. I'm just saying that we cheesed it, because technically we did. We actually all made it to the plate by the time he got to the end any way.

The witch part and Crota himself, we beat with ease (legitimately) on the second and first attempt respectively on our two runs of the raid.

Last edited:
Destiny has been down tonight for me. I guess it's lizard squad even though most of the complaints I see online are about PSN down not Destiny Xbox...but whatever it's down for me last 1.5 hrs :( Stealing my precious holiday playtime...

Destiny on my new 55" Vizio+surround sound=awesome.

I think the unquestioned best scout now would be Badger CCL, if you can get it to drop with field scout. Did a little testing on level 30 Psion crit hits. 300 VOC=890, 331 NITC=1019 (EXACTLY as +14.5% would predict, and NITC has the same impact as VOC) and 331 Badger=1222.

This also pretty much confirms that 331 weapons with the same impact will do 14.5% more damage than 300 weapons, not ~10% more as the raw attack suggests.

Badger @331 thus hits for 37%! more than VOC. TThat's a light level. But of course it has a 14 mag...but with Field Scout it would be 27. The 14 mag honestly doesn't feel like just a huge hindrance in most encounters, but it's there.

It's rougher than VOC/NITC which are both similarly smooth shooters, but it's still a headshot machine like all scouts. It doesn't have solar elemental, but honestly that doesn't come into play on a ton of enemies and the +37% more than makes up for it.

As it is I will probably switch between NITC and Badger currently. NITC being the smoother shooter with the bigger 19 mag.

Last edited:
The raid was good to me today... I got the 3 pieces I needed to level up both of my warlocks to 32 (2 chest pieces and gauntlets). My main has a full raid set now from head to toe and man does the new raid gear look way better than the VoG raid gear. Well, mostly because of the helmet.

The nightfall on the other hand, gave me shit all again. Almost everyone I know has gjallarhorn, including one guy who got it 5 times. Just give me one!

Last edited:
got all the gear i need for 32 but not enough radian shards :(

btw the crota 2nd part also very easy to do solo (just camp on top of the boxes in the room where swordbreaker spawn. thralls will disappear and enemies on other side will spawn).

Haven't you PS guys been out of commission due to DDOS lately?

I had problems (no access really) on IIRC Chistmas Eve, Christmas day, but around 3 AM last friday (just in time for Xur) it cleared up since then. Although I'm not sure whether it was Destiny Servers or XBL that was down.

The nightfall on the other hand, gave me shit all again. Almost everyone I know has gjallarhorn, including one guy who got it 5 times. Just give me one!

Heh, I have a buddy in a similar situation, he's played probably as much as me since launch and still doesn't have Ice Breaker nor Gjallahorn. Both of which I got early on (well, IB was on sale so no excuses! But people didn't realize it's value back then I guess). My journey through the game would have been quiet different without those.

Although really to be honest for all the Gjallohorn hype I'm really not a rocket launcher guy. IB is 10X more valuable imo.

Honestly though, kind of sadly, with those two I just dont see much need for any other exotics in the game, such as the seemingly countless interchangeable exotic fusion rifles. At least I dont use any other exotics, really. Couldn't even bring myself to upgrade Suros last week. PVP may be a different story though.

This week's 2X raids coming up! I hope to get the chest piece (last one I need), lots of shards not energy, and Black Hammer.

Another thing me and my friend agreed on that just kind of came to me, but I kind of already suspected, is I feel like Bungie's decision to make Radiant Shards raid only may have been a bad one. I'm not sure their tactical gameplay reasons for doing that, but for me it effectively makes the game more boring. It effectively divides playing time into "Raid" and "not raid". The problem is all "not raid" play time then feels a bit inconsequential.

When I get done raiding (and nightfall and weekly of course, but those are knocked out quickly) each week, I feel I have nothing to do but bounties to level weapons. Weapons in many cases that may not even be a part of my long term plans (but I might as well upgrade them because there's nothing else to do). Do the dailies? Why? All they do is give some XP back towards...more leveling, and not even for guns! So it's kind of just like another bounty. Granted resources too.

Because face it, the big goal in the game is light levels, and even weapon upgrades kind of pale in comparison. So now, after like one day when you've completed raiding, you're left feeling almost like it's down time the rest of the week.

I suppose part of this problem could be solved if I was into PVP in any way. At least it would be another major activity to do.

