Dell Vs. Alienware

apax999

Newcomer
Hi.

I'm starting to look at getting my next computer. It's definetly going to be a rig pimped for gaming. I'm willing to spend up to $2200 on the computer. As of now, I've narrowed it down to 2 companies - Alienware and Dell. Now I need some help.

What exactly would be different in an Alienware from a Dell? I put together a 2.8ghz with a Radeon 9700 Pro and 512 RAM on Dell for the same price of a 2.4ghz @ Alienware. Supposedly Alienware tweaks the system for you etc., but does anyone know what else this extra $300 is being spent on (besides the nifty case)? Power supply maybe? If anyone can elighten me on this, I would appreciate it much, thanks.

-apax999@yahoo.com

Alienware ocs the vid card, does an amazing wiring job, cooling is waaay above anything you would get in a Dell, case (as you mentioned) is a step up, and the PSU is most definatly better. Why do you care about the PSU anyway? As long as your voltages are fine and your not ocing then you shouldn't worry about the PSU.

Cuz your PSU doesn't only provide the juice for components, it also provides the signal -- the medium for the 1's and 0's. Some el cheapos give so dirty a signal that it can occasionally crash the CPU (even in a grandma configured system). Needless to say, in these cases it can be pretty difficult to tell it was the PSU that crashed Windows while the system was just idling... But if really erratic performance occurs and other hardware/software seems to be OK (or are eliminated), it's worth while to try a quality PSU such as Sparkle, Antec, or Enermax and see if the problem disappears.

My EUR 0,02

HI Apax999,
Im not sure why you would want to pay all that extra money to have someone else build a computer for you. Are you mechanically challenged?
Lack of tools and space? You seem to know what you are talking about and you definately have a need if you are a gamer. My point is, with so much info available on todays websites on how to build a rig its really not that much of a challenge. After you get all the parts, you could build it and have it running all in the same day easy. You can have exactly what you want and be very proud of what you did.
Maybe im missing your point tho,,, if there is one. This is just a friendly suggestion. Lots of guyz buy till they build up enough knowledge and courage to give it a shot themselves. Its well worth it to build your own rig imho.
Good luck either way,

I build PC's - worked for a company that dealt with tech support for major OEM's and was once of the opinion of building your own system = only way.

I have changed my mind now though.

Build your own system if you want to, but there are some amazing deals out there on pre-built systems too.

I would not be ashamed of buying a PC that was pre-built as a second machine.

Back