Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by jayco, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Vega86

Newcomer

When Sony isn't shouting at the rooftops, I'd assume lukewarm at best.

2. Vega86

Newcomer

Is the game using Nanite? The world looks so dense.

3. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

So I started the game and went mage and died a few times, then tried Temple Knight and died a few times then started Royal build and started getting the hang of things. Finished 1-1 then went to 3-1(Latvia) after watching FightinCowboy and his Royal build. I know he is a pro, but I am getting my ass handed to me at certain times in 3-1. There's also a key I am missing to free the soldier and the mage. Haven't fought the crossbow lady or the final boss but I am looking for the keys first.

What am I supposed to be doing in terms of the maps?

Boletarian Palace 1
    Stonefang Tunnel 2
    Tower of Latria 3
    Shrine of Storms 4
    Valley of Defilement 5

Are you supposed to kill the Red Dragon on 1-2? I can't get the crossbow or Bow pointer working properly. I can't get it to zoom for some reason.

4. Inuhanyou

Veteran Regular

Sounds like a stretch to me

Its not gonna sell more than ps5s exist but so far its probably doing fine considering

5. chris1515

Legend Regular

And some people want to buy it but when the PS5 is so difficult to find... I would buy it if I can find a PS5. If I want I can buy on clik and collect an Xbox Series S in 2 hours but PS5 or Xbox Series X this is impossible mission.

6. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

You don’t need to kill the red dragon, just run through the burning bridge. You can kill the dragon but wayyyy after if you really must (you don’t get much from doing so) by using poison cloud and soul ray. Not worth it in my opinion.

Unknown Soldier likes this.
  7. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I found that using the a two handed long weapon that you can swing over head is much more effective. You can kill it on the first segment by standing near the first charred bodies and immediately swinging as you hear the first screech.

For me the easiest progression was to do the first level of each world. I also found world 4 to be the easiest to finish first followed by 5 since the bosses are easier in comparison to worlds 2 and 3.

8. jlippo

Veteran Regular

No.

It uses some form of displacement mapping.
    Polygon rendering is most likely still done by traditional GPU rendering path.

chris1515 likes this.
  9. chris1515

Legend Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#529 chris1515, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Vega86 likes this.
  10. Vega86

Newcomer

Is that computationally cheap? The world looks so "full" I'm having a hard time to explain. It's like rocky road insanity. I wish we had more of it.

11. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

yes its quite cheap but can lead to visual artifacts where it looks like the texture is swimming on a surface with angle of the camera changing, also it requires a bit more work to get looking good from the artist.
    I dont think thats the main reason this game looks good, it just has a higher polygon count than evry other game out there. eg look at the bricks above when viewed close by you can see each brick is a separate model with its own shape, unlike how its usually done where the bricks shape is due to the normal/height/displacement texture maps. They just dont look as good

12. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I thought it was combining high detail models with tesselation?

EDIT: googling seems to confirm that.

#532 Arwin, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    London Geezer likes this.
  13. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Actual tessellation part can be quite cheap, but it affects performance of rasterization/shading of those created polygons.

Traditional DX11 style tessellation pipeline has problems. (general inflexibility, Culling, just enabling it on object and not tessellating object may lead to performance drop etc.)
    If compute is used to tessellation and traditional path is used for rendering it should allow more control and thus may result better performance and quality.
    If mesh shaders or similar are used it should be plausible to get even better performance. (We do not know how these things work on Ps5 API, so things may vary a bit.)

All these still have problem with small polygon rasterization/shading due to how rendering of quads happen.
    Demon's Souls most likely uses a deferred renderer, so this will affect only the rasterization pass of g-buffer, not the actual cost of lighting etc. (Well, shadow maps may need to have it as well. )

DX11 method of tessellation is very limited on how much you can tessellate the object, so surface needs to have quite dense polygon for it to work decently.
    If I remember correctly you can divide a polygon edge to 64? edges, which is very small amount if you want to do displacement of any kind. (It isn't enough for 128x128 displacement map for a meter of a wall.)

#533 jlippo, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Vega86 likes this.
  14. Vega86

Newcomer

What game is close or better matching this high geometry game? I'm exaggerating but it looks like you can feel and touch those bricks and walls in this game. Very detailed.

Looking back at Dark Souls, there's so many flat walls.

I just literally saw that in a Dark Souls 3 video yesterday. The leaves look like they were floating on the ground when the camera is panning.

15. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

This game is literally the poster child for tessellation done right.

McHuj, Tkumpathenurpahl, milk and 2 others like this.
  16. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

For good tesselation you need detailed models, eg you need each brick modelled as a seperate entity.
    i.e. tesselating a flat wall will not make it magically look better.

Taking inspiration from the demons souls remake, I've been making a level in my game, no baked lighting, all real time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pharma, DSoup, jlippo and 5 others like this.
  17. Vega86

Newcomer

Broken link?

By the way, what's with the lighting again with this game? It looks pretty good. What console game does the same lighting? Something about Global Illumination?

18. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Did you see the very detailed, long and amazing interview Bluepoint did with DF? I'd very much recommend that, they cover pretty much everything.

19. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

That looks lovely. Can I buy it anywhere?

20. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

broken link? I didnt include any link

Unknown Soldier likes this.