Before, you could get shards in public events, daily missions, etc. You felt involved and progressing throughout the week. It would have been nice if they even gave you one shard/radiant mat per first daily PE, or something...

Last edited:
I had problems (no access really) on IIRC Chistmas Eve, Christmas day, but around 3 AM last friday (just in time for Xur) it cleared up since then. Although I'm not sure whether it was Destiny Servers or XBL that was down.

If it was after Christmas day then it was Destiny servers. XBLive was up in the morning and in the evening for some spots of the US on Christmas Day. It was fine for sign-in the next day, Friday, but some multi-player servers like EA's and Bungie's and Activision's were still being DDoSed by LizardSquad. We have been discussing most of this over at this thread: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/ddos-or-how-we-lost-our-games-to-a-lizard.56012/

Haven't you PS guys been out of commission due to DDOS lately?

PSN was down for close to 3 days for me since Christmas, but it's been pretty good for me the past few days. I've already beat the nightfall twice and the crota raid 3x after the reset. Between my clan and people on my friends list, I can find a raid group with little to no effort. Lots of people are anxious to do the raid immediately after the reset.

It was actually pretty funny how our raid group was formed last night; me and my buddy started the raid just to do the first two parts ourselves, but 4 others invited themselves to our group (2 from my friends list) and we ended up finishing it. Then I just beat it 2 more times with my clan today (well, actually 3... helped them out again).

Just leveled up one of my warlocks to 32, but still need ~33 more shards to level up my other warlock to 32. Also got boots for my Titan, so I'm a pair of gauntlets away from getting him to level 32-ready. I probably won't bother spending radiant shards on my Titan though because I rarely use him.

Heh, I have a buddy in a similar situation, he's played probably as much as me since launch and still doesn't have Ice Breaker nor Gjallahorn. Both of which I got early on (well, IB was on sale so no excuses! But people didn't realize it's value back then I guess). My journey through the game would have been quiet different without those.
It's pretty crazy if you think about it. I can't even count how many times I've done the nightfall, weekly or how many legendary engrams I've turned in. Not to mention how many times I've done the raid (on all of my characters, including the hunter I deleted, I'm probably around 80 raid clears). And not a single Gjallarhorn. I've got 3 or 4 Icebreakers though, but one was purchased.

Although really to be honest for all the Gjallohorn hype I'm really not a rocket launcher guy. IB is 10X more valuable imo.
I'd say Icebreaker and Gjallarhorn are equally valuable. Gjallarhorn is hands down the best weapon for bosses and doing massive damage, while Icebreaker does good damage and has ammo regen. I'm not desperate to get it because a lot of my clanmates have it and I'm usually on sniper duty anyway, but I still want one.

Last edited:
Skribbles if you're back on 3 characters you'll definitely be outpacing my progress :(

I'm still constantly kind of debating a third char again, so far still not.

I much prefer only two chars for normal pace of play (once I'm max level IE 30 or 32), but I kind of wish I had a 3rd just for raid mule purposes to hurry to 32. But I know if I make a 3rd, I wont be able to keep myself from using him for more than that.

I've actually considered rushing a guy to 20, using him to bootstrap 32 faster, THEN deleting him. But that just seems silly.

Also considered at times making a Warlock 3rd, wouldn't be able to rush level him (though I keep the best armor that drops for other classes so I'd have a good headstart), and wouldn't be able to use him to assist my other chars in some ways (like raid armor that dropped for him would not be hunter armor) but it would be a lot more fun to experience a new class.

The vault shortage keeps getting worse, I noticed they introduced at least 3 new items, radiant shards, radiant energy, and commendations. When our item vault space was already tight. Add in telemetries and stuff, it's not even close to enough space to be comfortable.

Commendations are rapidly turning completely useless as expected. I'm sitting on 6 already I think. There's really only typically a very limited window in endgame where anything is worth buying from vendors. You may fancy an odd gun or two to round out your lineup (but vendor guns seem noticeably worse now in Dark Below anyways, EG no good hand cannon at least from vanguard vendor) but that's about it. Next update Bungie must give us something to trade commendation for lol. Or just make it a non-issue with more vault space.

Last edited:
Thinking about exotics just now, I wonder if the way to solve what I see as the exotic problem (there's no use for most of them imo) would be to just let players equip more than 1 exotic, at least on the gun side.

