Desk, Office, Gaming Chairs?

My chair was here before I woke up, had a cup of coffee and just got done putting it together and sat back in it.

Then I closed my eyes and smiled and just sat there for a bit with my eyes closed enjoying the not hurting sensation. :)

Not the greatest, but not at all bad! I'm not sure what bonded leather is, this one is just PU (polyurethane?) and PVC. Comfy and wider than my other one, I approve.

I'm not sure what bonded leather is, this one is just PU (polyurethane?) and PVC.

Bonded leather is below PU / PVC from -- https://powermodo.com/genuine-vs-faux-vs-bonded-leather/

Bonded as mentioned earlier, is the lowest grade of leather. This means, goods made from this type of material don’t last for long.
And often the surface starts peeling within two to three years of continuous use.​

What is PU/Faux Leather?
PU leather, also known as pleather or leatherette, literally means manmade. A type of faux leather made to look and feel like an authentic rawhide leather without having to use any animal hide.

It is an imitation of the real thing; and often, if you’re not experienced with handling leather, you can mistake it for a real one.

There are many ways to make PU leather; however, the most common method used by manufacturers is to combine polyurethane with split grain then paste it on a surface – this process ensures that PU goods are cheaper.

The only thing going for this type of leather is that it is inexpensive. But, it is not particularly durable. Hence, goods made of PU are likely to suffer some damages within a couple of years.​

What is Bonded Leather?
Bonded leather, also called blended leather or reconstituted is a type of leather made from bonding together scrapes from the hide splitting process.

Remember, the hide splitting process we talked about earlier? Well, as you can imagine, during the process, scraps of leather are created. These tiny bits instead of being thrown away are gathered together then blended to form a new piece of material.

To make bonded leather, manufacturers often ground together with the scrapes of hides with plastics before sticking them unto a hard fiber surface. Then finish it off by adding coats of colors and paints which make the material resemble the real thing.

Depending on a manufacturer’s standard, the bonded material could contain as little as 20 percent real Leather and still be classified as a leather product. Though, in most countries, anything less than 20 percent are classified as faux.​

Some of the top office chairs on that list and even the Kinnarps 9000 might be what my work has at the office. Some of the chairs there I really disliked, some weren't bad, and some were good. I'll have to take note of which is which if/when I return to the office. No idea when that might happen.

In the mean time, I came across a sale on an office chair similar to the one I had before that is passable, so I went with that (Amazon Product link). It was delivered this morning and I already assembled it. I'm now hoping the new smell fades soon enough. I'm hoping it lasts at least a year. If it does that, I won't mind having spent the $100 on it.

So I really do want the better chair, but I can't see spending as much money as they're asking without having at least looked at and tried sitting in the chair before purchasing. The current pandemic really constrains and prevents doing so. I think I want one with the much higher and bigger back for lounging too, like going above my head. Maybe by next year I'll have reworked my local work and lounge space so two chairs are feasible.

I'll still be keeping an eye out for deals on the higher quality chairs or if a new chair just looks so amazing I have to have it.

Good call, I think I've had that chair and it's pretty comfy.

I know the chair I got isn't exactly the one I wanted either, but unless I can go sit in one I don't like spending a ton of money on them. It's one of those gotta try things to know.

What I do know is my back and my butt have felt a TON better ever since getting this new cheapish chair. Sometimes it's just fine to settle for better instead of perfect, and for me this was one of those times.

My last chair's seat was only 19" wide, I was squished and couldn't even sit in my chair with my legs crossed. This one is only 21-1/4" wide, but it's more than enough for me to sit with my legs crossed comfortably. (Apparently my knee got better too so I can do it again, WOO-HOO!)

Congrats on the chair Brit, you're gonna thank yourself the second day you own it. (I almost never fall in love with a chair the first day I own it, I need to sleep on it before it's "my" chair I think. LOL )

EDITED BITS: I'm also planning to keep my eye out for a really good office chair bargain, but I'd rather have a comfy one while I'm looking and not be desperate. Probably some great liquidation sales deals to be had before this epidemic/second revolutionary war is all over.

I'm semi in this market also.
My existing several year old DXRacer chair is distinctly worse for wear, don't think I want another racer type & not another one of the same faux leather stuff that flakes off.
Want one thats good quality but not all that expensive

The options are absolutely vast with a lot of pit-falls and/or scales up to really large amount of $$$
Those Herman Miller chairs look incredible but whew, a long way out of my price range :nope:

Anyone got experience with Formway/Knoll Life chairs?
Found suggestions that those are very good & I've found a nearby place that does 2nd hand ones at good $.

I have a gtoffice gaming chair on advice from ars technica and it sucks completely.

Go to your local universities excess material depot and buy a used chair. The last one I got was $10 and way better than the recommended gaming chair.

So what were some good executive chairs? My son stole the one I bought last year and both my german shepherds tackled me in my current office chair this morning and now it's left arm isn't quite connected anymore.

Any quicky recommendations?

Muzzles ?
Wouldn't help. They weren't biting/attacking me, Buffy was climbing in to my lap trying to kiss my face more and Pinky got jealous so she got behind me and jumped up on my shoulders and pulled me backwards where she could kiss me.

Looking at this one right now, it's on sale for $120us and I could have it Friday. I liked this one but thought $300us was a bit steep so I've been hunting.

EDITED BITS: A big nope to both, the seats are only 20" wide! :O

Last edited:
I got an Ergohuman a couple of months back to replace my nearly falling apart DXRacer gaming chair.
Overall I'm pretty happy with it so-far though its got its oddities/issues.

Generally solid construction though a bit cheap/more flimsy in a couple of places than I was expecting.
Doesn't creak while the DXracer did like a mofo right from the start.

The lumbar support feels pretty weird to start out but I think it actually works out pretty well.
The armrests have a lot more play than I was hoping for, like the MXRacer in that respect.
Arms tilt with the back which is very different & means I can't have them go under the desk edge like I used to.
Minimum seat height is about right for me, I'd like to have it up a bit from the bottom so I get some bounce.
It came with 2 different sets of wheels but I wound up yoinking the bigger, wider wheels off the DXRacer as the others don't get along with my carpet well. (as I write that I realise that is part of the reason I have the seat at minimum)

Major annoyance is the back only locks in 4 places & I want to have it about halfway between most vertical & first step back.
The tilt spring is nowhere near strong enough for me to let it free-float.

My chair is at a definite angle now and my back hurt yesterday from sitting in it, so I went ahead and ordered this chair which should be here Saturday.

It's less than I planned on and more than my wife wanted, so I figure the price is rightish. Feature-wise it looks pretty good, there's some other functions I'd like but then the price gets too high. Hoping this is a good balance. Either way I just want a less broken chair as soon as possible. :/

My colleague recently bought a Lazyboy recliner chair, large wall-mounted 4K monitorable TV & a keyboard tray thing to go over the chair, dumped his desk & 2nd monitor outright.
Could be amazing & he seems pretty happy with it but I'd really have to try it out for a bit before I could commit to such a setup.
Plus the chair alone is 4* what I paid for the Ergohuman -> way outside my price range.

Back