Destination Star Trek: 2014

I think I'll be going for the Saturday and Sunday, plus the parties of course, the first is Risa themed and the second is themed on Vic Fontaines lounge, complete with the man himself! For a DS9 fan that's literally a dream come true!

Gggggnnnnhhhhhhh........... I haven't been to London since, like, 2003 or 2004, I can't remember. Saw Patrick Stewart perform as the Master Builder. Awesome. :D

This is mighty tempting.

Gggggnnnnhhhhhhh........... I haven't been to London since, like, 2003 or 2004, I can't remember. Saw Patrick Stewart perform as the Master Builder. Awesome. :D

This is mighty tempting.

Yeah, come over! I never was to any Star Trek convention, but it's thanks to TNG that I've hooked up with technology in a way I did! Being 8-9 years old and watching TNG can do this to you!

We're on a hardcore gaming forum, I don't think any of us are worried about how nerdy we look ;).

Mine and the wifes tickets are now booked for the Sat/Sun and both parties. Woo hoo can't wait!

From a country where the series are little known (yet they were dubbed), watching them didn't feel too nerdy, except that came about because all the references on a particular nerdy web site :). It's fun seeing all the concepts and ideas stolen by Stargate SG1. Recently, due to advancing in the DS9 playlist I figured out that not only the Jaffa are closely modeled on the Klingons, they are also a great deal like the Jem'adar (whatever you spell it) as a race of slave warriors dependent on their "gods".

Except, of course, the Jem'Hadar regularly get their arses kicked by an assorted collection of Federation engineers/physicians/traders, week-in, week-out!

That sort of criticism is self-defeating, as you could apply it to almost any TV show in the same general genre. Script invulnerability/immortality is a necessity unless you want to replace your entire cast in a timely, rotating fashion... ;)

Band of Brothers for example would quickly have been changed into Band of One-Veteran-And-A-Bunch-of-Wet-Behind-The-Ears-New-Recruits... ;)

But, with more intelligent script-writing, you'd have the Federation chaps doing their darndest to avoid fighting the Jem'Hadar instead of entering into fisticuffs with genetically-engineered warriors all the time!

I'm not complaining too much, however. I appreciated the episodes where some combat was taking place instead of the interminable 'character development' episodes where somebody is learning to play an instrument or somesuch nonsense.

Back