Maybe make it 2, or maybe 3.

You could handle other problems "caused" by this different ways...you could make exotics drastically more difficult to attain, and so instead of having 20 mostly useless exotics like I do, you'd have far fewer and they'd be more valuable. IMO you would probably want to buff exotics in general, as many of them are not really better than legendaries. You could make a more visible difference between exotics being the best, and legendaries being 2nd best, by buffing exotics.

Or I guess you could just leave everything as is currently in terms of weapon balance, just let us equip two exotics. Then all those 40 exotic fusion rifles might become more usable.

I kind of feel like the game has gotten a bit too difficult to solo lately, so this might make the game a bit easier but that'd be ok imo.

Returned home on the 26 and couldn't play destiny but during the day I played gt6, weird. Destiny was back for me early 27th and I have been working on eris since, finally finished the quest line yesterday. And finally got the last shards to take me to 31.

Those 6 shards took me almost 2 weeks.

Anyway, feeling the end is near, when eris it at lvl 3 there is only raid left. And as I said before unlikely to happen.

your journey is far from over Guardian. Your future is to collect shards and reach level 32.

Agh i need more shards. Is raiding the only activity that gives Radiant Shards?

@Rangers, yeah I will most likely be running the raid 3x a week, simply because between my clan and other people on my friends list, opportunities to run the raid come up often. With that said, I'm basically only managing 2 characters. My Titan is just there to run the raid again. I never do his bounties, I'm not wasting any radiant shards on him, and I only do the nightfall if I feel like it and someone asks me to do it again. I don't even pay as much attention to my second Warlock as my main Warlock. I really don't even need 2 sets of 32 gear... I could always just swap my raid gear between characters (which is what most of my clan-mates do) but I'm too lazy. It would save me a shit-ton of shards though.

your journey is far from over Guardian. Your future is to collect shards and reach level 32.

Agh i need more shards. Is raiding the only activity that gives Radiant Shards?
Unfortunately, yes. Need to make another character!

Got LDR 5001 sniper from 1st nightfall of the week. Actually a nicely useful weapon, as (besides the advantage of being 331 of course) it dropped with void damage as well. It's also a hard hitter nearly as much impact as Ice Breaker, unlike Praedyth's Revenge. It dropped with firefly too, seems like a ton of my guns have firefly lately. No field scout though, so it'll be limited to 4 in the mag.

PR might eventually become useless then, but for now I'll keep it, it's seen me through a lot along with a few other heavily used guns. Let me see if i can think of my "most used throughout Destiny":

VoC (my most used workhorse primary for the longest stretch of any primary), Praedyth's Revenge (void strikes and go to legendary sniper), Fatebringer (basically equal to VOC imo, used as a workhorse primary alongside VoC but I got VoC earlier), Ice Breaker , Gjallahorn, Hezen Vengeance (a good all around backup legendary RL), Light/Beware (was arc I think), The Swarm (solar version, my first great and longtime legendary heavy) , Zombie Apocalypse (void version, too low ammo, but used for a good while for VoG before I got Corrective), Corrective Measure, Patience and Time (mostly arc strikes), Atheons Epilogue (was my first "real" primary for a while before I decided it sucked)...

Probably missing some.

This doesn't mean they were all great, a lot of times it's just what you had access too (Light Beware is a good example, nothing special about it but it's a solid fusion and the one I happened to have through much of the game)

I'm using 331 Another NITC as my current workhorse primary...I find it a good compromise for now between Badger's lower ammo and VOC's lesser impact (because of being limited to 300). You give up solar vs VOC, but it doesn't seem to matter that much. I am not thrilled, but I think on balance it's better than VoC even giving up the 8 shots and solar damage.

Long term I need a Badger or at least NITC with Field Scout.

Last edited:
1st raid run...6 Energy (arghhh) 4 shards, but at least Black Hammer and Dragon's Breath.

Oh and Gauntlets again which I think is my 3rd pair so I can dismantle them for shards.

With DB and Black Hammer I think that's it for weapons I want from the raid, if not the whole expansion...

Total everything (redundant armor and already upgrade) I have about 32 shards I guess. eking my way slowly towards 63...

Pelupa, like Reddit comments said maybe it's a chest thing...there really needs to be more than two chests. VoG had what was it 4 or 5? Or for hard raid also like they said.

Last edited:
Back