Dench says Brosnan is next Bond!

Guden Oden

Legend
I must admit I am very pleased to hear this! Despite the hiccup that was his second attempt at the role (weak plot and too damn many blatant product placements), I have generally much enjoyed his portrayal of the world's most unlikely spy. Okay, apart from Austin Powers I guess! :LOL:

The ease and confidence he's shown in the last two movies have been quite enjoyable to witness, and I'm sure it will be equally enjoyable in the next as well, if Mme Dench's word can be trusted.

...Though the idea of Jude Law playing Bond did pique my interest for a while there! I think he'd do a great job too, but I think he's still too young for that character.

Rumors were strongly circulating that the Bond producers had been testing for a replacement after Brosnan indicated he was done with the franchise. Clive Owens and Jude Law were supposedly the leading contenders to fill the role.

Fact: Brosnan is the worst Bond ever after Lazenby (or whatever that little monkeys name was).
Aren't you forgetting David Niven?

Considering the few people who actually played Bond, that's really not saying much. I'm surprised you'd say that, though. A lot of people are more annoyed by Timothy Dalton, who technically played Bond closer to the way the books are written than any of the other actors. It's just that Bond as a character is more of a caricature of the spy than a serious acting role. At least, that's the precedent set by Sean Connery. So in film, we always associate that image with Bond.

A lot of talk was that this was all horsetrading while both sides bargain about Brosnan's massive fee. Apparently Roger Moore did the same thing of saying he wouldn't do another Bond, and then they'd offer more money.

Bear in mind that Sony have always supported Brosnan in the role, because they know he's been making successful Bond's, and don't want to change that.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Fact: Brosnan is the worst Bond ever after Lazenby (or whatever that little monkeys name was).
Aren't you forgetting David Niven?

Considering the few people who actually played Bond, that's really not saying much. I'm surprised you'd say that, though. A lot of people are more annoyed by Timothy Dalton, who technically played Bond closer to the way the books are written than any of the other actors. It's just that Bond as a character is more of a caricature of the spy than a serious acting role. At least, that's the precedent set by Sean Connery. So in film, we always associate that image with Bond.
Brosnan is just way to much of a boyscout leader to be Bond material.
The character has always had bit of animosity and animal unpredictability in him, not just in his actions but in his appearance too.
Brosnan just hasn’t got IT. Moore didn’t have IT either, but he had something else. Brosnan has nothing.
Anyone not able to see that, IMO just haven’t understood what Bond the character is about.
And a female M?! Pleeease!

mito said:
Timothy Dalton definitely the worst Bond ever.
How can you say that?! I think in some ways he was better than Roger Moore.
Could you explain what it is that supposedly makes him the worst?

Worst Bond ever is easily Roger Moore. Best Bond is Connery, followed very closely by Brosnan.
________
E23

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose the title of the thread because Bond is a character that doesn't belong to any one actor. It never has, really, and Brosnan said he was finished with the role anyway, so always, each time there's a new Bond movie there's potential for a new Bond too...

As for who is the best Bond, I really don't have an opinion. I think Dalton was good, the first movie he did was great IMO, the second....weeelll....not so great. That was because the script was pretty dodgy tho (wheelie with a truck? lol!), not really because of HIM. Moore was great too, even though he never took the character really seriously. Moonraker stands as one of my fav Bonds of all time. Connery's cool too, but most of his Bonds are set in the 60s which makes them hopelessly dated for the most part. Brosnan is a great 90s/00s Bond, and a female M is exactly right too. It's the contrast we need, I think. "Sexist, misogynist dinosaur" indeed! :D

Hugh's not british though. Might be a problem taking him seriously because of that. Personally I'd much like the idea of Catherine Zeta-Jones as 007 I think... Not as Bond, obviously, but taking up the mantle. Read this as speculation, and I think it'd be cool.

Wonder how people would react over a woman drinking and picking up bedpartners left and right like Bond has always done though... :D At least it's not PC for the character to smoke also anymore. ;)

Sean Connery/RM are classics

Timothy Dalton was good in 1 but not the 2nd. He was a little too rough, but decent and looked the part.

Pierce looks the part, but his scripts are terrible, I haven't liked any of the recent Bonds (partially b/c of the stupid newage PC writers.. A female M, wtf).

Connery was IMO the best mix between sex, violence, wit and british twinkle-eyed humour, closely followed by Brosnan.

Dalton was terrible in "License to kill" 'cause he tried to make Bond a "deep" character, and took it to seriously. "Daylights" was quite enjoyable though.

Lazemby was the worst though, which was not entirely his fault though; the producers tried to hard to make him a copy of Sean - which was bound to fail.

In the end, asking people for their favourite Bond is like asking for their fav colour or beer brand - to each his own.

Connery may or may not have been the best Bond on merit, but he defined the role, so he's pretty much de facto the best. Roger Moore was arguably the most successful... but success and quality aren't the same thing. The post-Moore Bonds have all been pretty average I reckon, partly their fault partly the plot they're acting out these days.

With a bit of luck the producers will get someone in who can *really* carry off the part... like Eddie Izzard, or maybe Ricky Tomlinson ;) In all seriousness though, I think the Bond concept is pretty dated these days. The character just looks ludicruous (just like Arnie will in Terminator 4: This Time He's Running For President).

Back